New Feature: Defensive Positioning Topic

Quote: Originally Posted By longtallbrad on 3/21/2008
Similarly, what put the Rockets over the top for their two titles was, in the end, less the presence of Thorpe or Drexler but the presence of guys like Horry and Cassell who could space the floor for Hakeem.
that and Michael Jordan's absense.
3/21/2008 12:06 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By jakotay on 3/21/2008
Quote: Originally Posted By longtallbrad on 3/21/2008

Similarly, what put the Rockets over the top for their two titles was, in the end, less the presence of Thorpe or Drexler but the presence of guys like Horry and Cassell who could space the floor for Hakeem.
that and Michael Jordan's absense.
Already discussed this Coley. Olajuwon wins with or without MJ. The Rockets absolutely owned the Bulls during the first title run (90-91 through 92-93). Lets face it guys the Rockets were no joke those two seasons. Olajuwon faced and destroyed Hall fo Fame talent.
3/21/2008 12:30 PM
I was only saying that his absence contributed to the Rockets' two championships..... not change it. Jordan would have guarded the wing players and Olajuwon would have done what he did anyways. His presence guarding Drexler and Horry certainly would have affected how they got the ball to Olajuwon.
Just noting the contribution is all.
3/21/2008 1:33 PM
I like having more options for coaching my team.

I like being able to make adjustments after losing a game so next time I face that team some good coaching strategies can change the outcome.

Drafting should only be 1/2 of the equation, good coaching should be the other half.
3/21/2008 5:15 PM
62-63 Big O a perimeter player? questionable - mid is more like it
a) there was no perimeter (at least no 3 pt line)
b) he is known for posting opposing guards
c) 777 FTAs
d) 857 rbds (per game 3rd on his team by only a narrow margin)
3/22/2008 1:26 PM
I played my first game against Wilt with the new rulles:
I played -2 setting.

61-62 season Wilt was held to: 16points 15rebounds 0fouls
I won the game 104-65.

3/22/2008 3:24 PM
I dont want to think how bad it would have been if I had gone all the way to -3
3/22/2008 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By monkee on 3/22/2008
62-63 Big O a perimeter player? questionable - mid is more like it
a) there was no perimeter (at least no 3 pt line)
b) he is known for posting opposing guards
c) 777 FTAs
d) 857 rbds (per game 3rd on his team by only a narrow margin)
Yea, that makes no sense, Oscar should most deninitly be mid-court.

Rasheed Wallace is also rated perimeter for a lot of seasons which also is very questionable, sure he takes lotsa threes for a big man but he also spends a lot of time posting up for his bread n butter turnaround jumper.

I'm sure there's plenty more examples like these two unfortunately.

Admin seems to stick to some mysterious formula rather than basketball knowledge to rate the players which is going to affect the game in a negative way. I guess these are the shortcommings of statistical games...

3/22/2008 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By airstilt on 3/22/2008
I played my first game against Wilt with the new rulles:
I played -2 setting.

I won the game 104-65.

Well that's only one game but it looks very extreme and quite disturbing... If the greatest statistical post player ever can be handled that easily it means that the new defense strategy is outa whack.

Guess i'll wait to hear more comebacks from that and let admin adjust the effects a little before starting a new team.

These kinds of upgrades are nice when they work but they have to be adjusted perfectly to not damage the game.
3/22/2008 4:09 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
3/22/2008 4:19 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By airstilt on 3/22/2008I played my first game against Wilt with the new rulles:
I played -2 setting.

I won the game 104-65.

Who is on your team and who was on Wilts team? This is only one game and don't think this is something to worry about yet.
3/22/2008 4:37 PM
yeah boxscore cut and paste PLEASE
3/22/2008 5:15 PM
Ok. I draft a 100 defensive center. Are we saying he will not defend as well if I defend the perimeter?
3/24/2008 5:14 PM
so how's this going so far?
3/26/2008 12:03 PM
I was anticipating Oscar being mid-range before the release, so I was surprised at his permiter assignment.
3/27/2008 10:21 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7 Next ▸
New Feature: Defensive Positioning Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.