Playing Out of Position Topic

Thanks dude. He is a SS.
7/22/2009 10:19 PM
So this question has been turning over in my head for a while, and I was hoping someone could answer it:

How does the sim determine if an OF is a center fielder or a corner outfielder? Is it according to baseball-reference's fielding stats, or does the sim simply assume that, say, a A/A+ outfielder is a center fielder?

I'm likely going to need to play an OOP player at SS in a progressive I am in and I have two excellent center fielders. It would seem to me that they would be the best players to insert at SS, but I need to make sure the sim will recognize them as center fielders and not corner outfielders or generic outfielders.
8/8/2009 3:18 PM
...i think the CF penalty only applies when an unrated DH or 1Bman plays CF...but admin's been unclear about that in the past...so i think your OFers would get the standard OOP penalty plus hits for moving from the OF past 3B and 2B to SS...so 4 hits altogether...i do not think they would be recognized as a CFer moving past 2B to 3B which would be 3 hits...
8/8/2009 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By JohnGPF on 8/08/2009...i do not think...
8/8/2009 3:31 PM
I guess I may as well be specific with what I plan to do and maybe you guys can tell me what is best course of action:

I can either put some combination of below avg AAA shortstops at shortstop, 1969 Bill Sudakis (C+/A- fielding 3B) or Tommy Agee (B+/A fielding CF).

OR I can move 1969 Mike Andrews (C+/A) to SS and Sudakis to 2B, though that would leave me with two mediocre middle infielders as opposed to one good fielder and one awful fielder, which I don't want to do.

It seems to me that Sudakis at SS would be the best choice, especially since I'm unlikely to get a below avg AAA SS with even decent hitting OR fielding (maybe one, but not the other).

Granted, I am going to try to draft at least one SS, which will likely be an average defender with an OPS+ of ~50-60. But will even need a backup for him.
8/8/2009 4:14 PM
to keep it closer
12/2/2009 9:51 PM
bump
12/9/2009 6:59 PM
In a just completed league, I used 1B Mike Hargrove (unrated) in LF the entire season; Keith Hernandez occupied 1B.

Hargrove played 1342 innings and committed 8 errors for a .973 FLD%. Of course, his range was only 1.91.

The interesting thing is that for about the first 50 games or so he had 0 errors. Not sure exactly when the update kicked in, but I'm thinking his 8 errors actually covered the games after the update.
12/9/2009 9:19 PM
Here's another OOP puzzle, also from a progressive. I have three players competing for two positions:

3B with a D+/A-
OF with a B/A-
OF with a B/A+

Would it be worth it to shift one of the outfielders over to the hot corner? The fielding would be about the same or better, but the range takes a hit.

Needing to be factored in, the third baseman is the weakest batter. He hits about 50 OPS# worse than either outfielder.

If you do go with the two outfielders, who stays in CF and who goes to 3B?
12/10/2009 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by teal_leo on 12/11/2009Here's another OOP puzzle, also from a progressive. I have three players competing for two positions:

3B with a D+/A-
OF with a B/A-
OF with a B/A+

Would it be worth it to shift one of the outfielders over to the hot corner? The fielding would be about the same or better, but the range takes a hit.

Needing to be factored in, the third baseman is the weakest batter. He hits about 50 OPS# worse than either outfielder.

If you do go with the two outfielders, who stays in CF and who goes to 3B?

If you're only going to play 2 of them anyway, I'd give the B/A- guy a shot at 3B and play the B/A+ guy in CF. Range isn't quite as important at 3B, and you're not getting good range anyway.
12/11/2009 6:14 AM
bump
3/24/2010 8:28 PM
x
4/12/2010 5:44 PM
I've never really played a guy out of position as catcher so far.

Just looking at this thread, since C is treated differently, does it just mean there's a more extreme penalty or does every non-catcher perform poorly there?

And if ratings at other positions matter, would an A/A first baseman be a worse catcher than an A/A SS?
5/12/2010 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jtpsops on 5/12/2010I've never really played a guy out of position as catcher so far.

Just looking at this thread, since C is treated differently, does it just mean there's a more extreme penalty or does every non-catcher perform poorly there?

And if ratings at other positions matter, would an A/A first baseman be a worse catcher than an A/A SS?

Recently I played 2004 Scott Rolen (3B A/A+) at C for 167.3 Innings with 45 passed balls, 0 of 8 caught stealing, 1.000 FPCT.
5/12/2010 9:14 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...10 Next ▸
Playing Out of Position Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.