more of the D-III Dynasties... Topic

This looks like one of those wide open seasons... with the big dogs (MBBC, SUNY Maritime, UNCW, E. Oregon, etc.) mysteriously absent from the top of the standings. I thought Taz had the best team before the season started because they were stocked with pre-potential guys, but they haven't lived up to the hype.

Who is the favorite to win it all? And since it's so wide open, does it even matter?

Welcome to the age of parity.
4/10/2009 9:48 AM
anyone remember the times when people came in here and talked about the season? when people gave a rip about Wooden D-III, or D-III in general?
4/28/2009 11:19 AM
I know my mcmurry team has dropped off so far I dont even wana check on it in the mornings.
4/28/2009 3:50 PM
Husson Eagles fan since day 1
4/28/2009 10:21 PM
OK, I'll talk about the season and respond to bradshaw. Yup, we're (Chicago) is pretty talented, however we've sucked donkey balls when facing a 2-3 zone, even a crappy one run by a team w/ C IQs (hello larry), and that is where several of our losses have been. Of course these are also fairly talented teams as well, so I knew we'd take a lump or 2 during the season.

Got the 3 seed in conference play after finishing 11-5. Opened up the rist round vs a 6 seed and found myself trailing late, don't remember the exact number but w/ just 2 minutes to go we were down big. Went on to torch the estemed Mr Wronoj's squad to the tune of 22 points in the final 2 minutes of regulation (more than the 19 points we scored in 20 minutes of 1st half play) to send things into overtime, where we proceeded to pull away with ease and knock them off by 7 points or so. We followed that up w/ a siziling performance vs Hobart & William Smith, topping the 90 point mark for the first time in a while.

This is reminiscent of our only title run here at Chicago. We lost a couple of games we shouldn't have, but overall played solid enough all season long. Made a nice push at the end of our first CT game (though this was round 2 as we got a bye that season) then watched the greatest talent in Chicago history (Ben Coomer) blaze thru the NT to lead us to the title. 5th year, pre-potential senior Zeiler has an even more impressive than Coomer, but no postseason title to add to his resume. Could his 25 point performance in round 2 last night be the signal to the start of something special. Could he lead the boys on the magical run that Coomer laid down so many seasons before and restore glory to the Might Maroon name?

Stay tuned
4/30/2009 11:08 AM
This may be my best chance. I am sure I am jinxing it, but my team has played well most of the year and if I can actually win my CT I might get a good enough seed to at least give me a favorable draw to the sweet 16. I have 2 Super Seniors and 1 other senior before potential so they are still getting better and that has helped. Anyway that all being said I am sure I will go down in flames now. :)
4/30/2009 9:07 PM
This Beloit squad is my best ever (which isn't saying too much), and I think I have a shot to push beyond the Sweet 16 (where we lost last season). It's the only time I've ever even contemplated a national title, and I think we've got the talent to win it all. Lots of luck is needed too, I imagine, and I'll be happy to get to the Elite 8.

One thing I like about my squad, by the way, is that it is not entirely dominated by pre-potential players. I do have two key pre-potential players (including one who was redshirted and is now a JR), but the potential players are just as important to our success. I've got a couple of freshman who have played important roles this season.

GL to all as we gear up for the NT!
5/1/2009 10:04 AM
Vegas has installed Beloit as a 5-1 favorite to win it all... you don't stay on top of the RPI for that long by accident.

I wouldn't bet Beloit though; it's too wide-open to take the favorite, and there are probably some good value plays out there. One thing is for sure: this is not Lasell's year. We are a paper tiger, and probably a year away from being a title contender.
5/1/2009 11:28 AM
Anderson is dead. Mostly SR prepotential that totally underacheived. I thought my big men would be real good and open it up for my so so perimeter guards. Won't even make the Pit. 1 season paid for then I think I am done. The team I had this year should have atleast made the NT. Is it coaching probably in the long run. Just not as interested when it becomes tough to predict who will be good.
5/1/2009 12:41 PM
I dunno what to make of this Eureka team this season. Finished non-conference #1 in RPI and held it a couple days into conference play until Beloit grabbed the spot and ran away with it. Beat Chicago when they were the top ranked team. Beat Beloit on the road. Only loss out of conference was to camrun's "dead" Anderson team. Sputtered in the middle of the season losing five of seven in one stretch (including the usual sweep at the hands of MBB). Looked to have turned things around but then got absolutely crushed by Calvin in the CT last night. I'm a lock for the NT, but I dunno how much damage this team will do. Depends on what team decides to show up.

On the bright side, Eureka will finally be on that pretty list after the season
5/1/2009 5:18 PM
Kreller: you've put Eureka on the map. Nice job. Of course you owe half of your success to Danny French, but that's another story...

I hope we don't run into you in the NT!
5/1/2009 6:08 PM
LOL! If you win your game and I win my game...... I wonder. In what sick and twisted way can Danny [Freedom] French crush Beloit's heart this time?

BTW, I know almost any matchup after the first round is sure to involve two great teams, but has there ever been a potential 2nd round game as good as the potential one between Maranatha Baptist and Chicago? Seriously, that's like two legit FF teams meeting in round two. Incredible!

Best of luck in the tournament to everyone.
5/2/2009 3:35 AM
I swear someone on the committee really hates my team. I know seeding and RPI don't go hand in hand, but I finished 8-2 down the stretch, 5-1 vs the top 25, 8th in RPI, 14-2 in conf. I lose in the CT semis and drop all the way down to a 6 seed? Again it doesn't matter because like kreller said beyond rd 1 everything is usually brutal, but I just want to understand what I can do, other than win the CT, to get a better seed. I have a better RPI than teams on the 2 and 3 line. GL everyone.
5/2/2009 8:19 AM
Kreller, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that potential second round matchup. But is it true that Danny French's roommate has the pig flu? It's my only hope....
5/2/2009 12:40 PM
Sweet mother, how would you like to be SUNYM, get a #1, and have John Hopkins be the #2 seed in your bracket? Yikes.
5/2/2009 2:05 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...59 Next ▸
more of the D-III Dynasties... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.