Wichita St Coach Babbling Thread Topic

Dang, 55-41 losers to Sacramento State. Season high 19 turnovers, and both teams went slowdown. I got "pressed". Hopefully I can hang onto my B prestige. 3 openings, $50-60k to spend, should be a fun recruiting season.

My main competition is: Arkansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma. Have to watch early entries, but only Arkansas has 7 openings, the rest are 2-3, so that gives me some hope.
1/23/2010 8:48 AM
I'm considering OK State, by the way.
1/23/2010 2:42 PM
Doh. Just what I need more local competition.

Donald Jones made 1st Team all-american. Hopefully this will be my first draft pick and solidify my B prestige if he is a 1st round pick.
1/24/2010 10:56 PM
Corn knows he wants to grab Bradley.
1/25/2010 9:03 PM
Hahahahawhat?
1/26/2010 1:29 AM
Seriously. If he takes Oklahoma State I'll be forced to destroy him for fun. Plus with all the schools in Arkansas doing well, that is a tough place to be.
1/26/2010 9:12 PM
Bradley isn't really something I'm considering, and Georgetown is in ACC/Ivy territory.
1/26/2010 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By cornfused on 1/26/2010Bradley isn't really something I'm considering, and Georgetown is in ACC/Ivy territory
I know, but you can't blame me for trying.
1/27/2010 11:29 AM
Well so far the job change process has not be so good for recruiting.

Gained Humans: K-State, OK State, Texas A&M-CC

Lost Humans: Arkansas-Little Rock, Iowa (not for long I suspect)

K-State and OK State both have C- prestiges, but with the big 12 money they get they will still be annoying to deal with for 2-star recruits I could have otherwise signed for $3k.

Oh and we picked up a 9th coach in the MVC, teamrc at Bradley, so that is good.
1/30/2010 8:56 AM
Pretty interesting happenings in Allen, I think. W. you guys adding a 9th coach, us (Big Sky) adding a 10th in zhawks and the Ivy likely to continue their great run, I think the distribution of power is probably a bit different here than other worlds.

Many of the BCS teams don't have it so easy. I don't think it has much of an impact on the UNC's of the world, but I think the mid-level BCS teams are probably harder to win at in Allen than in other worlds due to the relative strength of three aforementioned conferences, plus some other strong mids like High Point, Cleveland State, UGWB, Utah, Elon, San Diego, etc.

As you cite above, you're not recruiting against other low/mids, you're competing against BCS teams. Ditto for all of the stronger low/mids in Allen, and it's even tougher when they're grouped in conferences because then they get the benefit of some nice postseason money. (I think postseason money this time around goes (1) ACC (2) Big Sky (3) Ivy. That's a nice weapon.)
1/30/2010 11:02 AM
I agree completely.

The Big Sky, Ivy and hopefully the MVC have real niche's that the Pac10, Big East and Big 12 have to respect. My battles the last 2 years were with Arkansas and Kansas. I think I learned that battling B level BCS schools is ok, A's is not, but still, when I try to figure out what I am going to do this year I am worried about Nebraska, Creighton, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Missouri.

K-State doesn't even really hit my radar (yet) as with a B to C- advantage they will have to REALLY outspend me, and I am not too worried about that happening, but you never can tell I guess.

It will be interesting this year with 2 new coaches in the big 12, things are going to be tighter. I can't tell if this will lead to me sticking closer to home or going farther afield for my recruits. Could go either way. Depends a lot on what Arkansas (7 open) decides to do actually. There is no one in Arkansas. So do they goto OK, KS, MO or LA/MS/TN for recruits?

Many small factors like this really make it difficult to have too much of a plan during recruiting, except that I need a SF, a SG and a PG this time. Hopefully everyone coming into Kansas wants to take one of our extremely good PFs this year.

1/30/2010 12:24 PM
Season 40 Recruiting

Well this year was a boring recruiting session for me. I had $54,000 to fill 3 spots and I needed a PG, SG and SF. Too bad for me, there was zilch in Kansas and Oklahoma for SG and a lot of the surrounding teams (Nebraska, Creighton, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas) needed SGs, so it just wasn't in the cards. I am happy to report that I filled all my scholarships for the first time in 3 seasons.

I will end recruiting with over $25,000, which will help next year and gives me some opportunity to battle with the B-level teams of the B10 and B12.

My first recruit was a local PG that I needed to backup Canchola. I spent about $5,000 on him after Kansas, K-State and I did a little dancing around to get each of us one of the PGs we needed. KU got the 4-star, I got the 3-star and K-State got the 2-star. Not a bad deal. He knows my Offense and half my defense and should be up and running as a solid backup by the start of my tougher noncon games on day 4 when we goto Houston, and by the time we play a tough pressing Weber State team in game 6 he should have a C+ IQ and be able to hold onto the rock a little.

AthSpdRebDefBlkLPPERBHPassWorkSTDUFT
Dustin WybleFr64921651133667571716171%
6'1" 190lbsFr Potentialhighaveavehigh-aveaveavehighhigh-high+aveave
Downs, KS

My second recruit was the first conference mate I have battled. I put about $2000 onto Louis Harrison, a 3-star SF from Missouri in the first cycle, but Kansas and SIU were already there. For some reason Kansas decided that they would rather Mr. Kansas Basktball, and him for SIU and I to battle over. Kmfloyd dropped kind of early and I signed him for $5500. He will be quite good and ready to play as soon as Flood decides to go pro. He will pretty much ride the pine this year though.

Louis HarrisonFr70584971446167344248684860
6'8" 222 lbsFr Potentialhigh-aveavehighaveavehigh-aveavehighhighave
Lees Summit, MO

After this I really did some hard search as far away as LA and WI for a SG I liked, but with only $35,000 to spend, I couldn't find anyone I could recruit from 500-600 miles away successfully that I liked. So I decided that I would go after a local juco who just happened to know the Triangle and Man/Press. What are the chances, right? So I got into a pretty low-key battle with Birmingham Southern (C+, 700 mi) to my (B, 140 mi) and signed Thomas Charland for about $10,000.
2/5/2010 10:21 AM
Thomas CharlandJr61654587175254565055785571%
6'6" 210 lbsFr Potentialhigh-aveaveaveaveaveavelow+avehigh-highlow
Concordia, KS
He adds good depth behind Flood and is my 8th best player instantly. Anyone who reads this know if all the players from his Junior College (Cloud Country Community College in Concordia, KS) will know Triangle/Man/Press or does it reset ever season? If it is constant, that would be pretty nice to know.
2/5/2010 10:21 AM
im curious as well
2/5/2010 12:26 PM
Well after some polling I believe that HS and JUCO sets do remain constant. So I claim everyone from Cloud County Community College :)

Also I think that the balance of power in Allen has started shifting west. The east used to be really really crowded, but with Cheeze leaving Yale and Corn leaving Vermont and most of the new blood coming into the Mountain West, the western half of the USA has just gotten a lot tougher to recruit from. I expect the Big East to improve quickly.
2/6/2010 9:17 AM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15|16 Next ▸
Wichita St Coach Babbling Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.