Quote: Originally Posted By canesyanks13 on 5/15/2009
(1) In my limited experience, it seems like their just aren't enough Styles Of Play. Half-Court, Up-Tempo, and Slow-Down don't give you very many options. Plus, there is very little attention paid to "Situational" O. What happens is: With less than 5 seconds in a quarter, the team will call TO and set up a shot. (2) Also, if your team has Maravich, Freddie Brown, Reggie Miller, etc. wouldn't you want the 3-Point Style the WHOLE GAME?? I think that three options for styles of play is not enough.

(1) Style of play in the nba sim only refers to how quickly a shot will be taken.

(2) Allowing players to only shoot 3s would distort the actual 3PA/FGA ratio that the player had in that real life season.
5/15/2009 10:27 AM

In the 3-Point Style, the team doesn't take ONLY threes, just more. And, as far as Style Of Play, shouldn't it dictate the overall way the Offense operates, like in a real NBA team, since SimLeagues are supposed to replicate what would happen in REAL LIFE.
5/15/2009 11:54 AM
Ashamael's example is a very good, but highly specific, example of the kind of extremely illogical outcome that drives me crazy. Here are some everyday examples that will make any regular sim user groan with recognition:

- A team with mediocre steal%, that is not running a press, forces 28 turnovers.
- A player who is double-teamed scores 40+ points with a 70+% eFG.
- A team comes back from 3-0 or down to win a playoff series.
- A team that won 6 of 8 regular season games (15+ point differential) against its playoff opponent loses the series in 5.

Yes, events like this should happen, but they should be extreme outliers. And they're not - they're happening everyday. When I leave this game it will probably be because my frustration at this stuff finally overcame my enjoyment of the community.
5/16/2009 9:49 AM
any comments from Seble?
5/19/2009 5:10 PM
a week later? no

now do any of you pissants who keep taking up for admin and whining about how abusive some of us users are even begin to understand in the tiniest little way what we are complaining about?

there are real issues with the defensive rating assignments that have yet to be noted let alone addressed

your little exercise here has turned into a circle jerk because seble has pulled his usual disappearing act

and Im the bad guy
5/25/2009 12:37 PM
Lofl, I'll add some levity and irony to this thread...it turns out one of the guys firehawk122 interned/worked with in Washington D.C.'s name was Scott Eble...no joke...and it isn't seble lol.

But yes, as expected, same old song and dance...seble outputting excuses and dodging questions...I'm waiting for his "send a ticket" post any time now...
5/25/2009 10:50 PM
We'll see. Seble was clear at the beginning of this that he wouldn't necessarily be weighing in, but would monitor this thread. What would suffice for me at this point is just a quick note along the lines of "We heard you and will think about it." He hasn't indicated anything about when the next patch might occur, has he?
5/26/2009 8:27 AM
sucker

if he's monitoring this thread where was his response to ashamael? (it's been a week since ash asked for feedback - 2 since seble last posted)

and you're worried about the next patch?

how about fixing this last one? Zach Randolph has a freaking 91 defensive rating! according to the sim this is by far the best defensive season of all time - all time - was it really? no of course it wasnt but there is something dreadfully wrong with the algorythm they used to generate the defensive ratings - but he doesnt want to talk about that
5/26/2009 10:18 AM
Whiner.

But I have to agree with you on some of the defensive ratings for 08-09. I really would like to understand better how they're derived. Troy Murphy's is another that really doesn't make sense.

Admin was responsive several months ago when many owners (including me and probably including you) were objecting to the number of 100 defensive ratings. I'm hoping for responsiveness this time, whether it's an explanation for why it is what it is, or timetable for when changes might be made, or even a "We see your point and we'll put it on the list for later."

Call me what you want...
5/26/2009 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By longtallbrad on 5/26/2009

Whiner.

But I have to agree with you on some of the defensive ratings for 08-09. I really would like to understand better how they're derived. Troy Murphy's is another that really doesn't make sense.

Admin was responsive several months ago when many owners (including me and probably including you) were objecting to the number of 100 defensive ratings. I'm hoping for responsiveness this time, whether it's an explanation for why it is what it is, or timetable for when changes might be made, or even a "We see your point and we'll put it on the list for later."

But I think you can pretty easily argue that they made the DEF ratings worse than what they were before...at least those that should have had high DEF ratings had high DEF ratings....at least the old way there was equal opportunity slurpage. WIS doesn't understand the term "COMFORTABLE MEDIUM"...its always one extreme or the other. Wilt Chamberlain having a 73 DEF rating in the prime of his career is hilarious...among the myriads of other "incorrect" DEF ratings.

Call me what you want...

5/26/2009 10:32 AM
The 08-09 defensive ratings are an abomination. Randolph and Murphy being ranked ahead of ANY seasons of Wilt or Russell makes me cringe. It is also absurd that David Lee is the one of the most expensive players from the season - he is a terrific role player, but by no means a top thirty player in the league.

My one true suggestion has probably been dropped a thousand times before, but I avoided the forums when I started WIS because I wanted to learn the game on my own - here is my major gripe:

ELIMINATE THE COOKIE CUTTER IN THE ODL - monitor the usage of certain players, and if those players are showing up on say, 40% of the teams, RAISE THEIR FREAKING SALARIES. This obviously applies to Nash, Peja, Jesus, Moses, and Rodman more than anyone else.

Nash won back to back MVPs, and his salary for those seasons is under $7MM? Really? Glen Rice averaged a little under 27/game, bombed threes, and he can't crack $5MM?

I know this game is based on stat tables, but I guarantee that most of us play WIS because we are diehards of the sport IRL. Please allow for the ODL leagues to capture real life hoops, if only from a basketball operations standpoint. I will not step foot in another ODL until they do so.
5/26/2009 10:52 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By longtallbrad on 5/26/2009

Whiner.

Admin was responsive several months ago when many owners (including me and probably including you) were objecting to the number of 100 defensive ratings.

that was May 2008

I'm hoping for responsiveness this time, whether it's an explanation for why it is what it is, or timetable for when changes might be made, or even a "We see your point and we'll put it on the list for later."

Call me what you want...

5/26/2009 10:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shapandrew7 on 5/26/2009Nash won back to back MVPs, and his salary for those seasons is under $7MM? Really? Glen Rice averaged a little under 27/game, bombed threes, and he can't crack $5MM?

Nash's minutes are a bit low, but what those two specific examples makes me think is that defense is a bit overpriced. Or that offensive efficiency is underpriced.
5/26/2009 12:24 PM
In the 52M draft league, 2 of the teams currently tied for the best record in the league have negative point differential. Either these are genuinely good teams that the sim has randomly decided to blow out frequently and severely enough to skew their point differential for the entire season, or these are truly lousy-to-mediocre teams that somehow have the best record in the league.

Both of these explanations are highly problematic to me. And this is not uncommon, it is happening to two teams in the same league.

(No jinx intended.)
5/26/2009 2:32 PM
How many games into the season?
5/26/2009 2:35 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...39 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.