Quote: Originally Posted By ncmusician_7 on 9/22/2009

Quote: Originally Posted By monkee on 9/22/2009
how about this formulation: luck is too large an element to success at this point
I don't think luck plays too much of a factor in a 7 game series (but I think I'm in the minority on this topic). I think we might as well agree to disagree on this topic because I haven't seen luck be an overriding factor in the leagues I've played in.

admin/seble recently posted a caveat for new users only familiar with exhibition leagues that 10 games is insufficient sample size to see statistical normalization in the sim

so take it up with them
9/22/2009 9:35 PM
scud, I've always had issues with 98avg - the guy has always had a boner for me. I still stand by my point in the ODL. I didn't pout, I simply decided to quit spending as much time here. In case you haven't noticed, I spend very little time here now, posting rarely. I have one team that's in a progressive league, and it's the only one I intend to play until major issues with this sim are fixed. If those issues don't get fxied b4 I run out of credits, then it'll be too late. which is a shame b/c I liked the concept of this game. As for nc - I feel that he continually comments on this sim as if he knows it and how it works. I'm confident that he *used* to, but I dn't think so anymore. I think I used to know it, too - but now it's to the point where if you have 12 or 16 or 20 or even 24 competent owners in a league together, luck will determine the outcome of that league. If everybody is about the same skill level (or in teh same ballpark) and everybody puts together good teams, you'll see extreme randomness decide who is the winner of the league. Example: The last funk52 and last ODL I was in. (and the ones before that, too).
9/23/2009 3:01 AM
agree with all u said. thanks.
9/23/2009 9:46 AM
It's extremely unfortunate, but I know several other owners, including myself, who are taking pretty much the same stance as ashamael: when our credits are gone, so are we. Having randomness decide outcomes is no good. No amount of "coaching" seems to have any bearing on results. Teams that win 10+ in a row turn around and lose 10+ in a row. The SIM is just too random and frustrating for many people right now.
9/23/2009 10:20 AM
Do you think the degree of randomness has changed significantly since the latest major patch was introduced?
9/23/2009 1:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by super_d_ave on 9/22/2009

With the new rules of defensive positioning and way too many 3's I have yet to win another championship. I try not to go with Malone, Rodman, and 3 guys shooting 3's. I don't recall the last time I saw Bob Pettit.

I would like to see the 'easier' fixes before some of the more complicated sounding suggestions. The cost we pay for defense is not rewarded. I put a 90+ defender on the perimeter and still see Allen, etc. go off. Stockton is my favorite and his 80 defense rarely holds Steve Nash down, yet Nash and his 50 defense does fine against Stockton. So it seems.

I like this line of reasoning a lot. I'm certainly on the list of owners that have had teams start out strong and then tank in the second half of the season (and go from division leader to missing the playoffs). I've had playoff teams lose after 3-0 leads, and some come back from 0-3. But I can't suggest or request a fix without a better understanding of the specific programming that causes these swings.

But it's very easy to wrap one's mind around the undervaluing of defense in the salary structure, and several of the defense ratings and position effectiveness %s that jump out as weird or nonsensical. There are some pretty straightforward adjustments that would take the edge off a lot of the debate in these forums.
9/23/2009 1:45 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By ashamael on 9/23/2009As for nc - I feel that he continually comments on this sim as if he knows it and how it works. I'm confident that he *used* to, but I don't think so anymore.
Based on what? I've won 2 titles since the last major update (which was about a year ago).
9/23/2009 5:34 PM
Lol. This whole thread is ridiculous.
9/23/2009 6:10 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
9/24/2009 4:50 AM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
9/24/2009 5:30 PM
You can practice a draft league by jumping in the ODL.... Everyone's welcomed!
9/24/2009 7:17 PM
9/25/2009 10:39 PM
Their response on this has always been hit and miss.

From the NFL sim:

I got them to add 1983 and 1984 Danny White as a punter (the 1984 Cowboys had no punter at all), but they will not add Danny White as a QB in 1976 to 1979 even though he appeared in every game.

Their response was that "he was a punter". They have QBs listed that did not throw a pass, but he's out because he also punted?

I then sent them game data from NFL.com to show that he appeared in the minimum number of games required (four) at QB in three of the four seasons, but they still would not add him.

They have Devin Hester (DB who played WR) listed in 2007, but do not have Deion Sanders in 1996 (DB who played WR) although Sanders caught more passes.

But they were very helpful when I approached them about the durability of 1987 players who only missed the three "scab" games. They adjusted all those players.

Who knows??
9/25/2009 11:21 PM
Think marble. Think sharp. Think admin. Think customer support.

I'm actually just shocked at the apparent respect colonels seems to show in his tickets toward the enemy...
9/25/2009 11:57 PM
9/26/2009 12:04 AM
◂ Prev 1...26|27|28|29|30...39 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.