I was going to make this long interstitial response to naboimp's response to chesters response to etc

but I wont

naboimp allows that 10 games is insufficient sampling - the original point was that 7 games series are crapshoots if 10 games are insufficient sampling

the question is not randomness or no randomness - its a question of degree - there are programming tricks (some of which used to be in place - when this site had clientele - some of which still is (btw)) that can mitigate and moderate outlier activity

the question is whether there is too much randomness - 10 games is too much
10/23/2009 10:14 AM
While I don't want to get to the point where the whole season can be predicted after 10-12 games, I also don't like CONSTANTLY having the 50-60 (or more) point swings from game to game against the same opponent using the same settings. While that kind of thing happens once in a while IRL, it is very rare - that's why people remember it. The variant factor in the SIM seems way out of control. This is in effect taking away the management abilities of owners, because they already never know what to expect.
10/23/2009 10:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by monkee on 10/23/2009I was going to make this long interstitial response to naboimp's response to chesters response to etcbut I wontnaboimp allows that 10 games is insufficient sampling - the original point was that 7 games series are crapshoots if 10 games are insufficient samplingthe question is not randomness or no randomness - its a question of degree - there are programming tricks (some of which used to be in place - when this site had clientele - some of which still is (btw)) that can mitigate and moderate outlier activity the question is whether there is too much randomness - 10 games is too much
To me that depends on what you're trying to establish. 10 games should generally be more than is needed to identify the better of two teams - unless they are extremely closely matched.

I would hope that 10 games isn't ALWAYS all it takes to determine which teams are the cream of the cream out of a field of 24, or else - as naboimp and all3 suggest - the regular season becomes pretty meaningless and boring.
10/23/2009 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By monkee on 10/23/2009
Quote: Originally Posted By tnbishop on 10/23/2009
wow, some people here don't understand variance.

Michael Jordan has 32 FGA one game and then 12 the next. No, this isn't the sim, it's the 1990 season. Last year the Hornets beat the Nuggets in game 3 of the playoffs and then lost game 4 by 58 points. I can only imagine the nerd rage if that happened in a sim league.
you dont get it - real life doesnt form a good basis for discussion of behaviors in the sim

there are myriad reasons for real life variance having to do with subjective factors that are not accounted for in the sim

the sim is simply stat tables plus chance - there are no factors for emotional intensity, illness, feeling the flow etc etc in the sim

and there shouldnt be because the number one element that maintains competitive balance in this game is the salary valuation of the stats we draft -we pay for 3000 minutes and 30% drb and 90 d and 50% shooting (and we pay a little less for 311 tos or 323 pfs) and if we get 3500 minutes instead of 3000 the competitive balance gets jacked up and if we get 20% drb instead of 30% the competitive balance gets jacked up etc etc

the sim works opposite of real life where stats are simply a descriptor of past outcomes

in the sim stats are the basis for those results - sim outcomes should vary less than real life does

Uhhh, what he said...BOOM!^^^
10/23/2009 11:03 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By RamBeast on 10/22/2009
holy crap... am I looking at a post that is trying to expand on a point and utilized a 16.5% usage against a 13.8% usage and claiming it's a joke ????? jeesh, my engineering degree might be out of date but my level of intelligence has never changed..... if you consider that to be within even 1% of a USEFUL example, you musta been absolutely frickin STONED !!!! I must be drunk off my 2 beers to actually want to join this particular conversation, but are you really even serious with that example ??? I guarantee if you show me the season's stats when it's over that Jerry will have taken the right number of shots (and I don't mean the tequilas that you apparently are on), compared to the bench player that you actually have the idiocy to bring into the conversation....

You must just want to add that to keep your posts up to date or something... that added absolutely nothing to any conversation that even pretended to include an intelligent thought.........
Ummm, if you don't see the problem with a guy with a 2.7 lower usage% taking 2 more FGA and 3 more FTA in almost half the floor minutes played, then you obviously know nothing of how this sim works/is supposed to work.

This is an EXHIBIT A example when I talk about the sim "taking a ****" on players/teams. Like I said yes I still won, and yes it was only one game, but it still happened and I consider the result to be rather ridiculous and unjustifiable. If this happened in one game, how many tens of thousands of other games is this kind of bizarre result going to happen in?
10/23/2009 11:08 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By colonels19 on 10/22/2009
Quote: Originally Posted By naboimp on 10/22/2009

Trevor,

If you think I am misunderstanding your argument, than make your argument clearly and concisely. I have and out of the respect for the owners in the NBA sim not named naboimp or pimp or whatever it is, I won't continually repost what I've already posted. As far as I can tell from some of your prior postings, you seem to think there is something wrong in the way the sim generates the random numbers moreso than the fact that they are generated, which is really an entirely different issue altogether (technique v. theory). I have no problem that random numbers are generated...that's plain ridiculous because EVERY simulation game has to have some random number generation....the problem with the numbers that generate is that they seem to/tend to cluster and that's a sign of pseudo randomness which other owners have pointed out...the clustering that is. http://www.boallen.com/random-numbers.html Like I said, if I thought this WIS sim or the other WIS sims generated numbers through true randomness, I would have shut up a long time ago.
The article is demonstrating a weakness of a specific function within a specific language. Not all functions in all languages. While PHP Rand() will repeat itself every 32000 numbers or so, any modern language's default rng is exponentially greater. Custom implementations, even within PHP can stretch that number towards infinite. Who even gives a **** about PHP? The NBA sim isn't a web script, retard.

Any lack of variation is coming from implementation of the random numbers, not the random numbers themselves. Quit pretending that programming is checkers.

(Apparently you didn't digest this last time...)
10/23/2009 11:13 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By gin_caesar on 10/23/2009

Trevor,

If you think I am misunderstanding your argument, than make your argument clearly and concisely. I have and out of the respect for the owners in the NBA sim not named naboimp or pimp or whatever it is, I won't continually repost what I've already posted. As far as I can tell from some of your prior postings, you seem to think there is something wrong in the way the sim generates the random numbers moreso than the fact that they are generated, which is really an entirely different issue altogether (technique v. theory). I have no problem that random numbers are generated...that's plain ridiculous because EVERY simulation game has to have some random number generation....the problem with the numbers that generate is that they seem to/tend to cluster and that's a sign of pseudo randomness which other owners have pointed out...the clustering that is. http://www.boallen.com/random-numbers.html Like I said, if I thought this WIS sim or the other WIS sims generated numbers through true randomness, I would have shut up a long time ago.

The article is demonstrating a weakness of a specific function within a specific language. Not all functions in all languages. While PHP Rand() will repeat itself every 32000 numbers or so, any modern language's default rng is exponentially greater. Custom implementations, even within PHP can stretch that number towards infinite. Who even gives a **** about PHP? The NBA sim isn't a web script, retard. You can wonder all you like, but you don't know that WIS doesn't use SOME SORT of pseudo randomness. Like I said, if I was convinced that WIS used TRUE randomness, I would shut up and never say a damned word, edgewise, but I don't know that and probably will never know that, and I'm not just going to take somebody's word for it, or listen to someone who gets his kicks trolling after and trying to one up me after everything I say. You can say I'm an ******* if you like, but I need proof, especially when the results say otherwise...especially with the clustering problems.

Any lack of variation is coming from implementation of the random numbers, not the random numbers themselves. Quit pretending that programming is checkers.

Another nice ASSUMPTION on your part...you don't know...we don't know. I'm not claiming to be some sort of computer and or programming expert, but when the game's on its death bed, everything should probably be analyzed, no? Justly or not, I will not be satisfied until it is proven to me that TRUE randomness is implemented in these games.

10/23/2009 11:23 AM
Does the exhib SIM use a different engine? I like what I see there more than the full season. Defense actually seems to be effective, rendering the cookie cutters to .500 status.

As for RL vs. SIM....

The way I see it, there are 13 stat categories, plus offensive and defensive styles and settings. There is plenty of variance possible already. No need to have Wilt+MJ teams go for 2/4 from the line for the game. That ain't variance, its a rip off.

10/23/2009 12:41 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By longtallbrad on 10/23/2009

Quote: Originally posted by monkee on 10/23/2009
I was going to make this long interstitial response to naboimp's response to chesters response to etc

but I wont

naboimp allows that 10 games is insufficient sampling - the original point was that 7 games series are crapshoots if 10 games are insufficient sampling

the question is not randomness or no randomness - its a question of degree - there are programming tricks (some of which used to be in place - when this site had clientele - some of which still is (btw)) that can mitigate and moderate outlier activity

the question is whether there is too much randomness - 10 games is too much

To me that depends on what you're trying to establish. 10 games should generally be more than is needed to identify the better of two teams - unless they are extremely closely matched.

I would hope that 10 games isn't ALWAYS all it takes to determine which teams are the cream of the cream out of a field of 24, or else - as naboimp and all3 suggest - the regular season becomes pretty meaningless and boring.
but we agree that 10 games should be plenty to decide issues of clear 'on paper' superiority

and 'on paper' should be the determinant - on paper IRL means less due to subjective factors than it should in the sim since on paper in the sim is based on objective stat expectations we paid for

ideally if teams are closely or equally matched then you are right, 10 games isnt going to be enough nor should it be

but an underlying problem is that often a team superior in certain stat categories loses because of outlier outcomes in those specific categories - the strong rebounding squad loses the battle of the boards to a team that has concentrated its assets elsewhere - the strong defensive squad neither holds its weak defensive opponent down nor benefits with more efficient offense against that weak defense etc etc

if on the other hand those losses came because of the other team's strengths (not its on paper weaknesses) then we wouldnt have a problem we would have a competitive sim where there was more than one way to skin the rabbit which should be the goal really

that's how you keep things interesting not by simply substituting randomness for a justification for unearned parity but rather by balancing the impact and salary valuation of all stats and conditionals

that way the salary cap acts as it should to make drafters pick their poisons and live with them - that's how you get competitive balance
10/23/2009 1:35 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By badja on 10/23/2009

Does the exhib SIM use a different engine? I like what I see there more than the full season. Defense actually seems to be effective, rendering the cookie cutters to .500 status.

As for RL vs. SIM....

The way I see it, there are 13 stat categories, plus offensive and defensive styles and settings. There is plenty of variance possible already. No need to have Wilt+MJ teams go for 2/4 from the line for the game. That ain't variance, its a rip off.

Regular TRUE randomness is going to provide all the variance the game needs...the game doesn't need further randomness to simulate uncontrollable real life factors such as the ebbs and flows, emotions of players and teams in a given game/stretch of games, and that's what seems to happen from time to time. I'm fine with regular randomness...all games NEED it, but excessive randomness to offset/override the things we CAN'T control is ridiculous and leaves no reason to play the game if the sim is just going to trump what your players are set to do, according to your own personal coaching style(s).

10/23/2009 2:36 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By colonels19 on 10/23/2009

Trevor,

The article is demonstrating a weakness of a specific function within a specific language. Not all functions in all languages. While PHP Rand() will repeat itself every 32000 numbers or so, any modern language's default rng is exponentially greater. Custom implementations, even within PHP can stretch that number towards infinite. Who even gives a **** about PHP? The NBA sim isn't a web script, retard. You can wonder all you like, but you don't know that WIS doesn't use SOME SORT of pseudo randomness. Like I said, if I was convinced that WIS used TRUE randomness, I would shut up and never say a damned word, edgewise, but I don't know that and probably will never know that, and I'm not just going to take somebody's word for it, or listen to someone who gets his kicks trolling after and trying to one up me after everything I say. You can say I'm an ******* if you like, but I need proof, especially when the results say otherwise...especially with the clustering problems.

Another nice ASSUMPTION on your part...you don't know...we don't know. I'm not claiming to be some sort of computer and or programming expert, but when the game's on its death bed, everything should probably be analyzed, no? Justly or not, I will not be satisfied until it is proven to me that TRUE randomness is implemented in these games.

Stop accusing me of trolling to try and make up for the fact that you're talking out of your *** and I called you on it, again. I post on this site. You should know that by now.

You're clearly out of your league on this issue, so I'll attempt to level with you here - I'm not saying there isn't a problem with percieved randomness from an end-user perspective because I think there is, I'm just saying that there is too much going on between places where the rng would be used in the code and the end-result of a simulation game for the rng to be causing a player's cold streak. Although I see why you as a layman might connect the two, that example doesn't illustrate anything to me as a programmer relative to your conclusion. You might as well be fingering a suspected syntax error.
10/23/2009 3:05 PM
i got a question here.....

at the end of games how does the sim determine who takes the last shot or who the ball will be in-bounded to when the other team must foul?

im guessing its the guy with the highest usage.....ive noticed with my wilt team that he usually ends up at the line for clutch end game free throws....which is obviously no good

there should be a setting for that or the sim should always have the highest FT% guy do it just like in real life
10/23/2009 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By gin_caesar on 10/23/2009Stop accusing me of trolling to try and make up for the fact that you're talking out of your *** and I called you on it, again. I post on this site. You should know that by now
You're clearly out of your league on this issue, so I'll attempt to level with you here - I'm not saying there isn't a problem with percieved randomness from an end-user perspective because I think there is, I'm just saying that there is too much going on between places where the rng would be used in the code and the end-result of a simulation game for the rng to be causing a player's cold streak. Although I see why you as a layman might connect the two, that example doesn't illustrate anything to me as a programmer relative to your conclusion. You might as well be fingering a suspected syntax error.

I'll be very matter of fact with this...yes you do troll for one, and two, you don't know that they don't use pseudo randomness and I don't know that they do use pseudo randomness, so stop trying to paint this like you're right and I'm wrong, because it isn't really clear cut. You're saying your opinion is right and mine isn't because you know more about programming than I do, when this really has nothing to do with it. Yes I do think there is a problem with their implementation of randomness, however I also think its fair to question whether they use TRUE randomness or not, because that too would have a major outcome on how the game operates...those bitmaps show how clusters could happen, even if those programs aren't used in web scripts or what have you...it shows you that pseudo randomness can cluster, and that's what I'm trying to convey. I'm no expert, but when I first saw those examples of true and pseudo randomness, I immediately thought of and wondered which WIS used, and I think I have fair reason to believe that SOME SORT of pseudo randomness is used on this site, in most if not all games.
10/23/2009 7:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by monkee on 10/23/2009you dont get it - real life doesnt form a good basis for discussion of behaviors in the simthere are myriad reasons for real life variance having to do with subjective factors that are not accounted for in the simthe sim is simply stat tables plus chance - there are no factors for emotional intensity, illness, feeling the flow etc etc in the simand there shouldnt be because the number one element that maintains competitive balance in this game is the salary valuation of the stats we draft -we pay for 3000 minutes and 30% drb and 90 d and 50% shooting (and we pay a little less for 311 tos or 323 pfs) and if we get 3500 minutes instead of 3000 the competitive balance gets jacked up and if we get 20% drb instead of 30% the competitive balance gets jacked up etc etcthe sim works opposite of real life where stats are simply a descriptor of past outcomesin the sim stats are suppsed to be the determining basis for those results - sim outcomes should vary less than real life does

No, you don't get it.. or perhaps don't have any understanding of variance or randomness. A game like poker would drive you nuts.

I don't see how real life is any different. You can average Jordan's 1990 season and show he had say 27 FGAs a game. You know for a fact he shot that number per game. Then look back and see a bunch of 37s and 15s. Would that surprise you?

Ok, look at it this way... You're not buying 30% of all defensive rebounds with Dennis Rodman. You're buying a 30% chance for each rebound. (assuming everyone else is average). Some games you'll pull down 17, others 8. That's just how math works.

10/23/2009 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By colonels19 on 10/23/2009

Stop accusing me of trolling to try and make up for the fact that you're talking out of your *** and I called you on it, again. I post on this site. You should know that by now.

I'll be very matter of fact with this...yes you do troll for one, and two, you don't know that they don't use pseudo randomness and I don't know that they do use pseudo randomness, so stop trying to paint this like you're right and I'm wrong, because it isn't really clear cut. You're saying your opinion is right and mine isn't because you know more about programming than I do, when this really has nothing to do with it. Yes I do think there is a problem with their implementation of randomness, however I also think its fair to question whether they use TRUE randomness or not, because that too would have a major outcome on how the game operates...those bitmaps show how clusters could happen,even if those programs aren't used in web scripts or what have you...it shows you that pseudo randomness can cluster, and that's what I'm trying to convey. I'm no expert, but when I first saw those examples of true and pseudo randomness, I immediately thought of and wondered which WIS used, and I think I have fair reason to believe that SOME SORT of pseudo randomness is used on this site, in most if not all games.
Heh, right...

Programming knowledge has everything to do with it. I can't adequately explain to you the ways in which you're a moron because it would take years to educate you to the point where you can understand. See bolded nonsensical sentence.
10/23/2009 7:41 PM
◂ Prev 1...30|31|32|33|34...39 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.