AAA - Just the Charts Topic

Contrarian

I've seen a few of these before. You are absolutely right that this pitcher is Penny. The key is that WIS lists his BB/100PA as exactly 5.00. That's pretty unsual. The 2009 Penny (partial, SF) faced 161 batters and walked 9. So his BB/100PA is actually 5.59 which fits the charts.

What seems to be happening on the WIS end is sometimes stats get trucated removing the decimal places. This ends up on the version of the player record that gets displayed and searched. The AAA ratings must be generated using the raw data to make the calculations and assign the ratings. So far I've only seen the errors going in this direction, that is the AAA rating is calculated using the correct stat value and the errors, usually whole numbers, wind up displayed and used by the search engine. This results in no hits when using the AAA charts. The 6.00 BB/100AB for Penny's full season stats is probably wrong too.

I found several cases like this when I was trying to figure out how the ratings worked. Set me back a lot of hours. I discovered what was happening by doing what you did - dropping out one variable at a time until I got a hit. Once I had positively ID'ed a few of these players I finally figured out there was incorrect data in their display records and the search engine was using it.

If you can, turn in a ticket and get WIS to correct Penny's stats. I hope there aren't any more of these among the 2009 player records.

11/29/2009 2:25 AM
Contrarian

I submitted a ticket already. It turns out that every 2009 pitcher record has the BB/100PA truncated. This stat is a whole number for every 2009 pitcher. Hopefully they'll fix this soon.

11/29/2009 12:32 PM
Thanks merkle, and thanks for your help with this. Your work in compiling (and updating) this thread - and then generously sharing it with all of us - is an awesome service to the WIS community.
11/29/2009 12:40 PM
The story just keeps getting better. It turns out that the K/100AB stat is also truncated for every 2009 pitcher record. They're all listed as whole numbers too. Submitted a ticket for this as well. Until this is fixed any of the AAA pitchers that happen to be from 2009 will be difficult to ID.

And thanks Contrarian. Appreciation is always welcome.

11/29/2009 1:38 PM
^
12/17/2009 1:53 PM
movin' on up, to the top side...
12/23/2009 10:03 AM
^
12/31/2009 10:39 AM
These charts are awesome and it is fun uncovering the mystery of these guys. When they turn out to be studs it's even better.

A couple of questions:

It works - most of the time - for the position players. Sometimes the guy just wont reveal. Is that the same for you or can you make any of them appear?

The pitchers seems to not offer enough information.
I have C="8," V="3," E="10," S="A." Plus he is r-handed. I have it narrowed down to 9 guys. Where do I go from here?

thanks
12/31/2009 8:25 PM
Have you checked his defense? Also, starter or reliever?

It's very rare that you can't narrow it down to exactly one guy.

Also, for position players, it should always give you at least one possibility. I have never had it fail to come up with someone.
12/31/2009 9:40 PM
I've found lots of examples of RP that can't be narrowed down to one player, especially those with 10 velocity/10 effectiveness ratings. And yes, that includes looking at defensive ratings. In the example above, fielding ratings will work to narrow it down to one.

I agree with contrarian on the position players. Since the last update, I've found that I occasionally have to widen the range/fielding numbers to get it to work. If I don't get a hit the first time on a B/B+ fielder, for example, for fielding I'll enter a range from B- to B+ and for range B to A-.
1/1/2010 1:39 AM
The reason that relief pitchers are the most likely to produce multiple hits from WIS searches is that there are a lot them with records in the SIM.

The 10 velocity rating isn't much help. It's set pretty low for modern era pitchers. 16.5 K's per 100AB usually translates into less than 5.5 K's per 9 innings. So there are a great many pitchers, especially modern relievers, who are rated 10. If your pitcher is right handed that's about 70% of the total.

So even if your righty RP with 10 Velocity is rated 10 in Effectiveness and has Stamina E there are still over 900 records in the WIS database that match. Even with Control and fielding ratings added you can still find instances where you get multiple hits. The number of possibles is even higher for some other effectiveness ratings.

If you get multiple hits for a pitcher I'd suggest to look at the salary ranges for the various levels of AAA listed at the beginning of this thread to see if you can narrow down the possibles your searches produce.

You can also check to see if your AAA guy bats right, or switch. Sometines this will allow you to resolve the identity of the player or narrow the field. For the AAA pitcher just click on his "Ratings" to see how they bat. For the pitchers that show up on your searches click their name and then click "Performance History" to see what WIS thinks this is. (How real these are for most American league relievers for the last 3 plus decades is debatable.) This is most likey to help if your AAA guy is a switch hitter, a righty who bats or a y who bats right.

Still there are some AAA pitchers that can't be resolved.

Outfielders are similar on the postion player side, but still not as problematic as relief pitchers.
1/1/2010 4:51 AM
^
1/8/2010 9:48 AM
1/24/2010 12:45 AM
bump
2/10/2010 11:06 PM
wow, I got 2 above average pitchers, one is 4 effectiveness with a 4.31 ERC# and one is 5 effectiveness with a 4.30 ERC#
2/18/2010 8:00 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...26 Next ▸
AAA - Just the Charts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.