Official © Yankees 2014 1st place!!! Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 11/1/2010 12:26:00 PM (view original):
I'll remember.   Philly-TB was sucky ratings too.  And everyone was saying "Yay!!!  'bout time we got someone new!!!"

But they didn't watch.
I really don't give a crap about TV ratings, if FOX doesn't renew their contract with MLB, there will be another network to pick it up, probably not as much money but there will always be baseball on TV.  Anyway, FOX has not exactly been a great partner for MLB as far as fans are concerned.  Having the playoffs extend into November is ridiculous.  The sooner FOX and Bud Selig are removed from MLB the better off baseball will be.
11/1/2010 12:38 PM
Not sure how you can blame November baseball on FOX and Selig.    The owners and the MLBPA have a hand in that too.
11/1/2010 12:45 PM

Nonetheless, when no one watches, it's not a good thing for anyone.    Since you're my age, I know you recall the one game a week.   We'll never go back to that but it could end up on Versus with the NHL. 

11/1/2010 12:46 PM
As fans, I think we might be better off with the one (or 2-3) game(s) a week national broadcast, as long as we can catch our favorite team on local stations/cable systems.  As of now we are inundated with games every day of the week, good for the fanatic but not the casual fan.  The money lost from not having a major network contract would definitely hurt most of the smaller markets, but in my opinion, I think MLB could use a little contraction anyway.

Eventually I see MLB Network taking over the playoffs and WS, but that's a little while down the road.
11/1/2010 12:59 PM
I honestly can't see how we'd be "better off" with 1-3 national games per week.   I didn't buy the baseball package this because I spent way too much time watching baseball over the last 2-3 years(I still ended up watching 3-4 per week) but consumers consume.   If they're not on a network, people will find another way.  While you might make a claim about overexposure, anyone can stop from being overexposed on TV by not watching.  

The problem baseball has, at this very moment, is that these teams aren't "national" teams.    Throw that in the "Football is king" mix and you get no viewers.  Baseball needs to figure out a way to conclude their season in September.    Playoff baseball can compete with Week 2 of football but with a 12(NCAA) or 16(NFL) season, it can't beat mid-season football.   The only way that can happen, and you can't start MLB in March, is to cut a dozen games off the season, lose a few off days and schedule a few doubleheaders.   Owners aren't interested in a shorter season, MLBPA isn't interested in losing off days and neither of them want doubleheaders.   That can't be blamed on Selig, FOX or the snoozefest of a WS.
11/1/2010 1:15 PM
When I went to the Giants Padres game in SD there were tons of fans all over the place after the game, there was more orange and black on the streets than there was blue and white. Giants fans are all over and are very loyal, so I don't know why TV viewing was so low. I do know that baseball viewership has gone down over the years, that probably has a lot more to do with it than anything else. When you're talking about ratings what you're really talking about is how big the potential bandwagon market is, because loyal fans will watch no matter what.

The only WS I wouldn't bother watching would be Dodgers/Yankees. They would probably have pretty good ratings because LA and NY are big markets, but it wouldn't be worth watching IMO. "Snoozefest" is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of NY/LA bandwagoners would watch, and would need Tim McCarver to explain to them exactly what a squeeze play is and who Mariano Rivera is.
11/1/2010 1:31 PM
Really all you're doing is repeating what I just posted.   Yanks/Dodgers would have a big rating(comparitively) because they're "national" teams.   But baseball viewership has gone down across the board because of football.  Baseball needs to recognize.  
11/1/2010 1:42 PM
Help baseball! Their ship is sinking! Viewership is so low that all teams are losing money!

Right? No?

Oh, OK...nevermind.

Back to your pointless discussion. A discussion which has grown to 16 pages from you - an "uninterested fan".
11/1/2010 3:17 PM

Oh, c'mon, the topic changed to this snoozefest of a series on page 13. 

Losing money or not, I think MLB would like people to watch their championship games.   Do you disagree?

11/1/2010 3:23 PM
I'm watching. Me = an army of one.
11/1/2010 4:08 PM
I thought that was kermit.
11/1/2010 4:11 PM
The Giants fan is getting uppity.
11/1/2010 4:19 PM
Melo is being sued for copyright infringement as we speak. TRY TO WATCH THE WORLD SERIES WITH A BUNCH OF LAWYERS CHASING YOU DOWN, MISTER!!!!
11/1/2010 4:50 PM
Posted by kermit on 11/1/2010 12:29:00 PM (view original):
This is why the NBA cheated the Bucks in '01.
This made me laugh out loud.
11/1/2010 4:55 PM
You're welcome.
11/1/2010 5:11 PM
◂ Prev 1...14|15|16|17|18...41 Next ▸
Official © Yankees 2014 1st place!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.