Few Questions About Ratings Topic

1. How much does speed, strength, and stamina really matter.

2. Should I pay more attention to instinct ratings or skill ratings.

3. What skills are important for what positions. Like if I want a dominant scorer what attributes should I look for.

4. Not about ratings but... How often is the free agent market replentished is it at the beginning of every season.

5. What age do players retire/ lose lots of skill.

6. And finally... How quickly do players develop skills. I signed two 42 OVR defenders who are 19 and a 20 year old 44 OVR forward. Are they going to be beasts in their primes?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I am just in my first season and I am in third place in my league.
6/14/2009 10:32 PM
At this point nobody knows the exact answer to your question but here are my opinions.

1. stamina is important (at least above 50) the others not so much.

2. by far skill ratings

3. forward (shooting, cor offense, fk offense, heading, recieving, striking) mid (everything) defense (marking, tackling, heading, cor defense, cor fK)

4. just the beginning of the season as far as I know

5. They start to go down around 28 or 29 but playing time matters.

6. not very fast unless they are 21 or lower.
6/14/2009 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By jason5 on 6/14/2009

At this point nobody knows the exact answer to your question but here are my opinions.

1. stamina is important (at least above 50) the others not so much.

2. by far skill ratings

3. forward (shooting, cor offense, fk offense, heading, recieving, striking) mid (everything) defense (marking, tackling, heading, cor defense, cor fK)

4. just the beginning of the season as far as I know

5. They start to go down around 28 or 29 but playing time matters.

6. not very fast unless they are 21 or lower.

6. Are we talking one a season over 21 or maybe 0 (If that is the case I have signed a few players for ridiculously long contracts)
6/14/2009 11:03 PM
1. My minimum for stamina is 50, but usually at least 60. Stamina effects how well a player plays towards the end of the game as well as fatigue percentage

2. I'm not so sure about this, most users prefer higher skill, but I actually believe instinct is more important than most people credit it. Forwards need offensive instinct, Defenders need defensive instinct, and mids need both.
6/14/2009 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By ssmithfan98 on 6/14/2009
6. And finally... How quickly do players develop skills.
The young players available in the first two or three seasons of a world don't seem to improve very much. People can give you guidelines, but

• the variation is immense and
  • without the season info attached, such guidelines would be pretty useless.
6/14/2009 11:09 PM
5. Many can still play reasonably well into their mid thirties.

6. This is what i've noticed:
18 years: max 5 points gain overall
19: max 4
20: max 3
21: max 2
22: max 2
23-29: maybe 1 every two or three seasons

Thus, if a player was playing a lot of games, he could gain at the maximum of 16 points in his youth. So your 42 defender has potential to be 50+.
6/14/2009 11:16 PM
So is it better to sign a proven veteran or a decent very young player.

I signed two 28 year olds that are 57 and 58 OVR.

And I signed the 19s and the 20. Which was the better deal?
6/14/2009 11:22 PM
Just for the heck of it does anyone know how to post player skill ratings without skrewing up the format of the page.
6/14/2009 11:30 PM
Most championship teams are built with veterans because they have higher skill.

Ratings posting is a very good question, can never figure out how it's done.
6/15/2009 8:25 AM
internet explorer. Copy and Paste
6/15/2009 1:51 PM
ah well, i have a mac and don't have internet explorer. too much work to download it just for this
6/15/2009 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By madden0001 on 6/15/2009internet explorer. Copy and Past
Does this work on Vista and Internet Explorer 8. I tried that and the post gets all messed up.
6/16/2009 5:11 PM
I've tried safari and firefox but neither work.
6/16/2009 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ssmithfan98 on 6/14/2009So is it better to sign a proven veteran or a decent very young player.I signed two 28 year olds that are 57 and 58 OVR.And I signed the 19s and the 20. Which was the better deal?

The 28 year olds are the better deal, if they were signed for a one-year contract. They'll give an immediate return, while the younger guys are potentially good players.
As far as improvement goes, I'm starting to notice something with the young players. I signed an 18 year old in season 3 with a 42 overall, and he went up to 48 by the end of the season. Halfway through season 4, he's up to 51 BUT... his ratings aren't progressing at the same rate. This is more proof that there's probably a hard cap on the potential ratings that we can't see.

For example, his offensive corner kick went from 39 to 50 in the first season, but from 50 to 54 so far this season. Also, his shooting went from 24 to 31 last year, but from 31 to 33 so far this year. It's really iffy on what to expect from those guys - a high-risk, potentially high-reward type of investment. Sign a prodigy to a 5 year deal for next to nothing, you're looking good. Get a dud for that time, and it locks up roster space and payroll until the contract expires.
6/17/2009 6:31 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By ssmithfan98 on 6/14/20091. How much does speed, strength, and stamina really matter
Much ... not much ... much.
6/17/2009 10:47 PM
123 Next ▸
Few Questions About Ratings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.