Progressive Lg. Feedback and Suggestions Topic

Please follow the link for a discussion on the current state of progressive leagues and suggestions for improvements.

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=391314
7/1/2009 5:41 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
7/12/2009 7:28 PM

Quote: Originally Posted By firecapt on 7/17/2009

I received a response back from my ticket:

"There are many great suggestions here. We'll see what we can incorporate in our next round of updates. We may reach out to the group when we get closer."

At this point, this is all we can expect. Admin can't just snap their fingers and implement the whole thing. I hope that admin will seriously consider all or at least part of what we posted. Again I want to thank everybody that submitted ideas.

7/18/2009 1:12 PM

All Forums > MLB SimLeagues
Topic: HELP PLEASE ABOUT progressive league

Quote: Originally Posted By amycox67 on 7/23/2009
CAN some one tell me how these leagues works I have wonder about them but I dont know any thing about it

Quote: Originally Posted By JohnGPF on 7/23/2009

...i like double season progressives...there will be 2 seasons to draft players from---let's say 1940 and 1970...pretending it the first season, ALL the players in the database for 1940 and 1970 go into a draft pool and there is a draft held in the league's private forum (one just like this devoted to the league)...everybody drafts their 25 players from either season...whomever you want that hasn't been picked when it's your turn to draft...when you draft you have the rights to that player until you wish to give them up...

...as the season winds down you submit your "keepers" which is the list of players whose rights you wish to retain...they are not eligible to be drafted by anyone in the next draft because they are your players...then it's the 1941/1971 draft and all the players whose rights are not held by anyone go into the draft pool...etctetc...

7/23/2009 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By bklynborn on 7/23/2009

Quote: Originally Posted By crazystengel on 7/23/2009
Having a good season in a prog league is much more rewarding than a good season in any other kind of league. It really feels like "your" team after multiple seasons of drafting and managing all the players.

And even the bad seasons don't hurt so much, because you at least have a high draft pick to look forward to and better days ahead.
Y'hit the nail on the head, crazy...one doesn't seem to mind the "rebuilding" seasons.

I've taken over some clunkers & have led them to decent(if not playoff & WS) seasons.

If you're looking for a new challenge, amy...I highly suggest Progs.

7/23/2009 2:31 PM

Topic: Argument in Progressive poll

Link to thread illustrating draft and roster issues which may be prevented in the future with improvements put in place by administration.

Quote: Originally Posted By biglenr on 7/24/2009

Please... No names named here... It's pretty easy to figure out what league I'm talking about, but everyone is acting in what they consider to be good faith, and there's no point in trashing anyone's reputation. Thanks.

Ok... Here's the situation. I am neither owner A nor owner B, both of whom (though) are in my division (just mentioning that in case you think I'm trying to alter competitive balance). Both of these guys are outstanding owners in the sim, each has way more champoinships than I do.

Last season, Owner A posted his keeper list. He had a useful backup OF in Lee Maye on it. The commish of the league eventually built the draft list for the league, and he INCLUDED Lee Maye on the available player list Nobody noticed this until late in the draft, when Owner B drafted Lee Maye at the very end of the draft, when he was making up a bunch of missed picks.

Because owner A had already entered his team, he wasn't watching the thread any longer when owner B drafted his player.

A few weeks into the season, owner A was playing owner B and noticed that Lee Maye was on the Owenr B's team... He called him out on this, and the whole situation was discovered.

At that time the commish made a decision... Both teams could keep Lee Maye this season, but the rights to him in future years went to Owner B, who drafted him in this years draft. The commish felt that the error was on the part of owner A for not catching the commish's mistake in posting the available players.

Admittedly, Lee Maye is NOT an important player. But precedents are important... I'd hate to have a similar situation with an important player.

Ok... here's the poll....

1 question

Who should get the rights to Lee Maye

(1) - Owner A, who drafted him originally, and listed him correctly as a keeper

or

(2) - Owner B, who drafted him last year after seeing him on the available player listing

Thanks for your input.

7/26/2009 3:32 AM

bump for Proxy mix up in Reach For Tomorrow 1933/1973 Progressive Draft

Quote: Originally Posted By firecapt on 8/02/2009

I feel that this situation has not been handled well. By all parties involved.

1. The commish posted he was available for proxies and messed up, he failed.

2. Shysters3 only sent a proxy to 1 person. Failed.

3. I was the first person to pick after the posting of the missed proxy. I failed.

4. The commish failed to announce a solution. Fail.

5. We continued the draft. Many failed.

I cannot speak for everyone involved. But I can speak for myself. I was wrong when I made my pick. I should have posted that I would hold up my pick until this issue was resolved. I believe everybody behind me would have honored this move and held up the draft for a few minutes/hours. But I didn't, I started the ball rolling downhill getting deeper and deeper into the mess we are in now. I feel bad that I helped this screwup. Only because I was in a hurry to pick, shoulda thought it thru better.

I for one would not have a problem with backing up. Let's to the right thing here. The ball is in Outbackers court here. I will agree with whatever he decides is best for the league.

Anyways, my two bits.

8/2/2009 2:00 PM

Topic: I’m trying to find...

Quote:
Originally Posted By shoelesjoe on 8/08/2009

....the best way to determine how many players are draft eligible for each season.

As it stands I would have to subtract each players multiple team stats to get it.

I just want to type say 1950 to see how many players are available to draft for that season.

Is there a way?

8/9/2009 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By shoelesjoe on 8/09/2009

Quote: Originally Posted By Ox on 8/08/2009

"Full" won't work because you are then eliminating all players that were traded mid-season. Those players will not appaer at all. Full/combined is the best way to do it.

....I see it now,

thanks uncleal & ox,

it sucks that we have to delete multiple players manually instead of just getting a correct number, considering that there's so many progressives going.

8/9/2009 2:28 PM

bump for survey

9/4/2009 3:30 PM

Quote: Originally Posted By sheller on 9/09/2009

If it helps, the underlying rationale behind automating the draft, and the league, is to decrease drudge work for the commissioner and, more importantly, eliminate errors.

The common errors include -

- owners/commissioners leaving a player or two off their keeper roster
- commissioners creating faulty available player lists (usually missing someone's kept player. If you don't discover it early enough you can really disrupt a draft.
- commissioners missing a drafted player (usually by bolding out or deleting the player in the available players list)
- owners drafting a player who is either unavailable or had been drafted earlier

Running a draft demands attention to detail, and even the best commissioners and owners are only human. The detail stuff could be handled much better by the computer.

btw - I want to join in the thanks to tzent & the site staff for attending to this too.

All Forums > MLB Theme League Owners Forum
Topic: Progressive league owners - ideas needed

9/10/2009 2:12 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
9/10/2009 2:20 PM

Topic: Progressives: WIS eligible player lists

Quote: Originally Posted By genemock91 on 6/10/2009

i run a couple of progressives and each season I list every player for draft and keepers. i figured if i posted the list i might save some other prog commishes a few minutes/hours of time.

what follows are lists from the seasons i have run already. if you have any FULL comprehensive lists for other seasons please add. DO NOT post impartial lists.

11/11/2009 1:27 PM
Posted by ooooohdoggie on 8/9/2009 6:33:00 AM (view original):

Quote:
Originally Posted By shoelesjoe on 8/08/2009

....the best way to determine how many players are draft eligible for each season.

As it stands I would have to subtract each players multiple team stats to get it.

I just want to type say 1950 to see how many players are available to draft for that season.

Is there a way?

2009 and now what has changed?
2/4/2013 11:54 PM
Posted by ooooohdoggie on 7/23/2009 2:30:00 PM (view original):

Topic: HELP PLEASE ABOUT progressive league

Quote: Originally Posted By amycox67 on 7/23/2009
CAN some one tell me how these leagues works I have wonder about them but I dont know any thing about it

Quote: Originally Posted By JohnGPF on 7/23/2009

...i like double season progressives...there will be 2 seasons to draft players from---let's say 1940 and 1970...pretending it the first season, ALL the players in the database for 1940 and 1970 go into a draft pool and there is a draft held in the league's private forum (one just like this devoted to the league)...everybody drafts their 25 players from either season...whomever you want that hasn't been picked when it's your turn to draft...when you draft you have the rights to that player until you wish to give them up...

...as the season winds down you submit your "keepers" which is the list of players whose rights you wish to retain...they are not eligible to be drafted by anyone in the next draft because they are your players...then it's the 1941/1971 draft and all the players whose rights are not held by anyone go into the draft pool...etctetc...

I have seen some helpful resources provided by fellow owners.

2/4/2013 11:57 PM
12 Next ▸
Progressive Lg. Feedback and Suggestions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.