player development question Topic

Has anyone ever placed all freshman and sophs in the starting spots of their basic depth charts regardless of their actual abilty to start a game with the hopes they develop better as players when they hit their jr/sr years? I remember several seasons ago, I started a freshman over a sr simply because he was a better player but I notice the sr's work ethic started to drop but the fresh really grew. I know growth potential and work ethic come into play and I cant remember either but giving all things equal, does a player develop faster when given starting spots?

Shamu

9/18/2009 7:12 PM
Definitely.

Keep in mind that starting is not the only factor, but it definitely is A factor.
9/18/2009 7:16 PM
The work ethic increases which will speed up the player development. The only caution is the FR or SO must see the field in the 1st half to get credit for the start. You want credit for 11 starters on both sides of the ball vs 7 starters on offense and 9 starters on defense or some random number bc the FR didn't get in the game.
9/18/2009 7:19 PM
When I have taken on rebuilds where the team I inherited sucks. You start the guys you recruit and like someone else said, their WE increases as well.
I like to put a rookie or two(usually my best) in at starters every season.
9/18/2009 7:46 PM
Thx for the imput fellas. Mojo, once you have "built" your team, does the way you "start" your players change?

I still have to figure out how to do what vizslahunter suggest but still keep my best players on the field most of the time and given those fresh/soph "starts" their starts.

ANy suggestions vizslahunter?
9/18/2009 8:18 PM
Use all your advanced depth charts to your advantage. If your team is stacked with talent and depth, then it's more difficult to get the weaker FR in the game. If your team is avg or in DIA, then it's easier. Sometimes in DIA, you get blessed by the GD Gods and get a 90/90 guy in your backyard that will be the 3rd best OL on your team so getting him on the field is easy.

Sometimes I've used OL #6-10 in a formation or the worst WR in ND Box or DL #5-7 in nickle or a FR LB in 4-3 at 90% effectiveness. Whatever it takes to get all your players on the field.

You can generally look at a coach's stat sheet and see how many players he's getting in the game. If his stat sheet is very small, then he's playing with low effectiveness settings and probably sucking. If his stat sheet is loaded with 5-6 RBs, 4-5 WRs, 3 TEs...then you know he's using all his players and is taking advantage of the advanced depth charts.
9/18/2009 10:01 PM
Underclassmen gain WE faster from starts than upperclassmen lose WE from not getting starts.
9/18/2009 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By vizslahunter on 9/18/2009
Use all your advanced depth charts to your advantage. If your team is stacked with talent and depth, then it's more difficult to get the weaker FR in the game. If your team is avg or in DIA, then it's easier. Sometimes in DIA, you get blessed by the GD Gods and get a 90/90 guy in your backyard that will be the 3rd best OL on your team so getting him on the field is easy.

Sometimes I've used OL #6-10 in a formation or the worst WR in ND Box or DL #5-7 in nickle or a FR LB in 4-3 at 90% effectiveness. Whatever it takes to get all your players on the field.

You can generally look at a coach's stat sheet and see how many players he's getting in the game. If his stat sheet is very small, then he's playing with low effectiveness settings and probably sucking. If his stat sheet is loaded with 5-6 RBs, 4-5 WRs, 3 TEs...then you know he's using all his players and is taking advantage of the advanced depth charts.

Vizslahunter's post has soo much in it that is key. I am learning that stamina and maximizing your player's ability is key in this game when you are playing comparable competition.

I never list my seniors as starters on my depth chart. THey will lose a 1-2 points of WE but I dont care at that point because the way I see it is that they already benefitted from starting early for a couple of seasons when some other senior should have been.
9/19/2009 12:32 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By 71lespaul on 9/19/2009

I never list my seniors as starters on my depth chart. THey will lose a 1-2 points of WE but I dont care at that point because the way I see it is that they already benefitted from starting early for a couple of seasons when some other senior should have been.
That was my concern at first. I was wondering if it was worth the loss of WE in the srs to give the fresh the starting spots.

Quote: Originally Posted By vizslahunter on 9/18/2009

Use all your advanced depth charts to your advantage

I have tried using multiple formations on offense and "D" to give players some rest and others playing time. I have two main offense and defenses where my best players play and I want them in the game. The other formations are used with the weaker players, say in situations like 1st and 5 or 2nd and short where I can sacrafice a bad down. The problem I had is there are games where I never get a 1st and 5 or 2nd and short so those weaker players never get thier time on the field. I hate the thought of putting my weaker players (mostly my fresh and soph) in key downs that might cost me the games against good teams.
9/19/2009 2:41 AM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
9/19/2009 8:31 AM
i agree biggame fan..that just mean no more blanket game plans and depth charts.. More time needs to be devoted into them.
9/19/2009 11:38 AM
Wow. Snake_p was in this thread....lol...
3/31/2017 7:57 PM
i'm just trying to bring up old threads about how the sim works. bumping them is like pinning them. for a week or so anyway, when they get buried again

it sounds like too old is a problem

i'm mainly interested in LB play, TE play, FB play, S play
4/1/2017 7:06 PM
i don't know whats up with the italics
4/1/2017 7:07 PM
Too old is cool with me, I remember life with dial-up internet, pagers, and punch cards for programming.
4/1/2017 10:57 PM
12 Next ▸
player development question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.