Increased Streakiness Topic

Let's consider the average Sim situation: you're a .500 team (but that percentage has a lot of extra variance depending who you have pitching, where you're playing, your fatigue situation, etc.) and you're playing a .500 team (but that percentage varies even more since some teams are very good and some are very bad, plus all the above reasons).

Even without all that extra variance that exists, the streaks are still gonna happen an incredibly large number of times. Using a binomial distribution calc (which has no "equalizer algorithm", I don't think) a .500 team playing a .500 team, over 1000 seasons, could expect the following things to happen:

5 game periods in which every game is a loss: 4906 times
At least 9 losses out of 10: 1626 times
At least 17 losses out of 20: 183 times

And again, that's without all the extra factors in the game (that exist) that can add to streakiness.
9/29/2009 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by winnetka1 on 9/20/2009...Ok, so let's say that it exists. I won't argue with hearsay even though that kind of thing doesn't hold up as true evidence anyway. ...
Such a statement would not be excluded from evidence since it is an alleged admission against interest by the speaker and therefore subject to an exception of the hearsay rule.
9/29/2009 6:23 PM
I'm starting to notice in-game streakiness. Get this. I just had a pitcher strike out the first two batters of the game. Rolling along nicely, correct? Nope. The third batter hit a home run! WTF? First my pitcher's whiffing 'em and right, and then he's getting crushed? Then the fourth batter popped out. So you've got 3 easy outs, but in the middle of them there's a home run?
9/30/2009 6:51 PM
I've NEVER seen that in real life.
9/30/2009 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By grizzly_one on 9/21/2009

Long before WIS, back in the day when it was APBA and Strat, those companies put their games on the computer.

The first SIMs. I don't know about Strat, but APBA actually bragged about a feature they put in that randomly upgrades and downgrades players to insert more "drama."

So there it was, in the beginning.

Right here, right now, in the WIS SIM, there is a device in the programming that lowers player performance for fatigue. They admit to that, they know how to do it, and do it.

"Uping" guys would be no problem. Of course they are not going to tell you how they do it. But it's clear they can and do and admit they can and do (for fatigue.)

Quote: Originally Posted By tzentmeyer on 9/21/2009

No, there is not.

But you'll "see it" from time to time, just like you'll see 7 straight coin flips turn up heads.

10/20/2009 10:09 AM
I've noticed that my life has become increasingly streaky. Guess it makes sense that SIM would follow suit.
10/21/2009 4:20 PM
I had a hot streak in June-July of 1999. I've been on a cold streak ever since.
5/2/2010 3:41 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I had a hot streak from 1978 to around a month ago or so. Been on a cold streak ever since. 

I blame capitalism.
10/22/2013 6:06 AM
Posted by crazystengel on 9/30/2009 6:51:00 PM (view original):
I'm starting to notice in-game streakiness. Get this. I just had a pitcher strike out the first two batters of the game. Rolling along nicely, correct? Nope. The third batter hit a home run! WTF? First my pitcher's whiffing 'em and right, and then he's getting crushed? Then the fourth batter popped out. So you've got 3 easy outs, but in the middle of them there's a home run?
Yes, I have noticed that in baseball there is not the same result for different batters, and sometimes different results for the SAME batter in the SAME game in different at-bats. 

I mean, what gives? If this isn't proof of a government conspiracy, what is?
10/22/2013 6:08 AM
Posted by thunder1008 on 10/21/2009 4:20:00 PM (view original):
I've noticed that my life has become increasingly streaky. Guess it makes sense that SIM would follow suit.
Oh, no, its really evidence of the penetration of the SIM streak code into YOUR life.  The SIM is taking over!
10/22/2013 11:48 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Sparky has become aware...
10/22/2013 3:23 PM

Is it streakiness if my players are running the base paths naked?

10/22/2013 7:32 PM
Actually I think that's just nekedness.

Naked is when you don't have clothes on. Neked is when you don't have clothes on, and you're up to something! I think that qualifies.
10/22/2013 8:09 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Increased Streakiness Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.