BUH-BYE BRADY BUNCH Topic

Brady is now 22-9 in the post season.  He has 3 losses to Peyton, 2 losses to Eli, 2 losses to Flacco, and a loss to Jake Plummer and Mark Sanchez.  He has beaten Peyton and Flacco twice.  So against the Manning's and Flacco, Brady is 4-7, against everyone else he is 18-2.
1/25/2016 8:27 AM
I'm wondering why Bill Belichick's decision making is going virtually unquestioned in yesterday's game.

Down by 8 with six minutes left in the game, Belichick passes on a gimme FG (despite the missed PAT from Gostkowski earlier in the game from the same distance) to pull within 5 on a 4th and 1 from the Denver 16, and the Patriots turn the ball over on downs. 

One can argue that an eight point deficit is just one score, but the reality is that it's more like two because you have to score a TD and then you also have to successfully complete the two point conversion.  Against a tough D like Denver, that's hardly a given (as we saw at the end of the game).

Kicking the FG at that point of the game should be a no-brainer.  It's one of the essentially two scores you need to catch Denver, and it's more of a sure thing than a 2-point conversion.  Plus, it puts you in a position where a TD gives you the lead rather than positioning you for a tie.

Then, they double down on that bad decision by also going for it on a 4th and 6 from the Denver 14 with a little over two minutes remaining, and again losing the ball on downs.  I can almost understand why you would do that there; taking the FG there is virtually an admission of the previous dumb decision. 

Had they kicked both field goals, they would have been in position for that final drive to be a game winning FG.

So why are the talking heads on sports radio this morning not pointing this out?  Why is Belichick immune from criticism?
1/25/2016 9:42 AM
LOL.   Flacco sucks.
1/25/2016 9:42 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/25/2016 9:42:00 AM (view original):
I'm wondering why Bill Belichick's decision making is going virtually unquestioned in yesterday's game.

Down by 8 with six minutes left in the game, Belichick passes on a gimme FG (despite the missed PAT from Gostkowski earlier in the game from the same distance) to pull within 5 on a 4th and 1 from the Denver 16, and the Patriots turn the ball over on downs. 

One can argue that an eight point deficit is just one score, but the reality is that it's more like two because you have to score a TD and then you also have to successfully complete the two point conversion.  Against a tough D like Denver, that's hardly a given (as we saw at the end of the game).

Kicking the FG at that point of the game should be a no-brainer.  It's one of the essentially two scores you need to catch Denver, and it's more of a sure thing than a 2-point conversion.  Plus, it puts you in a position where a TD gives you the lead rather than positioning you for a tie.

Then, they double down on that bad decision by also going for it on a 4th and 6 from the Denver 14 with a little over two minutes remaining, and again losing the ball on downs.  I can almost understand why you would do that there; taking the FG there is virtually an admission of the previous dumb decision. 

Had they kicked both field goals, they would have been in position for that final drive to be a game winning FG.

So why are the talking heads on sports radio this morning not pointing this out?  Why is Belichick immune from criticism?
The second one you have to go for, just not enough time, but the first, absolutely should have kicked the FG.  It isn't like Denver was marching up and down the field and you knew they were going to run and waste time. 

Couple that with some pretty atrocious offensive play calling and the total lack of adjustments, and it was just a poorly called offensive game all the way around. 

1/25/2016 10:34 AM
It's not really going "unquestioned".    it's being mentioned but the fact that BB is largely considered the best coach gets him a pass.    On 4th and 1, I can see why they go.   Brady and his munchkin receivers are masters of the short pass.  Denver can't get to him on a 3 yard hitch or slant.   

With 2 minutes left, you have to go even though it was 6 yards.  

FWIW, let's face it, they were a two point conversion away from tying the game.   And, despite double coverage, Gronk was catching everything. 

1/25/2016 10:45 AM
I didn't say it was going unmentioned.  I said it was going unquestioned, i.e. not being challenged.  I've heard it mentioned 3 or 4 times this morning in passing by different people saying "I had no problem with it" and then moving on.  Not even a discussion.

Six minutes is a lot of time, especially when you've got Brady, Gronk and the munchkins on your side.  Denver was unable to establish a running game, and Manning was little more than a game manager in the second half.  You knew they weren't going to run down the clock, that NE was going to get at least one or two more possessions (they did).

It was a bad decision at the time it was made; not just in hindsight.

1/25/2016 11:01 AM
I think they knew they would get one more possession.  If Denver can manage a 1st down, that's how many they would have gotten.  Being down by 5 with one possession left still means you need a TD. 
1/25/2016 11:03 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/25/2016 11:03:00 AM (view original):
I think they knew they would get one more possession.  If Denver can manage a 1st down, that's how many they would have gotten.  Being down by 5 with one possession left still means you need a TD. 
true, but a TD wins the game (or at least puts you in front), whereas without the FG they needed a TD and a 2 point just to tie.
1/25/2016 11:44 AM
That's making the assumption you can get back in position to get that TD.   It's not like NE was marching up and down the field either.    4th and 1 from the 16 isn't a bad place to go for it.   If nothing else, Denver is pinned deep, NE gets the ball around mid-field(which is what happened) and are poised to try again.
1/25/2016 12:33 PM
Everyone on the radio here is completely questioning.....every single person says they would have taken the FG and now doubt BBs so called genius
1/25/2016 4:32 PM
Well, yeah, they didn't make it.  Imagine how smart he'd have been if they converted the two, recovered an onside kick and won on a 59 yard FG?
1/25/2016 4:53 PM
Actually most of his decisions since the onside kick against Philadelphia are being questioned....kicking in OT, laying down against Miami....he is taking heat for sure
1/25/2016 4:58 PM
Well, that's because Pats fans are bigger crybabies than Brady.    If you don't win the Super Bowl by 37, somebody did something wrong and they must be chastised on Boston radio call-in shows.
1/25/2016 5:01 PM
Partially true, but 2 things I am happy to say haven't been issues over this game....

Nobody is blaming the refs and nobody is going crazy over the tablets not working
1/25/2016 5:21 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 1...18|19|20|21|22|23 Next ▸
BUH-BYE BRADY BUNCH Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.