JETER!!!!!! Topic

Unless he goes 0 for Boston, he'll have his last AB with a hit on Sat/Sun.   Which, for some unknown reason, annoys the **** out of me.   I guess it's because I don't think you should manufacture a career-ending AB.   What happened last night was highly unlikely.  That made it fantastic, IMO. 
9/26/2014 3:07 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/26/2014 9:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 9/26/2014 8:51:00 AM (view original):
Boston does suck, I'll agree with that.
Do you agree that Jeter will be pulled from the game after a hit?

The one thing I didn't like, and was glad to see it not happen, was the potential for the staged removal from the game.    I was almost certain Robertson would get two outs and a big production would have been made to remove Jeter from the game.    I want to believe Jeter nixed that idea.    And it played out perfectly.   I think his removal from the game in Boston will be a thought out production.
I neither agree nor disagree.  I have no idea how the Boston series will play out with respect to Jeter.

I'm guessing that the expectation will be that Jeter will play on Sunday as I'm sure that a shitload of tickets have been sold at a premium price for his last scheduled regular season game.  And those who couldn't get tickets for Sunday will have still paid a decent amount for the Friday and/or Saturday games.
9/26/2014 3:15 PM
I'm not sure who paid what for a ticket will be the guide on when he plays and when he's removed.    There's no ******* way he ends his career with an out.   Assuming, of course, he gets a hit Sat/Sun. 
9/26/2014 3:22 PM
Not in the line-up tonight.
9/26/2014 5:46 PM
Pulled after 2 AB.   The 2nd was an infield hit. 
9/28/2014 7:54 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/26/2014 3:07:00 PM (view original):
Unless he goes 0 for Boston, he'll have his last AB with a hit on Sat/Sun.   Which, for some unknown reason, annoys the **** out of me.   I guess it's because I don't think you should manufacture a career-ending AB.   What happened last night was highly unlikely.  That made it fantastic, IMO. 

Derek Jeter hit a run-scoring infield single in the final at-bat of his 20-year major league career, leaving to a standing ovation at Fenway Park.

The New York Yankees captain hit a high chop that bounced off a hand of leaping Red Sox third baseman Garin Cecchini, and Jeter reached first without drawing a throw. After a few seconds, Brian McCann trotted from the dugout to pinch run.

On his way off the field, Jeter pointed to the Boston dugout and embraced pitcher Clay Buchholz. As he approached the Yankees dugout, he waved his cap and was hugged on the warning tack by Mark Teixeira, Brett Gardner and other teammates. Red Sox players stood in their dugout and applauded.

In his first at-bat, Jeter lined out to shortstop Jemile Weeks.

Shocker. 

9/28/2014 3:16 PM
Should we also celebrate it's probably the first time in his career McCann has pinch ran?
9/28/2014 5:15 PM
Probably the first time?
9/28/2014 5:18 PM
Probably. I'm not going to speak with absolute certainty because I see what happens here to those who speak in terms of absolutes.
9/28/2014 5:44 PM
Glad I didn't say definitely. Read an article this morning that said McCann pinch ran for David Ross two years ago.
9/29/2014 8:28 AM
Should Ross be happy, because he's back in the news, or sad, because McCann ran for him and now everyone knows?
9/29/2014 8:37 AM
I'd guess more of the latter than the former.
9/29/2014 9:14 AM
The Yankees just announced that they will officially retire Derek Jeter's number and present him with a plaque to be hung in Monument Park on Sunday, May 14, 2017 (Mother's Day).
12/6/2016 10:20 AM
'bout ******* time.
12/6/2016 10:52 AM

Jeter's defense has been the subject of criticism from a number of sabermetricians, including Rob Neyer and the publication Baseball Prospectus.[216][217][218] The 2006 book The Fielding Bible by John Dewan contains an essay by Bill James in which he concludes that Jeter "was probably the most ineffective defensive player in the major leagues, at any position" over his entire career.[219] A 2008 study by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania found that, from 2002 through 2005, Jeter was the worst defensive shortstop in MLB.[220] Two sites that rely on advanced defensive statistics, FanGraphs.com and FieldingBible.com, rated Jeter below middle-of-the-pack status in 2010, despite his receiving his fifth Gold Glove Award that season.[221][222]

Jeter committed 18 errors in 2007, his highest total since finishing with 24 in 2000.[223] After the season, Cashman and his staff saw Jeter's defense as an area that needed to be addressed.[224] At the Yankees' request, Jeter embarked on a rigorous training program to combat the effects of age, by focusing on lateral movement and first-step quickness.[225] Jeter's ultimate zone rating (UZR) improved from worst in the AL for shortstops in 2007 to close to league average in 2008.[224]

12/9/2016 8:09 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12|13 Next ▸
JETER!!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.