What are you reading? Topic

Mardi

man takes a boat to the south seas, kills a dude for his treasure, his boys give chase

or

a king a historian a philosopher and a balladeer talk shop, aye god woodrow these boys can talk

or

a hero saves a maiden from sacrifice, the three fates haul her off to the antipodes, barbs and arrows from canoes do fly

or

jesus saves

i won't tell you how it ends. you better put on your readin shoes though. them ors are 600 pages of ands
7/24/2016 1:09 AM (edited)
Trump and Me (2016) by Mark Singer. A slight book (108 pages), more or less a padded out reprint of the author's 1997 New Yorker profile of Trump with some footnotes thrown in, along with an intro chapter and a "where we are now" chapter (i.e. this clown's the GOP nominee for President). Nevertheless it's well-written, vicious, and hilarious.

Here's the author talking about Trump's reaction to the original profile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKXOep4Mv8c
7/31/2016 12:16 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I'm reading thru the WISC team building strategies...
8/1/2016 9:24 PM
I am reading Four Days in November by Vincent Bugliosi...a very readable eye opening narrative of the events of the assasination and immediate aftermath.......definitive........over time i have moved away from believing it was a conspiracy...i do believe that the fbi was embarresed and covered up their mistakes.........the cia the same...and the cia did not want operation mongoose to get out ( plot to kill castro using mafia ).......Ruby was an oddball.........i cant see him knowing anything or stable enough to be in on a conspiracy.......same for oswald........this book is not focused on conspiracy theories.......he wrote a follow up 1200 page opus for that...this book although i just started it is clearly a tour de force..........Bugliosi has said that he started out believing in a conspiracy but the facts took him elsewhere.....many of you will know that he was the prosecutor who convicted charles manson and his cult.
8/9/2016 9:48 PM
I like the James Ellroy version

American Tabloid and The Cold Six Thousand

get braced
8/11/2016 11:29 PM
Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy (2002) by Jane Leavy starts off with a little too much "setting the scene" business, and also with a curious disclosure from the author that she has -- in order to get her subject's blessing -- agreed to not write about his personal life and to refrain from interviewing his surviving relatives. I think it was this deal that led the NY Post to publish a "Sandy Koufax is gay" rumor, which in turn led Koufax to temporarily sever his ties with the Dodgers, who at the time were owned by the same Rupert Murdoch group as the Post (and WIS!).

Anyway, the book improves tremendously once Koufax becomes a major leaguer. I had no idea how frustrated Koufax was with Dodgers, and especially Walt Alston (who comes off as a real dummy here), for "holding him back" at the start of his career, nor how much pain he was in the last few years of his career (his arm practically fell off in 1966, when he led the team to the World Series in his final season). There are chapters interspersed throughout covering, inning-by-inning, Koufax's perfect game in 1965, with plenty of attention given to the poor sap, Bob Hendley, who lost pitching a one-hitter for the Cubs. The best thing about the book are the many stories told by contemporaries of Koufax. Billy Williams describes sitting in the locker room after an old-timers game in the mid 1980s with Lou Brock, Willie Stargell and Willie McCovey. Joe Garagiola walks in and asks this quartet how many career home runs they hit collectively off Koufax (who had pitched in the game).

"That's when Koufax appeared," Williams said. "Sandy, right away, says, 'I'll tell you.' So he pointed to me. 'You hit two, and you hit none, you hit none, and you hit one.' He knew. He could count 'em."

8/12/2016 1:12 PM
Just ordered these for some beach reading (hoping they arrive by tonight!):
The Only Rule Is It Has to Work: Our Wild Experiment Building a New Kind of Baseball Team, by Ben Lingbergh
Where Nobody Knows Your Name: Life in the Minor Leagues of Baseball, by John Feinstein
8/12/2016 2:04 PM (edited)
in the history of baseball sandy koufax is my favorite player...he is a beloved player and there are few players to ever achieve such popularity...his special early induction is a testament to the respect and affection mlb had for him.. certainly because of such greatness and accomplishments to be taken away at only 30 yrs of age.....standing up for his religious and cultural beliefs which was heroic then......playing in excrutiating pain..... always being an honorable teamate and competitor.....and taking a stand with don drysdale for a more fair salary which was an important trendsetting contribution to mlb and sports.
8/12/2016 2:45 PM
Yeah, I didn't mention the joint holdout with Drysdale, but that was covered nicely in the book, too. Buzzie Bavasi and Walter O'Malley were the clear villains in that scenario, and the two pitchers the heroes. As for being an honorable teammate and competitor, yes, that came across very strongly in the book. The author mentioned over and over again that it was impossible to find anyone who ever had anything bad to say about Koufax (aside from a few teammates at the start of his career who begrudged him his "bonus baby" money, and a few others who made anti-Semitic remarks).
8/13/2016 2:54 AM
"ZULU RISING"---THE EPIC STORY OF ISANDLWANA AND RORKE'S DRIFT. BY IAN KNIGHT
8/13/2016 5:21 AM
Ballad of the Black and Blue Mind

lucid

reminds me of annie proulx in this one way only: lives have meaning. beginnings and endings. batons get passed
8/23/2016 12:21 AM
Just started reading this one today:

HERO OF THE EMPIRE by Candice Millard. It is about Winston Churchill's exploits in the Boer War.
10/2/2016 9:10 PM
◂ Prev 1...35|36|37|38|39...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.