What are you reading? Topic

Rawhide Down: The Near Assassination of Ronald Reagan.  Del Quentin Wilber. I had a hard time putting this book down.  Heard the author being interviewed a few months back.  He sold me on the book . . . glad he did.
1/6/2013 1:46 PM (edited)
American Gospel by Jon Meacham, about the role of religion in American government from before the founding to today.  No, it's not a 'Religious Right' manifesto; anything but, actually.
1/6/2013 6:20 PM
Who Stole the American Dream by Hedrick Smith. Details the dismantling of the middle class by lobbyists, Congress, corporations and Wall Street. Eye-opening but depressing. Excellent source for explaining to people who they should be angry with.
1/9/2013 7:11 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by winnetka1 on 1/5/2013 11:11:00 AM (view original):
The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote and The Unvanquished by Wm. Faulkner work very well together

"Have you-all had anything to eat?" "Eat?" Ringo said. "My stomach think my throat been cut."  (The Unvanquished)
I'm a Civil War buff and I have the Shelby Foote books. I've started the first one multiple times, and I just can't get very far. I'll try again at some point.

Done with the Van Halen book, now reading Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson
1/9/2013 11:45 PM
Posted by boogerlips on 1/9/2013 9:22:00 PM (view original):
Definitely won't be reading that one.
OSTRICH! SHEEP!

TYPICAL AMERIKAN WITH HEAD IN SAND WHILST BEING RAPED BY THE MAN!
1/10/2013 7:58 AM
Posted by jmcraven74 on 1/9/2013 11:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by winnetka1 on 1/5/2013 11:11:00 AM (view original):
The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote and The Unvanquished by Wm. Faulkner work very well together

"Have you-all had anything to eat?" "Eat?" Ringo said. "My stomach think my throat been cut."  (The Unvanquished)
I'm a Civil War buff and I have the Shelby Foote books. I've started the first one multiple times, and I just can't get very far. I'll try again at some point.

Done with the Van Halen book, now reading Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson
You might try using Shelby Foote's books to supplement whenever you might be reading about any of the various campaigns. He seems to drill down a bit deeper which I find interesting...he does write with a bit of a southern bias which is ok being that he is from Mississippi
1/10/2013 4:06 PM
Posted by bighooze on 1/9/2013 7:11:00 PM (view original):
Who Stole the American Dream by Hedrick Smith. Details the dismantling of the middle class by lobbyists, Congress, corporations and Wall Street. Eye-opening but depressing. Excellent source for explaining to people who they should be angry with.
excellent documentary too...it airs on Link TV several times a month...I also like Capitalism Hits The Fan by Richard Wolff
1/10/2013 4:08 PM
I'm halfway through reading Popular Crime, Bill James branching out and writing about something other than baseball.

It is an interesting book; from the reviews I read I wasn't sure it would be good but I think a number of reviewers tended to take him literally when he was speaking more in a speculative way, trying to reason through things in the same inimitable style that made the Baseball Abstracts so great.  I think the negative reviews had more to do with the reviewers expecting something else, as opposed to the book being dull and uninteresting.

The book certainly could have been improved by better editing, as there are occasional (frequent?) rants that I could do without, and way too many uses of the phrase "In my view..."  His resentment towards experts on the criminal justice system, whether academics or lawyers, gets old after the first couple of rants.  But on the whole, it is an interesting read, and his hypotheses and conclusions (whether crackpot or not) are generally thought-provoking.

I am guessing that since Bill James wrote it, others here have read it.  What did people think?
1/11/2013 1:22 PM
I read "Popular Crimes" when it came out a couple of years ago.  It was an enjoyable book, albeit kind of loopy in places.  It doesn't rank up there with James' best baseball writing, but he's certainly got some interesting ideas.  James has also apparently read every crime book ever written, and I picked up a few of the books he recommended here (Joseph Wambaugh's "The Onion Field" being the best one).

I just finished "I'm Your Man," the new Leonard Cohen biography.  I've been a Cohen fan for many years, but I only decided to pick this up after seeing him live a couple of months ago and being blown away by how good he still is (78 years old!).  The bio was smartly written, although at 500+ pages it's definitely for the hard-core fan only.  Funniest tidbit: While in LA in the '80s, Leonard came across a personal ad from a woman looking for a man who had "the fearlessness of Iggy Pop and the elegant wit of Leonard Cohen."  Cohen happened to know that Iggy Pop was in town recording an album, and he approached him about getting the woman's address and showing up on her doorstep to surprise her.  Oddly enough, it was the "fearless" Iggy Pop who backed out of the plan.
1/11/2013 1:39 PM
Couldn't sleep the other night so I picked up an old favorite, John Toland's "But Not in Shame".  The first real in-depth analysis of the first six months after Pearl Harbor.
1/13/2013 12:49 PM
JGA Pocock, The Machiavellian Moment - I feel like a fool for not having read it literally decades ago. One of the very best books ever on politics and political thought ever. I can't remember the last time I purposely read a book slowly because I wanted to digest each idea for a while before going on to the next thing that would blow my mind. 

If you are looking for a book that really does have a different paradigm from the individualist/liberalism that dominates thought nearly everywhere in past decades, it is not a quick read, but it is brilliantly written and you will find it here. 
2/21/2013 1:19 PM
trying to get through Libra, by Don Delillo. It's about the JFK assassination, it is basically historical fiction. I would describe it as dense. But starting to pick up steam.
2/21/2013 2:01 PM
THE PICKWICK PAPERS----CHARLES DICKENS

FLASHMAN AND THE REDSKINS-----GEORGE MACDONALD FRASER
2/21/2013 2:35 PM

Shades of Grey......I personally like slate gray, my wife likes light gray and our son likes charcoal gray.

2/28/2013 6:47 AM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19|20...89 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.