What are you reading? Topic

Empires of the Sea: The Siege of Malta, the Battle of Lepanto, and the Contest for the Center of the World--Roger Crowley

A fascinating read of the 16th century war between Spain and the Ottoman Empire for control of the Mediterranean...the use of pirates by the Ottomans (Barbarossa-the pirate, not the German king) was crucial. Crowley essentially paints everyone in a bad light.

5/24/2013 10:31 AM
CREATION----GORE VIDAL

THE AGE OF GOLD(THE CALIFORNIA GOLD RUSH AND THE NEW AMERICAN DREAM)---H.W. BRANDS

REBEL LEAGUE(THE SHORT AND UNRULY LIFE OF THE WORLD HOCKEY ASSOCIATION)---ED WILLES
10/3/2013 10:41 AM
I just finished Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright, a well-written, well-researched and devastating take-down of Tom Cruise's religion.  Highly recommended.  

By the way, Canadian and UK publishers were too scared of publishing this owing to the Church of Scientology's litigious reputation.  Good thing I had some Amazon credits from WIS so I could get it that way!

10/3/2013 11:10 AM

Where Thomas Sowell writes a well researched and devastating take-down of crazy liberal fiction. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
10/4/2013 9:04 AM
UNCLE TOM'S FICTION?
10/4/2013 9:08 AM
YOU'LL HAVE TO READ AND FIND OUT FOR YERSELF TONTO THANKS FER LISTNIN BOOGER
10/4/2013 2:43 PM
FACIST!
10/4/2013 2:46 PM
The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer. A german infantryman who fought in some of the epic battles on The Eastern Front, absolutely harrowing.
10/4/2013 3:00 PM
Did someone just use "well-researched" and "Thomas Sowell" in the same sentence? Best laugh I've had in weeks.
10/4/2013 3:33 PM
RACIST!
10/5/2013 10:40 AM
Just finishing up a re-read of Bruce Catton's three-volume history of the Army of the Potomac; between volumes two and three, read Iris Chang's The Rape of Nanking.  Not that well written (never was a fan of her style), but an interesting - and disturbing - topic.
10/5/2013 1:27 PM
Bill Bryson, One Summer: America 1927   An interesting anecdotal read...some good Yankee info. Focus is on Lindbergh, with good sections on Prohibition, Sacco and Vanzetti, Coolidge, Hoover, Ford, Radio, development of TV, and much more. A quick read.

Just started the new Gladwell book: David and Goliath. So far fascinating, although the opening segment on basketball is something I've used for the past 15 years for exactly the same reasons. And I've had some very good teams, so I am not sure how that plays into his thesis.

10/6/2013 9:44 PM
Here's a MUST READ for any baseball fan

Http://www.espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/Roberto-Clemente-bat/enduring-mystery-roberto-clemente-bat

I'm working from my android, can someone fix that link so it takes you to the story?
10/11/2013 9:18 PM (edited)
Sandy Koufax, A Lefty's legacy,  by Jane Leavy,  My hero growing up, only 2 problems, I am right handed and my fastball topped out at 79 mph.
10/13/2013 10:18 PM
Doctor Kz....thanks for the link...that is a very cool story...seems like an axe to grind with Bonds though...not defending him by any means...but a gratuitous shot.

www.espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/Roberto-Clemente-bat/enduring-mystery-roberto-clemente-bat

I am currently reading The Sports Gene, which is very interesting. There is a segment about Jennie Finch, the softball pitcher and her facing some major leaguers...guess who comes off looking like the biggest a..holes?....if you said A-Rod and Bonds, you would be right.

10/14/2013 9:47 AM
◂ Prev 1...18|19|20|21|22...89 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.