What are you reading? Topic

KNIGHTS OF SPAIN,WARRIORS OF THE SUN--HERNANDO DE SOTO AND THE SOUTH'S ANCIENT CHIEFDOMS----- CHARLES HUDSON
1/25/2015 3:16 AM
i just finished all of bill O'reilly's killing series of 4 books (jesus,patton,lincoln and kennedy)
1/25/2015 8:50 AM
Finally tacking Bill James Historical Abstract. Amazing how many players I recognize now from WIS play. Totally brings them to life.
1/25/2015 10:50 AM
"Deadwood"      by Pete Dexter.    A one word review. (I'm nearly finished with the book)    AWESOME!
1/25/2015 12:45 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Where nobody knows your name by John Feinstein....stories from the minor leagues....very interesting book
1/26/2015 10:48 AM
The Bob Dylan Encyclopedia by Michael Gray.

I saw it in the library and picked it up, not knowing what to expect, but as a Dylan fan I figured it would be at least a little interesting.  It's actually brilliant -- very well-written, informative and humorous.  The author doesn't just cover Dylan exhaustively, but Dylan's influences (old-timey blues and folk musicians), the poets Dylan "borrowed" from, Dylan's contemporaries, all the main and bit players in Dylan's life and career, etc.  

This book is to Dylan (and, in a way, American music) what Bill James' Historical Abstract is to baseball.  You can open it up to any page and find something fascinating to read.
1/26/2015 12:02 PM
Thanks crazy for this reference. I haven't read it. Found Dylan's own autobiography at times very interesting but on the whole disappointing and even annoying. This encyclopedia sounds more interesting. Have you listened to Harry Smith's collection,  The Anthology of American Folk Music (in a unique and very weird four record - now 4 CD - set with news headlines describing the  contents of each song)? Once you have, then check out "Invisible Republic" by Greil Marcus and listen to the Basement Tapes again and you will have the whole thing figured out !

I am reading John McDermott's book "Restoring Democracy to America", a gem with an analysis not found elsewhere and a number of good suggestions for needed reforms meant to be both practical and practicable. 

1/28/2015 12:19 PM
 Funny you should mention the Basement Tapes.  My brother-in-law was one of the producers of this recently released gem:
Yes, I'm familiar with the Harry Smith songs.  Brilliant stuff.  A lot of those performers have entries in the Dylan Encyclopedia.

I have Dylan's autobiography, too, and will get around to reading it soon.  I've read that he spends more time discussing his "dud" albums (like Self Portrait, which I actually kind of like) than his classics.  That's Bob for you!

Speaking of which, check out his radio show that ran from 2006 to 2009.  100 hour-long episodes, each dealing with different themes (#4 is baseball!):

www.themetimeradio.com/

A lot of great old songs in those broadcasts that I'd never heard before.  
1/28/2015 2:53 PM
Two must read works on the global financial system and what went wrong in the EU and Eurozone:

I  am reading Thomas Fazi's great and very readable book "The Battle for Europe: How an elite hijacked a continent and what we can do to get it back" (Pluto 2013). Very important read right now.

He cites the Swiss study that found that neoliberal ideology aside, only 147 corporate firms dominate the global financial "market". 

That study is free online and can be downloaded in pdf here:

2/3/2015 2:46 AM
just saw this thread and love it !
currently reading breakfast with buddah - roland merullo.
please kill bill o reilly.
on the music issue I have finally begun to create my beatles albums from the solo years...ive got the song selection and order for 1970 and now am ready to burn the songs onto a disc..its 23 songs..my run to 2 discs..im holding back a few all things must pass for the 1971 album..it would be logical.
on bob Dylan..im looking forward to the duet album with tom waits.
2/7/2015 11:09 AM
on the fiction side of books if anyone enjoys pulp fiction books there is a publisher called hard case crime that has brought the fifties and sixties into the present along with newly published books from forgotten masters and new books from current authors..and the book covers ..wow...they have a website and barnes and noble sells them..great fun.
2/8/2015 10:36 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...19|20|21|22|23...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.