What are you reading? Topic

The Leftovers (2011) by Tom Perrotta. I couldn't finish it.  I got 199 pages in and quit (it's 355 pages long).  Rare for me to give up on a novel I'm more than halfway through, but there you have it.

A promising premise worthy of a good Twilight Zone episode -- 2% of Earth's population disappears in a Rapture-like event, and the "leftovers" have to deal with the aftermath -- is marred by awful writing and brand names, cell phones, laptops, computer games, SpongeBob plot summaries, texting ("I luv ur body" etc.) and in general banal stuff done by banal characters as related by a banal omniscient narrator.  The writing style is reminiscent of screenplay novelizations.  This sort of stuff doesn't have to be badly written: Jose Saramago used similarly fantastic premises in Blindness, The Double, and Death With Interruptions, and he did so with irony, wit, artfulness and intelligence. 

11/17/2015 11:01 PM (edited)
THE FIGHTING CHEYENNES----- GEORGE BIRD GRINNELL

A STORM OF SWORDS------ GEORGE R.R. MARTIN
11/18/2015 4:10 PM
Just finished heart shaped box - joe hill...../.the son of steven king...if you like vintage steven king you wont believe joe hill....his best book so far is the one that has a license plate number for the title...creativity out the gazoo.
11/18/2015 4:59 PM
ok, here's what i got at the library today

Raylan by Elmore Leonard. the Justified / Get Shorty / Hombre dude. tremendous storyteller and not bad writer. my only thing with him is he uses dialogue too much. which is rare. the average novelist when they get lazy they describe, get literary, use lost words, go off into a trance, become russian, try to see into other heads and out of their own. this guy when he gets lazy talks too much

Eureka by Jim Lehrer the PBS guy

Ignorance by Milan Kunderas

all slim volumes. i can always finish a slim volume even when

11/21/2015 8:58 PM
i read all of them dumas books when i was 12. the count, the man, the viscount. they got longer and longer winded. dude was payed by the word. full of courtly treachery muskets and kingnation. also french love, which to me at the time sounded like roast chicken and rouge
11/21/2015 9:15 PM
David Halberstam, The Reckoning. 

How this book never got made into a mini-series is beyond me. Amazing story of how American industry and manufacturing declines, how Japan became a modern rich country and much more. Hard to do it justice. 

Just finished THE state of the art radical politics/high tech book for this generation: Cyberproletariat by Nick Dyer-Weatherford. Don't miss it. 
11/22/2015 6:31 AM
Erasure (2001) by Percival Everett.  A funny, quite vicious satire on the publishing industry, specifically on "authentic" African American novels (like "Push," the basis for the movie "Precious").  The narrator, an unlikeable black academic/author who's having trouble getting his latest pompous tome published, goes a bit nuts when he reads a best-selling, crappily-written Push-like novel, whose author is suddenly rich, critically-acclaimed (mostly by white liberals) and getting interviewed on an Oprah Winfrey-like show.  The narrator writes a parody of this novel -- entitled "My Pafology" -- and manages to get it published using a pseudonym (he claims to be a recently released convict; only his agent knows his secret).  This parody novel, which is included in full in the middle section of  Erasure, is hilariously bad -- but the critics take it seriously and it becomes a best-seller, too, winning its author awards and movie deals, things which bring more grief than joy to the narrator.
12/16/2015 11:57 AM (edited)
my pafology? i ax you
12/16/2015 5:24 AM
Last Kind Words Saloon, Larry McMurtry

not a novel, barely a story

probably a screenplay looking for backing

old gunfighters. then reporters. you could watch Bronco Billy instead

12/16/2015 5:34 AM
I am reading the mattress tag where it says DO NOT REMOVE UNDER PENALTY OF LAW...will the mattress police come and haul me off to mattress prison if I remove it?
12/16/2015 6:05 AM
LET ME SLEEP ON IT
12/16/2015 6:11 AM
Omg, now I have one on the pillow...
12/16/2015 6:19 AM
Posted by DoctorKz on 12/16/2015 6:05:00 AM (view original):
I am reading the mattress tag where it says DO NOT REMOVE UNDER PENALTY OF LAW...will the mattress police come and haul me off to mattress prison if I remove it?
Only if you're the mattress manufacturer!

mentalfloss.com/article/31227/it-really-illegal-remove-your-mattress-tag

You can go ahead and cut the tag off without fear of jackbooted mattress police kicking in your door and hauling you off to the gulag, though. The tag's stern warning is there to protect you, the end user: it's the removal of the tag before the mattress gets to the person that’s going to sleep on it that’s illegal.

Take a look at your mattress tag and you’ll see that there’s a lot more on it than just the “don't remove me” warning. The purpose of the tag is to assure consumers that they’re buying a new, never-been-used product and to let them know exactly what’s inside it. The need for this protective label arose in the early 20th century, amid a boom in consumer protection regulations. At the time, mattresses were often constructed with some unsavory stuffing — horse hair, corn husks, food waste, old rags, newspaper, and whatever else a manufacturer could come by were regularly shoved inside. Consumers would never see the stuffing, so no harm, no foul, right? Not really. Some of this stuff harbored bacteria and household pests that gave unwary consumers a not-so-restful slumber.

The government tackled the problem by requiring mattress manufacturers to affix tags to their products that clearly defined their contents. Consumers could then make informed decisions and steer clear of mattresses stuffed with dangerous or gross materials. Listing the “ingredients” right on the mattress put the dirty rag guys at a distinct disadvantage in the marketplace. So to get around the problem, having fulfilled their legal obligation to add the tag, some manufacturers simply tore it off before shipping to retailers. Elsewhere, salesmen ripped them off of slow-moving products to help sales.

The government countered with a new regulation. Tags now had to have the do-not-remove warning, and federal regulations made it unlawful to “remove or mutilate, or cause or participate in the removal or mutilation of, prior to the time any textile fiber product is sold and delivered to the ultimate consumer, any stamp, tag, label, or other identification required” on them. “Any person violating this section,” the regulation continues, “shall be guilty of an unfair method of competition, and an unfair or deceptive act or practice, under the Federal Trade Commission Act.”

The move deterred dishonest mattress dealers, but also confused more than a few consumers, who dutifully left the tags on for fear of prosecution. In recent years, the feds and many state governments have eased the minds of law-abiding citizens by amending the mattress laws so the tags read “this tag shall not be removed except by the consumer.”

So, go ahead, tear that sucker off and sleep easy.

12/16/2015 6:31 AM
What if they decide to go tagless? If they change the rules, how will I know? Will I be grandfathered?

The rule of replacing your old mattress every 8 years...is a conspiracy? Is there something hidden in there? A camera, with an 8 year battery?
12/16/2015 6:39 AM (edited)
A good read is The Bricklayer on Darwinawards.com. funny story.
12/16/2015 6:43 AM
◂ Prev 1...27|28|29|30|31...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.