What are you reading? Topic

Ok as long as theyre in english
10/19/2016 12:10 AM
I'm reading Say Hey: The Autobiography of Willie Mays (1988). So far it's pretty good. On page 190 Willie describes how, in the early 1960s, he's become to youngsters what Joe Dimaggio once was to him: an idol. Youth counsellors in the San Francisco area are calling him up with requests to mentor troubled adolescents. One of the kids Willie pays a surprise visit to is a 14-year old who's a member of a gang that's recently robbed a liquor store. Willie spends two hours with the kid, not giving him lectures but merely driving him around in his car and chatting, showing him he cares, and trying to set a good example. Mays writes: "I didn't want to set myself up as a god, just as someone who tried to do the right thing." I think it worked, because that boy grew up to become O.J. Simpson.

Believe It or Don't!
10/23/2016 1:39 PM
Did it work?
10/23/2016 3:31 PM
I like oj but i think its a bad idea to be alone with troubled gangbangers.i cite a colleague who thought he could get along with anyone.He was stabbed to death(24 times)
10/25/2016 10:51 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Moanin' at Midnight: The Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf (2004) by James Segrest and Mark Hoffman. An enjoyable, thorough, and anecdote-filled bio of a blues legend whose voice was "stronger than forty acres of crushed garlic." Highly recommended if you're a fan of Howlin' Wolf, or blues in general.
11/5/2016 3:31 AM
Reading - WEREWOLF COP by Andrew Klavan...very enjoyable thus far.....Stephen King says the author is" the most original American novelist of crime and suspense since Cornell Woolrich."
11/5/2016 12:39 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
just finished double cross the life of sam giancana cowritten by chuck giancana his brother. it was very entertaining not sure i belived the whole jack and bobby conspiracy but i did like it am a big fan of howling wolf will have to check that one out
11/6/2016 5:47 PM
Sweet Seasons: Recollections of the 1955-64 New York Yankees (1990) by Dom Forker. A Rashomon-style oral history of a great Yankee decade. All the bit players are here, while most of the big names (Casey, Mickey, Yogi, Billy, Maris and Elston) are not, for various reasons, chief among them death. There are so many great stories, many hilarious and some sad; what's most surprising (aside from how many of these guys eventually got jobs in insurance) is the regrets felt over the championships that got away -- more than one player said he still had nightmares about the Bill Mazeroski homer that ended the 1960 World Series.
11/21/2016 12:41 AM
THE ROSIE EFFECT by GRAEME SIMsion....a novel.......the sequel to the worldwide smash hit the rosie project soon to be a movie with bradley cooper.about a genius scientist somewhat similar in his alsberger intellect to sheldon from big bang theory but looks like gregory peck...his love affair and adventures with a beautiful researcher......both books are laugh out loud hilarious....get the rosie project first.......you will enjoy.
The movie will also star jennifer lawrence.
11/22/2016 11:51 AM (edited)
Posted by dino27 on 11/5/2016 12:39:00 PM (view original):
Reading - WEREWOLF COP by Andrew Klavan...very enjoyable thus far.....Stephen King says the author is" the most original American novelist of crime and suspense since Cornell Woolrich."
Thus far?How but after that?
11/23/2016 6:49 PM
i stopped reading it...it had a religious element and got real corny and preachy....
11/23/2016 7:35 PM
the craziest unreadable mystic in history

personal opinion

Paulo Coelho

the southies bring a lot to the table

this southie brings insatiable unattainable irredeemable unreadable lead pipe crazy

11/23/2016 10:02 PM
I like the joseph wambaugh books.i also read the book by Jerry Kramer-i think thats his name about a 60s Packer season.i wasnt there that season. I was about 7 yo.But i remember i enjoyed it.I remember one of the stories was about Donny Anderson a good young running back who said "coach,I have an agent here to negotiate my contract".Lombardi said ok just step outside for 5 minutes.Then after that he said- youve just been traded to the NYG
12/1/2016 9:11 PM
◂ Prev 1...37|38|39|40|41...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.