What are you reading? Topic

Posted by bronxcheer on 3/21/2018 3:31:00 AM (view original):
"Bottom of the Ninth"---Branch Rickey, Casey Stengel and the Daring Scheme to Save Baseball From Itself. by Michael Shapiro

The Continental League, expansion, revenue sharing, 59, 60, 61
this one sounds interesting. Knew of the Continental League only from a 30,000 ft2 view perspective. I imagine Shapiro provides a lot more detail.
3/21/2018 2:15 PM
Just finished 'Stumbling on Happiness' by Daniel Gilbert. I enjoyed this a great deal. The author has a sense of humor I find appealing and it keeps what could be pretty dry material from bogging down. The book discussed why we're so bad a predicting what will make us happy and the particular ways the brain (mal)functions to create this result. It was pretty approachable for a non-scientist like me.

I've now started 'Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear' by Elizabeth Gilbert. I'm having a difficult time getting going with it, while I cant say I dislike the author because I don't actually know her, I have a real dislike for the media personality that she is. However, the book has been recommended to me by several folks and has been highly praised by a few bloggers I read so I'm giving it my best shot. Perhaps it is a test of adulthood or something ...

Finally, I got an email from the library letting me know my hold on 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' is now available so I'll be starting that later this week.
3/24/2018 9:14 PM (edited)
i am stuck in the CHs

Chaucer, Chabon, Chandler, Chekov

woe to the chick whose chalk has no ching
3/26/2018 8:42 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 3/26/2018 8:44:00 PM (view original):
i am stuck in the CHs

Cheers!
3/27/2018 1:21 AM
Hard to believe this thread is eight and a half years old. A lot has happened since then.

I just finished reading Tomorrow Will Be Different, by Sarah McBride.
3/27/2018 1:37 AM
Posted by thunder1008 on 3/27/2018 1:21:00 AM (view original):
i am stuck in the CHs

Cheers!
Welcome back, thunder1008! 6 years between posts!

I just finished The Stories of Bernard Malamud (1983). If you like the intensity and narrow (sometimes comically so) focus in the fiction of Chekhov, Flannery O'Connor, Isaac Bashevis Singer, you'll like these stories, too. Lots of nicely put observations throughout, as in one tale where a narrator teaches English to a Jewish intellectual who's fled Hitler's Germany:

"To many of these people, articulate as they were, the great loss was the language -- that they could not say what was in them to say. You have some subtle thought and it comes out like a piece of broken bottle."
3/27/2018 9:38 AM
Thanks, Mr. Stengel. I missed you guys. All work and no play the past few years. Happy to report that my teams are worse than ever as I look to find new security blankets to replace Addie Joss and Miguel Dilone in a world of dynamic pricing. And you perfectly summarized my writing skills with the quote about subtle thoughts that come out like a piece of broken bottle. Nice.
3/27/2018 4:48 PM
i found the fixer in my house..but no short stories...i ordered the complete stories from barnes and noble.....im looking forward to it.
3/27/2018 7:13 PM
re-reading one of my favorites...
The Little Book by Selden Edwards.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/301934/the-little-book-by-selden-edwards/9780452295513/

it has it all...time travel, rock & roll, Freud, 8 year old Hitler...and baseball.

3/27/2018 7:41 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I enjoyed Tales of the Time Patrol, by Poul Anderson. A particular favorite story from it is "The Sorrows of Odin the Goth". It's about what happens when someone gradually blurs the lines and transgresses what would later be called the Prime Directive.
3/31/2018 9:56 PM
Mr. Stengel I finished 'A Canticle for Leibowtiz.' You're quite right about how relevant it still is today. It makes one think about where in the cycle we are ... and I have to say I don't like the answer to that I came up with.

On to whatever is next .... likely back to some non-fiction I think. I have a few different books out of the library right now we'll have to see which one ends up getting traction.
4/3/2018 10:37 AM
Re-reading the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser

Volume 1--Flashman

4/3/2018 4:15 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 3/27/2018 9:38:00 AM (view original):
Posted by thunder1008 on 3/27/2018 1:21:00 AM (view original):
i am stuck in the CHs

Cheers!
Welcome back, thunder1008! 6 years between posts!

I just finished The Stories of Bernard Malamud (1983). If you like the intensity and narrow (sometimes comically so) focus in the fiction of Chekhov, Flannery O'Connor, Isaac Bashevis Singer, you'll like these stories, too. Lots of nicely put observations throughout, as in one tale where a narrator teaches English to a Jewish intellectual who's fled Hitler's Germany:

"To many of these people, articulate as they were, the great loss was the language -- that they could not say what was in them to say. You have some subtle thought and it comes out like a piece of broken bottle."
i hope this is how it is after stroke paralysis brain turns to bone

no express, all impress, alive & thinking ennui

cognizant

boy o howdy do you get to suffer then
4/21/2018 10:34 AM
◂ Prev 1...45|46|47|48|49...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.