What are you reading? Topic

you ever figure out that dewey decimal thingy?
3/12/2019 10:42 AM
Posted by bagchucker on 3/12/2019 10:42:00 AM (view original):
you ever figure out that dewey decimal thingy?
Have totally given up trying to organize our books. Group by genre then size. Best we can do
3/12/2019 11:15 AM
yeah they stack and shelve real good that way
3/12/2019 12:02 PM
That "Waiting " by Ha Jin sounds very good.
3/12/2019 12:10 PM
The Last Tsar: The Life and Death of Nicholas II (1992) by Edvard Radzinsky. Great book by a talented writer who has a flair for the dramatic, and he’s got plenty to work with here with the Romanov clan, Rasputin, Lenin, Trotsky, scheming ballerinas, and a whole mess of murderous two-bit commies hungry for glory. Both informative and entertaining.

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2008) by Lee Israel. Memoir of a writer who turned to a life of crime (literary forgery) after she hit a "rough patch" in her career. Quick read, good one-liners throughout, many of them in the guise of the dead writers she was impersonating (e.g. Dorothy Parker, Noel Coward, Louise Brooks, Katharine Hepburn).
3/24/2019 2:10 AM
worst book i read all year so far: 2020 by Kenneth Steven

he's supposing a moderately white nationalist wins an election

if you're gonna give twelve points of view you cannot make them all sound like the same guy

neither can you go too hard in the slang direction, but he doesn't do that

he has one voice, half official communique and half reasonable man. gee, he can write advertising copy, so impressive. SNOREFEST

aside #1: i read asian i see chinee. author is british he does not mean chinee

aside #2: whats with these blurbs other writers provide on the backs of all books lately. allegedly famous or popular authors routinely shill for bad books. its embarrassing
3/24/2019 9:09 AM
Posted by bagchucker on 3/24/2019 9:09:00 AM (view original):
worst book i read all year so far: 2020 by Kenneth Steven

he's supposing a moderately white nationalist wins an election

if you're gonna give twelve points of view you cannot make them all sound like the same guy

neither can you go too hard in the slang direction, but he doesn't do that

he has one voice, half official communique and half reasonable man. gee, he can write advertising copy, so impressive. SNOREFEST

aside #1: i read asian i see chinee. author is british he does not mean chinee

aside #2: whats with these blurbs other writers provide on the backs of all books lately. allegedly famous or popular authors routinely shill for bad books. its embarrassing
Moderately white nationalist? Is that like a half-hearted Klansman? But I agree that it sounds like a lousy book.
3/24/2019 10:13 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by gomiami1972 on 3/28/2019 10:58:00 PM (view original):
La mare au diable (1846) - Aurore Dupin, baronne Dudevant (published as George Sand.) A widower is urged by his father-in-law to re-marry for the sake of his children and his own well-being. The father-in-law, gracious enough, has some particular standards to be met for his daughter's replacement. The widower, of course, has his own ideas. In the original French.

A History of the English Language (1957) - Albert Baugh/Thomas Cable. Relatively dry but informative summary about the historical development of English, especially in relation to the uniqueness it has in being a Germanic language with a majority Romance (French/Latin) vocabulary.
Well this will make me feel like my list is totally inadequate
3/29/2019 11:52 AM
Posted by combalt on 3/29/2019 11:52:00 AM (view original):
La mare au diable (1846) - Aurore Dupin, baronne Dudevant (published as George Sand.) A widower is urged by his father-in-law to re-marry for the sake of his children and his own well-being. The father-in-law, gracious enough, has some particular standards to be met for his daughter's replacement. The widower, of course, has his own ideas. In the original French.

A History of the English Language (1957) - Albert Baugh/Thomas Cable. Relatively dry but informative summary about the historical development of English, especially in relation to the uniqueness it has in being a Germanic language with a majority Romance (French/Latin) vocabulary.
lol, nah. A few months ago I was reading Pet Sematary (1983) by Stephen King.

What are you reading?
3/29/2019 1:12 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 3/29/2019 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by combalt on 3/29/2019 11:52:00 AM (view original):

lol, nah. A few months ago I was reading Pet Sematary (1983) by Stephen King.

What are you reading?
Still trying to get through Chernow's 'Grant,' I'm kind of stuck though so I'm also re-reading 'When Things Fall Apart' by Pema Chodron, which is better than I remembered though perhaps I'm just more open to it at this point in my life. Finally, I'm almost done with 'Prisoners of Geography:Ten Maps That Explain Everything About the World' by Tim Marshall which I find an interesting (if overly simplified) review of how much of history is / has been driven by geography.
3/29/2019 3:32 PM
For the baseball fan:

Game Six by Mark Frost. The famous World Series game of 1975. Well researched background on the participants - players & others. Lots of info I didn't know before. Some silly mistakes like calling Cincy's ballpark Riverfront Park. A quick, enjoyable read.
3/29/2019 4:02 PM
With The Old Breed by EB Sledge
The Struggle For Guadalcanal by SE Morison

kind of a island hopping thing, like a cruise in the south seas

mai tais and coconuts, hula girls and mid-day naps
4/2/2019 12:14 AM
Posted by bagchucker on 4/2/2019 12:15:00 AM (view original):
With The Old Breed by EB Sledge
The Struggle For Guadalcanal by SE Morison

kind of a island hopping thing, like a cruise in the south seas

mai tais and coconuts, hula girls and mid-day naps
Guadalcanal is a fascinating battle, in many ways more important than Midway. The possession of Lunga Point/Henderson field was the key to the entire southern resource area.
4/2/2019 9:37 PM
Reading Bill O'Neal's "The Pacific Coast League: 1903-1988". Very, very eye-opening how many of the familiar names we know on this site had great careers we don't always know about in the PCL.

It would be great if PCL, Texas League and Negro League stats and players were available for our rosters and teams here on WIS.

Certainly the excuse that the former management here (the one whose name rhymes with "pox"), that the stats don't exist in reliable form for the Negro Leagues does not apply in any way for the Pacific Coast League.
4/11/2019 12:36 PM
◂ Prev 1...54|55|56|57|58...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.