What are you reading? Topic

Nice posts!! The read on the plague sounds riveting.........as well as tough! Way to go Coach! Everyone knows my love of reading History.

Currently I'm reading Alvin M. Josephy, Jr.'s "The Patriot Chiefs" (A Chronicle of American Indian Resistance)
Was quite interested in learning of the Seminole Wars in Florida and of, and about what constituted, the peoples of the Seminole Tribe and of their bravest Patriots including Osceola.
Am now reading of the rivalry between Black Hawk and Keokuk and the loss (by the Indians) of the traditional homelands of the Sauk and Fox Tribes.
It's kinda ironic because one of my Progressive teams is based in Chicago and I had long ago named them the Red Sauks.
12/18/2019 12:18 PM
i have a comprehensive history library - mostly american history.
i have great books about each president - both parties...all presidents and their tenure except current events -.they will go in the closet sequestered.

2 books i just got on clinton that are nitty gritty and balanced are -

1. clinton's world - remaking foreign policy - william g. hyland - 1999
2. clinton's war on terror - redefining us security strategy , 1993 - 2001 - 2018

my library goes way beyond publicized biographies.
i try to get dedicated books for each president on specific events and policies and economics and general foreign policy.

if no objection ill post new findings from time to time.

12/20/2019 2:52 PM
The Dante Club

bostocentric

makes the case that dante was a soldier and a patriot and a christian and a seer

and to my mind a bust

but it does kick the sh*t out of Harvard

12/28/2019 10:46 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 12/28/2019 10:46:00 PM (view original):
The Dante Club

bostocentric

makes the case that dante was a soldier and a patriot and a christian and a seer

and to my mind a bust

but it does kick the sh*t out of Harvard

I liked it actually. I have to reread it maybe to see what you are saying about Dante, because I didn't get that. But maybe it's there but knowing Dante fairly well, I don't really see him that way (a Christian yes, but a somewhat modern one before his time).

The Boston-cetricity I liked because it shows the importance of this gang of rejects from Harvard, who were really intellectually superior to the pedants at the universities in that time, who first translated Dante, especially Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, whom we once used to memorize and whose poetry I still like (I know, it's outdated but it's still good).

1/1/2020 12:04 PM
I read a series of spy novels that I highly recommend: Will Jordan's "Ryan Drake" series, starting with "Redemption".

There are 8 novels, all inexpensive on Kindle, all worth reading.

The man can really write a spell-binding story, and these are wonderful action movies waiting to be made into films.

He follows the same major characters through a whole series of adventures, treacheries, conspiracies, betrayals, heroic actions, in countries around the world.

Nothing is ever quite what it seems.

The author is also the personality "Critical Drinker" on Youtube, who has one of the best channels discussing movies.

Lost of fun. I have finished the 8th book, waiting for the 9th to come out. He better not do a George RR Martin on me...
1/1/2020 12:09 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Who is Teddy Villanova? (1977) by Thomas Berger. A parody of Raymond Chandler-style detective novels, full of puns and slapstick and crazy shenanigans. Some laughs, but not one of Berger’s best. A better effort in this vein is The Time Machine Did It (2004) by Simpsons writer John Swartzwelder.
1/6/2020 4:27 PM (edited)
1/6/2020 3:51 PM
Posted by bronxcheer on 1/6/2020 3:51:00 PM (view original):
One of my favorites.
1/12/2020 8:46 PM
Posted by dino27 on 12/20/2019 2:53:00 PM (view original):
i have great books about each president - both parties...all presidents and their tenure except current events -.they will go in the closet sequestered.

2. clinton's war on terror - redefining us security strategy , 1993 - 2001 - 2018

i try to get dedicated books for each president on specific events and policies and economics and general foreign policy.

Wow. That is really impressive and cool, and indeed do post updates.

Wait, so you have actually read books about Chester A. Arthur and James Garfield?

You might be the only one. As Kenneth Clark said in his TV series Civilization "You can't write a bestseller about Raphael."
1/12/2020 8:51 PM
thank you for your effication.

2 recent additions -

1. reflections on the cuban missle crisis - revised edition - raymond l. garthoff - 1989
2. the great transition - american - soviet relations and the end of the cold war - raymond l. garthoff - 1994

raymond was never blacklisted....was an very important spook and participant in significant events.....and extremely important fellow in the loop in the foreign policy and world affairs world.
he is one of the authors and investigators that the diplomats and foreign policy officials would read to keep up.......
he is published through the brookings institution.
1/12/2020 11:18 PM
re-reading

1/19/2020 12:44 PM
Posted by dino27 on 12/20/2019 2:53:00 PM (view original):

Dino, what’s your favorite book on:

teddy roosevelt
World War I (not necessarily with a specific focus on the US involvement)
a “non famous” president like a Zachary Taylor type
1/19/2020 4:01 PM
TR - THE BULLY PULPIT - DORIS KEANES GOODWIN - a powerpack combo of tr and howard taft and muck.
and THE WILDERNESS WARRIOR - DOUGLAS BRINKLEY - a great historian of rich diverse interests including nature from forrest to outer space.
this book is and will forever be the definitive book on roosevelt's contribution to conservation.

WW1- THE GUNS OF AUGUST -BARBARA TUCHISMAN - elite bookshelf stuffer
and a new and interesting specialty book on the role and rise of the marines in WW1 - FIRST TO FIGHT - OSCAR GILBERT AND ROMAINE CARSIVIER

JOHN TYLER -THE ACCIDENTAL PRESIDENT - EDWARD CRAPOL - the story of a ******* moron who served from 1841 - 1845 and helped expand slavery as a national value and later helped lead the way for the confederacy......died like a dog in 1862 after urging on succession and urinating on a fire hydrant.
1/19/2020 6:42 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...64|65|66|67|68...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.