What are you reading? Topic

If your book collection is big enough to have you thinking about labor intensive DDS organizing you might think about thinning out the herd. Pick out the books you won't read again and haul them to a local used book store. Or the Salvation Army, or a local hospital or hospice. I think most VA hospitals have more than their share of long-term patients, and books are always appreciated.
11/15/2009 7:39 PM
it's a good idea Sheller
11/15/2009 9:34 PM
Just finished Playing for Pizza. Not a bad little book.

I also have once again picked up The Great american Stat Book 1986 by Bill James. Before he was big time. The book has some amazing ideas considering how old it is. My grandpa used to buy me all kids of crap from the Goodwill. If it had anything to do with baseball he bought it for me. I have Dodgers Monopoly and other random things.

He bought me the book and I had tossed it aside. He passed away shortly after when he drowned trying to save his brother while hunting. It was the last thing he gave me. I picked it up shortly after his death and am constanly looking at it ever since.
11/15/2009 9:46 PM
SPIRIT LAKE- MACKINLAY KANTOR

BATTLE CRY FOR FREEDOM- JAMES MACPHERSON
11/16/2009 12:08 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By kneeneighbor on 11/15/2009
Just finished Playing for Pizza. Not a bad little book.

I read that book too... what a great time that would have been. Too bad they don't have a baseball league like that... I would have gone yesterday
11/16/2009 12:15 PM
I read Playing For Pizza too and enjoyed it. It's about as easy a read as you can get, to boot. Another great Grisham non-lawyer fiction book is Bleachers. Even better than PFP. A Painted House was also excellent.
11/16/2009 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By mudbone1969 on 11/16/2009I read Playing For Pizza too and enjoyed it. It's about as easy a read as you can get, to boot. Another great Grisham non-lawyer fiction book is Bleachers. Even better than PFP. A Painted House was also excellent
Some may have seen the movie...Varsity Blues
11/16/2009 6:02 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By mickjagger on 11/16/2009
BATTLE CRY FOR FREEDOM- JAMES MACPHERSON

The Civil War book. If you like the causes of the war read "The Impending Crisis". I can't remember the author but it is good.
11/16/2009 6:07 PM
Anyone read The Partner by Grisham? I have it from the library but cant decide if I should start it or find something else. I have also been into the WEB Griffin Cops Series and am looking forward to the next one on the list.
11/16/2009 6:13 PM
I liked it. I vote "read it."
11/16/2009 6:59 PM
I've got a subject I'm interested in but can't find a book to match it. Enough readers on here that someone may know a book.

Looking for a descriptive history, or a historical novel, about the late-19th/early 20th century steel industry in America. I don't want a corporate level book - read one about that titled Meet You in Hell by Les Standiford. Andrew Carnegie was pretty much THE steel industry, and you can find plenty of books about him.

What I want is a more frontline, common laborers account. It sounds like some of the jobs were the most dangerous ever in the country.
11/16/2009 10:59 PM
I've restarted for the third time; "The Killer Angels: A Novel of the Civil War" by Michael Schaara. IMHO, it is the best Civil War battle novel ever written. Its based on the battle of Gettysburg and inspired the movie by the same name.
11/16/2009 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By bagchucker on 11/08/2009
Cormac McCarthy, No Country For Old Men

meh
11/17/2009 8:27 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By bagchucker on 11/17/2009
Quote: Originally Posted By bagchucker on 11/08/2009

Cormac McCarthy, No Country For Old Men

meh, BLOOD MERIDIAN WAS BETTER
11/17/2009 10:32 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By sheller on 11/16/2009

I've got a subject I'm interested in but can't find a book to match it. Enough readers on here that someone may know a book.

Looking for a descriptive history, or a historical novel, about the late-19th/early 20th century steel industry in America. I don't want a corporate level book - read one about that titled Meet You in Hell by Les Standiford. Andrew Carnegie was pretty much THE steel industry, and you can find plenty of books about him.

What I want is a more frontline, common laborers account. It sounds like some of the jobs were the most dangerous ever in the country.

Try "Out of this furnace". University of Pittsburgh Press. I read it in college in the 1980's. Probably out of print.

EDIT: Actually, it is still in print... Amazon.com sells it. http://www.amazon.com/Out-This-Furnace-Immigrant-America/dp/0822952734
11/17/2009 11:08 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.