What are you reading? Topic

Strangers on a Train (1950) by Patricia Highsmith. Very well-written crime story -- creepy, suspenseful, misanthropic, and frequently funny.  Quite different from the Hitchcock film adaptation that came out a year later and, in my opinion, better. 
12/21/2015 7:13 AM
Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster (1997, English translation 2005) by Svetlana Alexievich, who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2015.  This is a very powerful oral history of the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.  Many different voices contribute to this book --  some philosophical, some heart-breaking, some angry, some humorous, and some grotesque in their apparatchik soullessness.  This is the best non-fiction book I've read in many years.  
1/10/2016 1:41 PM (edited)
DONE WITH ALL 5 GAME OF THRONES. WAS GOING TO BEGIN WHEEL OF TIME SERIES, BUT I'M BURNED OUT ON FANTASY FOR A WHILE

RE-READING "THE SOT-WEED FACTOR" BY JOHN BARTH
1/10/2016 8:29 AM
I am reading "The Game: Inside the Secret World of Baseball's Power Brokers" by John Pessah. 

It is a must-read for baseball fans. Extremely eye-opening about the events of the past 20 years of baseball. 

Selig was as awful as he seemed to be, even worse. In any case, some startling realities. 
1/25/2016 11:02 AM
The Great Baseball Revolt: the rise and fall of the 1890 Players League by Robert B. Ross is due out April 1...
2/13/2016 8:59 PM
11/22/63 by Stephen King
2/14/2016 12:28 PM
I loved under the dome...vintage all the way but I couldn't finish 11/22/63.
2/14/2016 12:44 PM
starting the Rex Stout Nero Wolfe series chronologically and reading new book by Bart D. Ehrman.
3/13/2016 10:09 PM
the guy that wrote the revenant wrote five big westerns

the library didn't have Lord Grizzly so i read King of Spades

basically a big morality play, trite, dated, a plot like molasses

but author is able with the birds and the bees

soaring naturalist, gritty pastoralist

i imagine Lord Grizzly is better for not being hung on a framework of bloated tragedy

i can also imagine Lord Grizzly getting hung up like Steinbeck on right vs wrong, whether tis better, forgive or revenge

the big moral wrestle that bogs down bad books
3/14/2016 1:29 PM
Just finished Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan by Fr.John Hardon. Had a gift card and just ordered 4 books, 1 baseball and 3 spiritual/educational.

1)Batting by FC Lane
2)Priority of Christ:Toward a Postliberal Catholicism by Bishop Robert Barron
3)Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Ludwig Ott
4)Introduction to the Science of Mental Health by Fr.Chad Ripperger

3/14/2016 1:33 PM
Bagchucker..i have to say that i really enjoy reading your entries...you talk about books the way jack keruoac or burroughs would if they were a critic...great great stuff.
3/14/2016 2:26 PM
id like to make a strong recommendation....duane swierczynskii....anyone who has his chops and keeps that name does it his way and takes no prisoners.....he is the reincarnation of Frederick brown....he is one part rod serling...one part Raymond chandler and one part Lsd....you gotta read this guy.
3/21/2016 11:20 PM
It Can't Happen Here Sinclair Lewis novel about the rise of Facism in the US in the 1930s. Somehow it seems timely.
3/22/2016 4:54 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by seamar_116 on 3/22/2016 4:54:00 AM (view original):
It Can't Happen Here Sinclair Lewis novel about the rise of Facism in the US in the 1930s. Somehow it seems timely.
All too timely. Sequel might be "Iron Heel" by Jack London if things keep going this way !
3/22/2016 2:24 PM
◂ Prev 1...28|29|30|31|32...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.