What are you reading? Topic

Another was about after the game Lombardi screamed at us for 45 minutes in the locker room."Oh,by the way, we won 14-6."This goes with a quote by Lombardi that says-If you wait til youre losing to correct your mistakes youre too late
12/1/2016 9:17 PM
Just finished John Thorn's Baseball In The Garden Of Eden and started on Francona: The Red Sox Years.
12/2/2016 1:47 AM
no work today having what my doctor lovingly refered to as 'putting a garden hose up my butt" procedure as i was in the restroom for hours last night started rereading The glory of their times man i love that book i am sure most on this site have read it and probably own it but to those who have'nt go get it just a awesome book about a simpler time in america
12/2/2016 9:51 AM
Guilty Thing: A Life of Thomas De Quincey (2016) by Frances Wilson. Well-written bio of the English opium-eater, with plenty of illumination of what literary England was like in the early 1800s -- a lot more rambunctious and vicious than you might think! De Quincey was a fascinating figure, part-charlatan and part-genius; other big names from the era, like Wordsworth, Coleridge, Hazlitt and Carlyle, figure prominently here as well.
12/5/2016 12:41 PM
I recommend Loose Balls....the story of the ABA.
12/7/2016 8:39 PM
great book..a must for all basketball fans...the nba is really today's aba.....except for the basketball which i wish they would use.
12/7/2016 11:51 PM
I am reading a book that is ideal to start the Trump era...and to think about what else might be possible instead...

It is a book that might actually be liked by both ArlenWilliams and Dino27:

Christopher Lasch, The Revolt of the Elites

1/19/2017 12:32 PM
the surrender of the working class is being written.
1/20/2017 11:42 AM
Is that a novel?

I'm about 3/4ths of the way thru John Steinbeck's "East of Eden"................ I think it's an epic.
Slice of Americana for sure.
1/20/2017 2:13 PM
I've been reading a lot of non-fiction recently: literary essays, humor, reportage, etc.

Russell Baker's Looking Back: Heroes, Rascals, and Other Icons of the American Imagination (2002). Essays originally published as book reviews in the New York Review of Books. The subjects are as diverse as the title implies: William Randolph Hearst, Joe Mitchell, Joe Dimaggio, JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Eugene Debs (and his loopy biographer Marguerite Young), etc. Baker's a talented writer with good insights on whatever he chooses to write about. Highly recommended.

But Do Blondes Prefer Gentlemen?: Homage to Qwert Yuiop and Other Writings? (1986) by Anthony Burgess. A wide-ranging collection from the "Clockwork Orange" author. There's lots here on books and writers, language, music, film, art, history, politics, etc., all of it very smartly-written (I confess, I had to look up the definition of about two words per page, on average).

Uncivil Liberties (1982) and With All Disrespect: More Uncivil Liberties (1985) by Calvin Trillin . Short topical humor essays, somewhat dated (a lot of Reagan-era references), but a fine, droll wit throughout.

Killings (1984) by Calvin Trillin. The rare non-funny Trillin book, although there are subtle humorous asides here and there. I recently re-read this again after many years, and still find it very good. A collection of sixteen articles, originally published in The New Yorker between 1969 and 1982, concerning murders, possible murders, accidental deaths, suicides, etc. There's not much suspense or mystery here, more a survey of American life conducted by a writer with a very sharp eye.
1/26/2017 10:54 PM
Zama (1956), an existentialist novel by Argentine writer Antonio di Benedetto, recently translated into English for the first time. The story is told from the point-of-view of a Spanish government official in South America in the 1790s, and concerns his slow descent into madness. (You ever notice that descents into madness are always slow? No one's ever snappy about descending into madness.) The writing is good but dense, and feels a lot longer than its 198 pages. Not a breezy read, but worth it if you're in the mood for something meatier than genre fiction. The last two sentences deliver quite the kick.
2/14/2017 10:25 AM
I recently finished The Pitch That Killed: The Story of Carl Mays, Ray Chapman, and the Pennant Race of 1920 by Mike Sowell. It includes numerous anecdotes, as well as play by play descriptions of individual games, that are described in such detail that it makes you wonder how much of the book is historical and how much is embellishment. Regardless, it's very entertaining and I'm sure that anyone with an interest in the history of baseball would love it.
2/14/2017 12:11 PM
Hey soup, I read that one a few years ago (I can't recall if I mentioned it in this thread). You're right, a very entertaining book. I recall there was lots of stuff on the Black Sox, and the sticky situation when it looked like they might repeat as AL champs. I always wondered what MLB would have done if they'd finished first despite getting half their team banned for life with about three games left in the regular season. Would they have been allowed to advance to the World Series?
2/14/2017 12:42 PM
I just finished "Yankee for Life" Bobby Murcer's autobiography. Moving, entertaining, a nice little book by and about the life of a good man and a good player. The chapter on broadcasting with Phil Rizzuto is hilarious.
2/14/2017 1:57 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 2/14/2017 12:43:00 PM (view original):
Hey soup, I read that one a few years ago (I can't recall if I mentioned it in this thread). You're right, a very entertaining book. I recall there was lots of stuff on the Black Sox, and the sticky situation when it looked like they might repeat as AL champs. I always wondered what MLB would have done if they'd finished first despite getting half their team banned for life with about three games left in the regular season. Would they have been allowed to advance to the World Series?
You may have mentioned it, crazy. That may be where I heard about the book. I suppose MLB would have had to allow the White Sox to play in the 1920 WS if they'd won the pennant, especially after Comiskey suspended the players involved.
I also hadn't known about Mays being accused of taking bribes to lose in the 1921 & 1922 World Series, although I assume those were false accusations. He didn't seem to go out of his way to make friends.
2/14/2017 5:25 PM
◂ Prev 1...38|39|40|41|42...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.