OFFICIAL© NEW YORK METS THREAD 2010 Topic

Quote: Originally Posted By bosoxbill on 12/03/2009Mets suc
WE CAN STILL CHEER FOR THEM, LITTLE MAN!!!
12/3/2009 4:11 PM
Looks like it may be too late.
12/3/2009 4:15 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By bklynborn on 12/03/2009
Quote: Originally Posted By Primetime17 on 12/03/2009

Quote: Originally Posted By mfahie on 12/03/2009
Reyes is coming off by far the worst season of his career. Youdont sell low. Trading Santana makes more sense, and you know how I feel about that!
IMO, he is easily one of the most lackadasical ball players on that team. He has spent the last 2 years listening to people tell him how great he is, he forgot to actually work at his job! He constantly makes base running blunders - how the f*ck can you not learn from Rickey???

The guy has spent two season resting on his laurels(which, aside from raw talent, wasn't much)

Sorry - he's either got to change that work ethic, or hit the bricks before he walks(literally) and the Mets get nada for him.

The Mets got rid of Ricky 2 years specificlly because of the adverse effect he was having on Reyes. Unfortuntatly he was learning the wrong things from Ricky.
So, because your prima-donna prospect wasn't able to learn from the greatest base-stealer of all time, there's obviously something wrong with Rickey. Makes sense.

...and the Mets wonder why they keep...ah, forget it.

Look what YOU yourself said!!! "...he's got to change his work ethic..." RIGHT! Exactly! Now was Ricky the right guy to teach him that??

Reyes is a jerk. I know that. Talanted jerk, but a jerk nonetheless.

Ricky Henderson is getting alot more praise these days, then back in the day, when he was regarded as a jerk also.

Reyes was learning the bad things, the attitude, etc. Mets just about said "We GOT to get Ricky away from Reyes before its too late."

Sorry. Its the truth.
12/3/2009 4:15 PM
Looks like it may be too late.

I agree. Reyes fustrates me so much. Now at least he can use the injury as an excuse. Shame.
12/3/2009 4:17 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By kermit on 12/03/2009
Quote: Originally Posted By bosoxbill on 12/03/2009
Mets suck
WE CAN STILL CHEER FOR THEM, LITTLE MAN!!

Part of the joy/fustration of being a Met or Jet fan. They usually do suck. And we love them, just the same.
12/3/2009 4:19 PM
Look what YOU yourself said!!! "...he's got to change his work ethic..." RIGHT! Exactly! Now was Ricky the right guy to teach him that??

So, the Mets decided that Rickey was the problem......got it.

All-time leader in SB's, RS & BB's(for a while) - nah, he can't teach the kid anything.......I'm just pointing out that the Mets claim Rickey couldn't help the kid. Dozens & dozens of other major leaguers have benefitted from him - y'think it may be the kid??

I agree, it is very frustrating watching such talent going to waste - and I can't stand the Mets!

12/3/2009 4:36 PM
Bklyn, one agree and one disagree. Right about Reyes and Rickey - Roger Cedeno and his 66 SBs wishes that Rickey had stayed around!

But your point about trading Reyes - everyone feels the same way you do, which is why you absolutely can't trade him. You just won't get enough value in return.

On the other hand, with his solid year last year, Castillo is now at least somewhat of a commodity. I wouldn't mind seeing him n a trade somewhere. Sell high!
12/3/2009 5:43 PM
I think the Mets really should trade Santana, but as much as I dislike Reyes, I think he has to stay and somehow mature. SS like him are very hard to find and he's young enough to still make a difference. He might wind up like Gary Templeton too- and just be an immature flash who can't live up to his potential...I can see the concept of the Mets "Not-rebuilding"- that does make sense in the NY market- but they should right the ship once and for all while the Yanks are the indisputed champs of NY. Patching it probably won't work- there just aren't the right parts available in the FA market..but there could be the right parts in the trade market. The Mets may not need a stud like Santana in that new park of theirs...it looks like it cut homers down alot regardless of who was pitching...if they could get two or three really good young players it might be a good thing to do. I never saw it as a "salary dump"- but as a trade of their only valuable commodity...Wright has to stay, Reyes wouldn't get too much after the off-year(s)... and frankly there's nobody else that a team would trade too much to get...
12/3/2009 5:50 PM
OK, so trading him isn't the answer....how about a swift kick in the *** for the kid.

Damn, there are times he looks phenomenal - like he can take a game, a series over (the way, ahem, Rickey used to) - but there are way too many times(for a professional) where his head seems like it's somewhere other than the game.

Way to many
12/3/2009 6:24 PM
Backman is in Brooklyn....Mets need Backman with the big club.
12/3/2009 6:56 PM
12/3/2009 7:19 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By kermit on 12/03/2009
Quote: Originally Posted By mfahie on 12/03/2009
Reyes is coming off by far the worst season of his career. Youdont sell low.
Replace "Reyes" with "Hardy" and "dont" with "do", and add a "especially if you're Doug Melvin" at the end
I think the answer's 5, but I'm not sure.
12/3/2009 7:47 PM
I don't feel like reading all 3 pages of this, but I'll say that I'm in the "dumbass" crowd that believes it wise to trade a player, regardless of how good he is, if you can get more talent in return. The talent in return can be measure in quantity and quality of players/prospects and/or years you have that talent under control. Also, if you cut his (Santana's) payroll, you can then use that to buy more free agents with.

There are lots of stupid organizations (like the Mets) who would be delighted to give the Mets a boatload of free talent in return for Santana. You can then take the dollars you cut and go buy more stuff. Nobody is too good to be traded. I wouldn't mind seeing a 'Pujols for The Florida Marlins' trade.
12/3/2009 7:52 PM
I wouldn't have any problems trading a guy like Santana, but his contract would limit the market for him - which is how the Mets got him relatively on the cheap in the first place.
12/3/2009 8:03 PM
"Re-Building" implies that the Mets were at one time "Built"...Over the past 8 seasons the Mets are eight games under .500. They had but one play-off appearance in 2006 and only 4 seasons over .500. Two of their "best" seasons ended in the worst choking ever in professional sports...(even eclipsing the '64 phils) I don't see them as "re-building" or "re-loading" or anything like that...if anything they are "re-membering" how they got to be so ****** in the first place and are doomed to "re-peat" the same mistakes unless there's a changing of the guard...
12/3/2009 8:23 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...8 Next ▸
OFFICIAL© NEW YORK METS THREAD 2010 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.