EXCITING ROYALS NEWS RIGHT NOW NOW NOW!!! Topic

Posted by dahsdebater on 4/22/2015 4:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jlrunruh on 4/22/2015 8:30:00 AM (view original):
You cannot say that Lawrie was going for the bag. That is plain idiotic. He had to REACH BACK to touch the bag. OBVIOUSLY going for the legs
Duh.  So are the guys on the other 10000 takeout slides each season.  That's what you're supposed to do.  Did you ever actually play baseball?  You have to make a pretense of going for the bag, but everybody and his uncle knows you take out the legs on a slide into 2nd if you're trying to protect the batter heading to first...
There was no chance at a double play, and I assumed that was obvious. Now, Lawrie may not have REALIZED that, but otherwise it was just a dirty play.
4/22/2015 5:57 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/22/2015 9:46:00 AM (view original):
Meh.   I don't know if Lawrie knew there was no chance for a DP but it's pretty obvious that there wasn't.    Another thing to consider is that Escobar is unaccustomed to receiving a ball at 2B in that manner.   His momentum is usually going the other way.   He probably doesn't know how to protect himself that way.   Lawrie got plunked and that should have been the end of it.
I agree
4/22/2015 5:57 PM
Posted by jlrunruh on 4/22/2015 5:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/22/2015 4:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jlrunruh on 4/22/2015 8:30:00 AM (view original):
You cannot say that Lawrie was going for the bag. That is plain idiotic. He had to REACH BACK to touch the bag. OBVIOUSLY going for the legs
Duh.  So are the guys on the other 10000 takeout slides each season.  That's what you're supposed to do.  Did you ever actually play baseball?  You have to make a pretense of going for the bag, but everybody and his uncle knows you take out the legs on a slide into 2nd if you're trying to protect the batter heading to first...
There was no chance at a double play, and I assumed that was obvious. Now, Lawrie may not have REALIZED that, but otherwise it was just a dirty play.
It was a bad (but not vicious or uncommon) slide and then Ventura hit him. It should have ended there. The Cain beaning didn't look intentional, especially because Lawrie wasn't even upset when Ventura hit him. Herrera was the biggest idiot in this thing. Totally deserved the suspension.
4/22/2015 6:09 PM
Agreed
4/22/2015 6:18 PM
The Cain beaning was a fastball at his legs. I believe that that was intentional, it had zero movement. I guess Herrera was an idiot, though.
4/22/2015 7:18 PM
It looked like Kazmir just yanked a fastball. I think it hit Cain in the foot. It's pretty hard to hit someone on the foot on purpose.
4/22/2015 7:24 PM
It's just a matter of opinion.
4/22/2015 8:50 PM
That's sort of exactly the point, though.  It's extremely open to interpretation.  My gut feeling is that, given the circumstances, there's a pretty good chance that he at least wanted to dust Cain off.  He may not really have wanted to hit him, but he wanted to send some kind of message, get him dirty.  And I don't think it had anything to do with Cain's batting.  But with all that said, it's clearly a pretty ambiguous case.  It's not the sort of thing that warrants continued escalation if you're not even sure it was intentional.  Throwing behind a batter when you've been demonstrating solid command is fairly unambiguous, and became even more unambiguous with the subsequent gesture.  There's a massive difference in scale.
4/22/2015 10:18 PM
I think we all agree that Herrera was amatuer
4/23/2015 8:04 AM
Royals news. Another Ventura start, another benches clearing brawl. I'm sensing a pattern here. Is that three starts in a row?
4/23/2015 11:11 PM
Yes. Poor victimized royals. (Heavy sarcasm)
4/24/2015 3:32 AM
12 HBP IN THE COURSE OF 7 GAMES, THROW IN THE LAWRIE SLIDE, SOME ****'S GONNA HAPPEN. MOST TEAMS WOULD RESPOND SIMILIARLY. IF NOT YER LOOKING AT A LAST-PLACE,  RESIGNED TO LOSING CLUB.
4/24/2015 5:10 AM
Texas has been hit more and they haven't responded this way. And it's not just hit by pitches the royals are getting upset about. Remember ventura's second start of the season, when he got into it with mike trout for having the audacity to score a run on him? Ventura is a modern day Carlos zambrano, capable of greatness when his emotions don't get him in trouble. When he hit Lawrie, it wasn't Lawrie's first trip to the plate, that would have been baseball retaliation. This was young kid getting ****** off because things weren't going his way after cruising through three innings. The batter before, reddick, had just hit a three run jack to make it 5-0. Similarly on Sunday, there was no retaliation on Sunday, by Duffy or the other kc relievers until another head case, Herrera, came in. I don't care how many times they've been hit, trying to deliberately injure or wreck the careers, or possibly lives, of other players is a **** poor way of doing it. By the way, all caps generally indicates shouting. There's no need to get upset, unless you are ray chapmans parent, of course, then you have every right to be upset about hbp.
4/24/2015 7:08 AM
TEXAS DOESN'T RESPOND== ALSO-RAN TEAM
4/24/2015 7:11 AM
Posted by bronxcheer on 4/24/2015 5:10:00 AM (view original):
12 HBP IN THE COURSE OF 7 GAMES, THROW IN THE LAWRIE SLIDE, SOME ****'S GONNA HAPPEN. MOST TEAMS WOULD RESPOND SIMILIARLY. IF NOT YER LOOKING AT A LAST-PLACE,  RESIGNED TO LOSING CLUB.
agreed
4/24/2015 7:55 AM
◂ Prev 1...23|24|25|26|27...33 Next ▸
EXCITING ROYALS NEWS RIGHT NOW NOW NOW!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.