Successfully Got Trade Vetoed Topic

Just an FYI to commishes that you can get a bad deal vetoed, even in worlds where vetoes are rare.

I sent a sitemail to the 30 owners not involved in a very lopsided trade. Also discussed the deal on the chat board. I laid out my reasons for why I thought the trade was lopsided, and also noted that one of the owners (the one getting screwed) was new, and if he's a one-and-done owner, that would really hurt his successor.

Both the sitemail and the chat board post generated a healthy discussion. The two owners involved didn't protest.

Ultimately, 13 owners vetoed the trade. The two owners may try to rework the trade, although the seller (the one who would have gotten screwed) is likely to field offers far and wide for his two pitchers.
1/14/2010 12:48 PM
Uh, you don't have to be a commish to do that.
1/14/2010 1:01 PM
I know that. But commishes have complained on here about how to rally the troops to get a veto, so ...
1/14/2010 1:17 PM
Campaigning for vetoes is stupid.

If your world isn't bright enough to veto something when to its own devices, you're probably in a 'tard world.
1/14/2010 1:22 PM
That's a pretty naive comment, iain.
1/14/2010 2:22 PM
Funny... I'd have thought the opposite, actually.
1/14/2010 2:24 PM
There have been several threads on here about trades that didn't get 10 veto votes.

I have never "campaigned" for a veto before, but in this case, wanted to make sure the deal got vetoed, so I pushed. Several owners in the league told me they appreciated the sitemail explaining why I was asking them to join in the veto.

Of course, the trade may have been vetoed anyway. But to suggest that a commish putting in some effort = a tard world is illogical.
1/14/2010 2:27 PM
Well, then congratulations. You've proven that you can exert your will on your world.
1/14/2010 2:34 PM
Perhaps next time you can crack the passowrd of at least 9 other owners and veto for them.
1/14/2010 2:41 PM
I agree with iain for the most part (geez, that hurts). You shouldn't have to lobby for vetoes in a good world. If you do need to do that in order to get an obviously bad trade vetoed, then you've got a bigger problem going on in that world than one bad trade.

But it also couldn't hurt, if you see a questionable trade, to at least post something in the World Chat to point out that there's a pending trade that should be looked at by everybody. Shouldn't have to go any further than that.

Not everybody is going to scrutinize every trade. But if asked, they might be willing to take a close look at a particular deal.
1/14/2010 2:43 PM
I just boot owners that **** me off out of worlds I commish. Annoy me, find a new world. A lot less work than sending 30 sitemails.

1/14/2010 2:45 PM
Awesome graphics, Mike.
1/14/2010 2:47 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By tecwrg on 1/14/2010
I agree with iain for the most part (geez, that hurts). You shouldn't have to lobby for vetoes in a good world. If you do need to do that in order to get an obviously bad trade vetoed, then you've got a bigger problem going on in that world than one bad trade.

But it also couldn't hurt, if you see a questionable trade, to at least post something in the World Chat to point out that there's a pending trade that should be looked at by everybody. Shouldn't have to go any further than that.

Not everybody is going to scrutinize every trade. But if asked, they might be willing to take a close look at a particular deal.

Agreed. Sometimes you just need to point out a trade in WC with a "WTF is that deal all about?"
1/14/2010 2:47 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By tecwrg on 1/14/2010Awesome graphics, Mike

I suited up for that booting.
1/14/2010 2:50 PM
Looks like you were multi-tasking . . . booting AND doing the Chicken-Dance.
1/14/2010 2:54 PM
123456 Next ▸
Successfully Got Trade Vetoed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.