Successfully Got Trade Vetoed Topic

Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 1/14/2010Uh, you don't have to be a commish to do that

With that said, is it any different for an owner to call for a veto? And, if any owner can call for a veto, should the commish(who, you know, has a team in the world) be excluded from something any other owner can do?
1/15/2010 11:26 AM
I think that since the owner that he was protecting was a newbie it was appropriate. Another thing, maybe he sitemailed the other owners because he didn't want it to become a tard world.
1/15/2010 11:26 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By moosep on 1/15/2010I think that since the owner that he was protecting was a newbie it was appropriate. Another thing, maybe he sitemailed the other owners because he didn't want it to become a tard world.
That's the thing. He shouldn't have to site-mail for that to happen. If the owners are on top of things, the trade won't go through anyways....
1/15/2010 11:28 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 1/15/2010
Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 1/14/2010
Uh, you don't have to be a commish to do that.

With that said, is it any different for an owner to call for a veto? And, if any owner can call for a veto, should the commish(who, you know, has a team in the world) be excluded from something any other owner can do?
I'll bite. I don't think anyone should campaign for a veto. I think it's ok to say why you are going to veto, if you choose to.
1/15/2010 11:29 AM
If that's the case, the vetran owner should be called to task for trying to traderape a n00b.

I'd be more in favour of a commissioner booting the vet at the end of the season than lobbying for vetos.
1/15/2010 11:30 AM
Maybe he didn't feel it was worth the gamble.
1/15/2010 11:30 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By pstrnutbag44 on 1/15/2010

I'll bite. I don't think anyone should campaign for a veto. I think it's ok to say why you are going to veto, if you choose to.

So it's not really an "abuse of power" as you suggested earlier. It's just an unacceptable, in your mind, way to go about business. Right?
1/15/2010 11:38 AM

So it's not really an "abuse of power" as you suggested earlier. It's just an unacceptable, in your mind, way to go about business. Right?
Wrong. I never even said "abuse of power". There is a difference. For any owner to do it, is one thing. When a commsih does it, it is an abuse of position (not power unless the commish begins threatening to boot owners that don't veto), IMHO. Some folks will always swing whatever way the wind blows. Some folks are stubborn. Some are very impressionable. A commish lobbying for vetoes may sway some opinions simply because they are the commish. If that happens, it is an abuse of position as you used your position of semi-importance to gain extra vetoes that would not have occured. Not saying I'd follow the commish blindly, but some folks could/would. Like it or not, the commish does seem to have a certain amount of influence over some, not all, owners
1/15/2010 11:45 AM
My bad, you did say abuse of position.

So, in your opinion, a commish can't do what every other owner can do? If he does, he's abusing the position of commish, correct?
1/15/2010 11:47 AM
Ah, hell, you're too long-winded. Let me get to my point.

If you're in a world where you feel the commish is abusing the position by lobbying for vetoes, can't you leave the world? And, once you depart, couldn't you make it known to all of HBD that the commish abuses his position by lobbying for vetoes? Wouldn't that damage the world?
1/15/2010 11:49 AM

What is the difference
1/15/2010 11:49 AM
Furthermore, couldn't a commish just get a like-minded individual to do the "dirty work" of lobbying?

So, assuming all of this is true, is it really any different for a commish or an owner to lobby for vetoes?
1/15/2010 11:50 AM
My bad, you did say abuse of position.

So, in your opinion, a commish can't do what every other owner can do? If he does, he's abusing the position of commish, correct?

You still miss it. Neither should. Not an owner, not a commish. It makes it even worse when it is the commish. Short enough for ya? ;-)
1/15/2010 11:54 AM
Ah, hell, you're too long-winded. Let me get to my point.

If you're in a world where you feel the commish is abusing the position by lobbying for vetoes, can't you leave the world? And, once you depart, couldn't you make it known to all of HBD that the commish abuses his position by lobbying for vetoes? Wouldn't that damage the world?

Yes, yes, and possibly. Haven't really found myself in that position yet. I have worlds I felt were questionable at best.
1/15/2010 11:55 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By jwelsh1023 on 1/15/2010

What is the differenc
Seriously?

A: I think that trade looks funky. Either owner care to explain their reasoning before I veto on the grounds I feel it is unfair to the new guy?

B: Hey there, this is the commish. Take a look at that really awful trade up. I think it needs to be vetoed. Please look in on it and veto so we don't have this happening here.

Can you really not tell the difference?
1/15/2010 11:56 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Successfully Got Trade Vetoed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.