This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by pinotfan on 9/30/2011 8:44:00 PM (view original):
Checking the 'Use in Relief' (or whatever it's called) box in Pitcher Settings will allow an SP to be used in relief without taking him out of the rotation.
Thanks pinotfan, because I unaware of that. 
10/1/2011 2:38 PM
Thanks! That was not what I expected when the season started.
11/25/2011 10:10 PM

I want to second contrarian23's kudos.  Absolutely brilliant run by brianjw's SK team and some of the most innovative PA and innings management I've seen in a long while.  One of my SK teams finished with an 81-81 record and the other is heading in the same general direction (with luck).  I took a conventional approach and used Jack Taylor as my #2 pitcher on one team and Frank Owen as my #2 on the other.  I spent $18 MM and $17 MM respectively on my non-SK pitching (starters and bullpen combined) and that didn't leave me much offense.  Contrarian23 did something somewhat similar with Andy Messersmith as his #2 pitcher.

Brianjw went in a completely different direction, spending $4.6 MM on Greg Maddux `06 and $2.7 MM on Bill Sherdel `30, and he spent around $12 MM total on non-SK pitching, leaving him plenty of money for a nice little offense that he dropped into the Kingdome.  He managed the PA's brilliantly as well, especially with the low PA guys like Tony Phillips, Nick Johnson and Frank Chance.

I'm still going to school on how he coaxed a 19-6 record out of Sherdel -- not to mention a 7-2 record out of a scrub with an effectiveness rating of 5.

A masterpiece.  One of the best OL seasons I've seen this year.

11/26/2011 12:22 AM (edited)
"A masterpiece.  One of the best OL seasons I've seen this year." -- thunder1008, WIS
"brianjw's Silver Kingdome is an absolute gem of an OL team." -- Richard Roeper, CHICAGO SUN-TIMES 
"If you see only one OL team this Christmas, see this one!" -- Peter Travers, ROLLING STONE
"Right up there with the giants of the genre: grizzly_one's Grizzly Express and miami_tilt's Blow Me, Losers." -- Gene Shalit, THE TODAY SHOW

Seriously, nice job.  My Silver King teams (I've had 3 so far, I think) have never made the playoffs.  

Right now I've got an Ed Morris team, which I thought would have even less of a chance of seeing the post-season than a Silver King team (I just wanted to break the record for most wins by a pitcher, really).  But somehow we're 49-32 at the break (good enough for the wild card spot), while Morris is 33-7.

11/26/2011 2:09 AM (edited)
Ha.  You got me dead to rights.  We're rolling into Oscar season, and I guess I've got that on my mind.

What can I say?  Crazystengel's post is witty, insightful, provocative and hilarious and it tugs at your heartstrings even as it has you rolling in the aisles and leaves you cheering for more.  A bravura performance from an iconic commentator.  Ranks alongside the classics of jfranco, contrarian and bilfert.  Ten thumbs up from the thunder.   

11/26/2011 4:04 AM
You can only give one thumbs up at a time, dummy.
11/26/2011 8:58 AM
Posted by boogerlips on 11/26/2011 8:58:00 AM (view original):
You can only give one thumbs up at a time, dummy.
Hmmm. At last count, I had two thumbs.

I give one thumb up.

I give two thumbs up.

Five of us join to give 10 thumbs up.

11/26/2011 1:25 PM (edited)
Two thumbs up, one thumbs up at a time.  If I do it 10 times in a row, is it 20 thumbs up or 10 thumbs up?  A question for the ages...
11/26/2011 1:46 PM
dummy
11/27/2011 12:53 AM
"I'm still going to school on how he coaxed a 19-6 record out of Sherdel -- not to mention a 7-2 record out of a scrub with an effectiveness rating of 5."

Most of that was just being there for the 5th inning. Maddux had to be on such a tight PC that he often didn't make it through 5, so there were lots of cheap wins to be picked up just for ending the 5th inning with a lead.

More generally, I tend to spend so much more on hitting than other people that there are lots of high scoring games. And that can make W-L records pretty random. If a scrub gives up a 2-run lead in the 6th, then I score 2 more in the 7th and hold on, they'll get the win. And that happens a fair bit when you're trying to slug your way to victory.
11/27/2011 11:47 AM
Yeah, Briany, you like to load up on the hitting!!!
12/6/2011 11:01 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...9 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.