Quote: Originally Posted By ea162 on 5/11/2010
do you realize only 1 team has ever won a title due directly to winning the draft lottery?

which of: Bird, Magic, Jordan, Hakeem, Duncan, Wade etc are you not counting? lots of teams have drafted their key player - maybe not #1 overall but then who said anything about #1 overall

5/11/2010 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By felonius on 5/11/2010

do you realize only 1 team has ever won a title due directly to winning the draft lottery?

which of: Bird, Magic, Jordan, Hakeem, Duncan, Wade etc are you not counting? lots of teams have drafted their key player - maybe not #1 overall but then who said anything about #1 overall

draft lottery, you know the way the draft is presently constructed, unless you have the #1 pick there is a lot of luck involved in who you select

Robinson and Duncan are the only #1 picks to lead their drafting team to a title in the lottery era

so you citing Shaq as the only example of a FA leading a team to a title is the equivalent

I provided quite a few names of free agent signings on title contenders in the past 10 years, did you miss the post?
5/11/2010 7:44 PM

the Knicks wouldnt be dropping $30M a year on JJ, they cant offer that much
as the contract matures they would be

how does JJ+Amare + Galinari and Wilson Chandler make for a better mix than Horford, Smith + JJ et al in Atlanta? maybe if they could figure out a way to keep Lee?

only in a sign and trade would JJ get that much from the Knicks, so again, not going to happen

do you propose the Knicks not spend any money and win 30 games every year?

that's better than locking in a first round exit for the next 4 years with only middle of the round draft picks to show for it

I'd rather tank and keep my options open, collect draft picks look for the right guy than sell short on a plan that has no chance of working

you want to talk market forces? ok the fan base would hate it but how do you think they got where they are now? Isiaah shooting for the moon and over spending on the wrong guys
5/11/2010 7:45 PM

draft lottery, you know the way the draft is presently constructed, unless you have the #1 pick there is a lot of luck involved in who you select

Robinson and Duncan are the only #1 picks to lead their team to a title in the lottery era

so you citing Shaq as the only example of a FA leading a team to a title is the equivalent

no it's not because I never said anything about #1 overall or lottery anything

I said draft wisely - it can be done, many teams have done it

5/11/2010 7:46 PM
so youre picking and choosing what you want to see

using free agency wisely can be done as well, lots of teams have done it

how is you saying Shaq is the only relevant FA signing any different than me saying Duncan/Robinson are the only relevent lottery winnings?

the lottery, the entire draft, free agency, trades, all of it has so much luck involved that to remove yourself from one of these avenues of improving your squad is silly, why limit the ways you could improve?
5/11/2010 7:52 PM
i dont understand almost all of the crap in my thread

30M a year? in what world? and these 1 game sample sizes are effin hilarious, thanks for lowering my BP with those

JJ/Gallinari/Amare would be at least the 3rd best team in the East next year, hands down, if they could find someone better than what they have to distribute the ball

does anyone realize how much Gallinari improved last year? pairing him up with 2 really good players would make that trio tough to contend with

5/11/2010 7:52 PM
btw, the knicks have no quality draft picks for the next 3 years, so the draft isnt going to be able to help you till 2013 at the absolute earliest

then you need about 3 great drafts minimum under your plan, then another 3-4 years for those players to develop fully, so youre talking about another decade before the Knicks are relevant

good plan
5/11/2010 7:54 PM
and JJ/Amare do not equal Isaiah signing Jerome James to a bloated contract
5/11/2010 7:55 PM
I'd like to see Johnson back in Boston. I wonder if sign and trades could be worked out, Perkins and Ray Allen for Johnson and Zaza. Probably too many details and things needing to work out, but I could see that as a positive trade for both teams.
5/11/2010 8:01 PM
how is that positive for Atlanta - thats total crap - Allen is out of basketball in 2 years

5/11/2010 8:04 PM
JJ/Gallinari/Amare would be at least the 3rd best team in the East next year, hands down

Ha-Ha-Ha. Nice to see tracyr still slinging nonsense.
5/11/2010 8:40 PM
Cleveland minus LeBron (say in Dallas) and Atlanta minus JJ would definitely be behind a JJ/Amare addition to NY

5/11/2010 9:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ea162 on 5/11/2010btw, the knicks have no quality draft picks for the next 3 years, so the draft isnt going to be able to help you till 2013 at the absolute earliestthen you need about 3 great drafts minimum under your plan, then another 3-4 years for those players to develop fully, so youre talking about another decade before the Knicks are relevantgood plan

Not necessarily. Houston has the right to swap with them next year; but unless Houston makes the playoffs, that becomes a lottery pick regardless.

In 2012 the pick is top 5 protected.
5/11/2010 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ea162 on 5/11/2010so youre picking and choosing what you want to seeusing free agency wisely can be done as well, lots of teams have done ithow is you saying Shaq is the only relevant FA signing any different than me saying Duncan/Robinson are the only relevent lottery winnings?the lottery, the entire draft, free agency, trades, all of it has so much luck involved that to remove yourself from one of these avenues of improving your squad is silly, why limit the ways you could improve?

1) I don't think anyone said anyone about winning the lottery aside from you.

2) If you blow a max deal on JJ/Amare, that kills your flexibility.

3) If we could get 3 of Gay, Lee, Bosh, Amare, Boozer, Drik - that gives you a chance to win big. If getting Lebron or Wade seems unlikely, I think the smart play is to keep Lee and try and get 2 more pieces.

4) Gallinari has improved considerably....but he's still not very good.

5) I think unless JJ goes to a team that is presently constructed to be good enough to contend for a championship, they will truly regret it.
5/11/2010 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tracyr on 5/11/2010how is that positive for Atlanta - thats total crap - Allen is out of basketball in 2 years 

It's dumb for Atlanta for sure. Ray has more than 2 years in the tank, although it may be as a 10 PPG role player. 31-68 from 3 in the playoffs this year.
5/12/2010 12:44 AM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...16 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.