Quote: Originally posted by ncmusician_7 on 5/10/2010There is no way Lebron will be a sign and trade. Either he'll stay in Cleveland for the max or he'll just sign elsewhere.
Why? He would get more money with a sign and trade to Dallas than he could get anywhere else.
5/10/2010 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by teamjosh04 on 5/10/2010It is not all about winning championships. Its not financially smart to wait around for years - maybe decades - until that rare GMS comes around.

As for LeBron, this idea has always intrigued me:

Bill Simmons (12:22 PM) Dallas is the sleeping giant this summer. Big city, Cuban, no state tax, Damp's contract for sign and trade purposes (for instance, if LeBron decided, I AM PLAYING IN DALLAS, Dallas could offer Damp's contract, Butler, $3 million and the French rookie.
Bill Simmons (12:24 PM) One other LeBron/Dallas wrinkle: They could play 6-8 regular season games and a couple of playoff games in the football stadium. Cuban mentioned this 2 days after the All Star Game... didnt mention LeBron specifically, just something about 'enticing free agents' that way. Hmmmmm.

If I'm Cleveland and get that proposition from LeBron and Dallas, I tell them to go F themselves.
5/10/2010 9:02 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
5/10/2010 9:02 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
5/10/2010 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by deanod on 5/10/2010
Quote: Originally posted by teamjosh04 on 5/10/2010It is not all about winning championships. Its not financially smart to wait around for years - maybe decades - until that rare GMS comes around.
As for LeBron, this idea has always intrigued me:

Bill Simmons (12:22 PM) Dallas is the sleeping giant this summer. Big city, Cuban, no state tax, Damp's contract for sign and trade purposes (for instance, if LeBron decided, I AM PLAYING IN DALLAS, Dallas could offer Damp's contract, Butler, $3 million and the French rookie.
Bill Simmons (12:24 PM) One other LeBron/Dallas wrinkle: They could play 6-8 regular season games and a couple of playoff games in the football stadium. Cuban mentioned this 2 days after the All Star Game... didnt mention LeBron specifically, just something about 'enticing free agents' that way. Hmmmmm.
If I'm Cleveland and get that proposition from LeBron and Dallas, I tell them to go F themselves.
Getting fair value for LeBron is near impossible, but what if LeBron said he was going to sign with Miami if Cleveland didn't sign and trade him to Dallas?
5/10/2010 9:09 PM
If LeBron does leave it will be in a sign and trade, $30M is the reason

Of course this also gives Cleveland leverage in negotiations and in getting something back should LeBron decide hes leaving no matter what

as josh noted, Cleveland wont be facilitating his leaving, but they also dont want to lose him for nothing
5/10/2010 9:13 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By deanod on 5/10/2010
Quote: Originally posted by teamjosh04 on 5/10/2010
Quote: Originally posted by ncmusician_7 on 5/10/2010There is no way Lebron will be a sign and trade. Either he'll stay in Cleveland for the max or he'll just sign elsewhere. [/QUOTE]Why? He would get more money with a sign and trade to Dallas than he could get anywhere else.

Cleveland is really gonna facilitate the exit of the greatest player in the history of their city in the beginning of his prime for Roddy Bo and Caron Butler? Sounds silly to me. IMO they'd need a lot more value to even consider it (say, Bynum + Odom
Portland is about the only team that could outright trade for Lebron and still have a good enough team that Lebron would consider going there. I mean Portland could trade Oden, Webster, Bayless, and Batum and still have Aldrige, Roy, Fernandez, Pryzbilla, Camby, and A. Miller to pair with Lebron. Obviously Cleveland wouldn't get full value back (but that is impossible), but they would get four young guys with talent (I know Oden is injured all the time but he does have talent). If I'm Portland I'd throw in some first rounders as well, since adding Lebron to Aldridge, Roy, etc. would put them in the Lakers league out west.

Not that I think Lebron is going to get outright traded, just that Portland makes the most sense in that scenario.
5/10/2010 9:23 PM
5/10/2010 9:24 PM
Obviously you should spend wisely and not lock up money in stupid contracts...

question is, what is would you consider a stupid contract? I certainly think the deal the Hawks gave Johnson was a good deal. If they signed him to another max, I'd consider that stupid.
5/10/2010 9:32 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By teamjosh04 on 5/10/2010
Obviously you should spend wisely and not lock up money in stupid contracts...

question is, what is would you consider a stupid contract? I certainly think the deal the Hawks gave Johnson was a good deal. If they signed him to another max, I'd consider that stupid.
then we are in agreement - JJ is worth 12-14m per - as I understand it his next contract could take him into the 20+m range just as he crests and starts to decline - not worth it

if you could get him for around the same as he is making now for like 3 years you'd be doing pretty nicely
5/10/2010 9:34 PM
Would anyone give the Hawks a chance to compete if they brought back Childress and Johnson? It sounds like Josh has really improved in Europe and is ready to come back to the NBA.

PG - Bibby/Teague
SG - Johnson/Crawford
SF - Childress/Williams
PF - Josh Smith
C - Horford/Zaza

Horford, Smith, Childress, Williams, and Teague should all continue to improve. They should easily be able to find a veteran big that has a better season than Joe Smith did.

I think they'd likely be better than Boston and would obviously be better than Cleveland if they lost LeBron. The only team in the way would be Orlando - which is quite the obstacle. Still, if it played out that way, I think you give Johnson what he wants and be happy with the success the team has.
5/10/2010 9:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by teamjosh04 on 5/10/2010Would anyone give the Hawks a chance to compete if they brought back Childress and Johnson? It sounds like Josh has really improved in Europe and is ready to come back to the NBA.

PG - Bibby/Teague
SG - Johnson/Crawford
SF - Childress/Williams
PF - Josh Smith
C - Horford/Zaza
That team has basically no chance of ever winning a title.
5/10/2010 10:01 PM
5/10/2010 10:02 PM
Cleveland will not trade Lebron for the same reason the Lakers wouldn't consider a sign and trade for Kobe when he was a FA a few years back.
5/10/2010 10:03 PM
I wouldnt give them a shot at contending either, but would you be willing to give JJ the max again and settle for what that squad gets you each year? I think if you can take in Childress and Johnson, you do it. Their team would be full of tradeable assets that they could turn something into - Crawford's expiring deal and every other contract is reasonable.
5/10/2010 10:10 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...16 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.