on another note i dont know why youd want Davis, letting Currys contract falling off is a better move IMO

wouldnt getting Davis be the same as overpaying for a FA and killing your flexibility?
5/12/2010 3:57 PM
I perceive Bosh/Lee as quite a bit better than JJ/Amare - these last couple playoffs have me convinced that he's not an integral part of a championship team. I also perceive Bosh as having one of the best ten seasons in the league this year....I don't really feel the same way about Amare.

So individual player perception is part of the issue - if you think they could be a 50 win team with Lee/Bosh, then adding Davis doesn't do harm - I guess what I'm saying is that with Lee/Bosh, I could see them going 50-32 in the East whereas Amare/JJ gets you around .500. If you're winning 50 games already and are getting to the 2nd round without the guy....I'm not as down on overpaying for a FA. I would be down on adding Davis with just Amare/JJ; that takes you from .500 to like 47-35 or whatever.

Figured I should clarify that I percieve a big difference between Bosh/lee vs Amare/JJ (whether I am right or wrong is a seperate issue).
5/12/2010 4:25 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By deanod on 5/12/2010
Considering how long the team has sucked with Isiah fcking up and then Walsh cleaning up his mess in preparation for LeBron, it seems silly to continue the strategy with such a slim chance of building a championship caliber core through the draft
I definitely see where you're coming from and it strikes me as logical.

I guess after being scarred by Isiah...I'm really hesitant to go and overpay for a core that can lead us to a 1st round exit and be in the same boat in a few years.
5/12/2010 4:27 PM
I must say you do apparently value Bosh much more than I do.

In either of those groupings I think the Knicks are going to be in the 45-50 wins/lose in the 2nd round category.

I actually thikn the Knicks would have more wins with JJ than without since the Hawks would drop quite a bit without him. Of course he may leave anyways.

So the East would look like this

Orlando

Cleveland(If LBJ stays)

Knicks/Celtics/Bulls(pending them signing someone significant)

Hawks

While so many other factors come into play the Knicks dont look to change much in their standing relative to the rest of the East

However, should they not sign anyone out of the group weve mentioned then they easily drop to bottom 5 or worse.
5/12/2010 4:46 PM
I definitely dont see Bosh ever leading a team to a title. The Knicks would still need a lot more than just him and Lee.

Bosh strikes me more as somebody suited to the Pau Gasol role, extremely good #2 guy on a team. Right now I dont think his ego will allow that.
5/12/2010 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By ea162 on 5/12/2010
I definitely dont see Bosh ever leading a team to a title. The Knicks would still need a lot more than just him and Lee.

Bosh strikes me more as somebody suited to the Pau Gasol role, extremely good #2 guy on a team. Right now I dont think his ego will allow that.

Bosh isn't as good as Gasol. I mean seriously would Bosh in the west have gotten the crap that was the grizzlies to 50 wins and among the best defensive teams in the league.
5/12/2010 5:07 PM
i think they have different strengths for sure, but overall i think they both need someone else to be the alpha dog

you also got to remember, Pau never won a playoff game while in Memphis
5/12/2010 5:11 PM
I think Bosh can be the best player on a championship team but I think he needs to be paired with two top 25-30 players in order to do so. I don't consider Davis top 25-30 right now, but he's hit that top ten level (imho) a couple seasons - in the right situation, I think he can give you one or two strong last runs.
5/12/2010 5:13 PM
when the hell was Baron Davis ever a Top 10 player in the NBA?

I think pretty much any grouping of 3 of the Top 25-30 players will be title contenders, so saying Bosh could lead them doesnt mean much
5/12/2010 5:19 PM
Scratch that, I just saw his age....he's older than I thought. I was thinking of one of his GSW years (when they won close to 50 games).
5/12/2010 5:41 PM
since you think that a combination of 3 Top 30 players would put a team into title contention, whats the issue with getting 2 of those guys in this years free agency? especially with Curry's contract gone after this year so it can be used in a trade or the cap space could be used to entice another free agent in a year

or do you not view JJ/Amare/Boozer/Gay as Top 30 material?

I am assuming you view Lee/Bosh as Top 30
5/12/2010 6:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ea162 on 5/12/2010when the hell was Baron Davis ever a Top 10 player in the NBA?I think pretty much any grouping of 3 of the Top 25-30 players will be title contenders, so saying Bosh could lead them doesnt mean much

I don't believe this is true- the only example that comes close is the aberration Pistons which was rock solid 1-5.
5/12/2010 6:06 PM
for simplicity's sake lets use all-star status for this

has there ever been a team with 3 all-stars that was not competing for a title?

I think youre implying that you need someone in the Top 5 or maybe even Top 10 to win a title, which i dont disagree with, but having 3 of the Top 25-20 would give you a shot depending how everything else shakes out
5/12/2010 6:21 PM
If a team has 3 fringe top 25 guys and aren't contending, they aren't all going to make the all-star team. It's kind of a reverse causality.
5/12/2010 6:42 PM
And how about the Wiz with Arenas, Butler, and Jamison?

Arenas made it in 05/06/07

Butler made it in 07

Jamison made it in 05/08

They never topped 45 wins in that 4 year stretch.

I rest my case.
5/12/2010 6:45 PM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15|16 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.