Lostmyth2’s FAQ for Veteran HD Coaches Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Not sure if Lostmyth is still updating this, but I have a question regarding offense/defense IQ.

Is there any limit (i suppose like a 0-100 scale like the attributes) for IQ or is it more like prestige where you can have a wide range of A+ IQ's? So for example, will a red-shirt senior who is an A+ in whatever O/D set be much better than a regular senior with an A+ in that same O/D set all other things being equal (presume for the sake of argument that they had the same starting GPA and WE and playing time from the start of their freshman year)?

And if there is a difference between the different levels of "A+" IQ's, how much of a difference can there/will there be?

Also, once your player hits the A+ in an offense or defense, does he still continue to improve in that set at the same rate or is there some kind of diminishing returns? 
11/14/2011 2:10 PM
Does lostmyth have active teams?

IQ definitely works on a range like prestige, where you can have a low A+ or a high A+. 
11/15/2011 12:23 AM
I don't think he is active. I wish he was, because I think he had the longest winning streak in WIS history, and I want to find out how long it was because I am getting really close to it, I think. All I know is that he won back to back titles with undefeated seasons, so that was 70 games in a row, but I don't know how many games he won the next year before he lost. If I can win just one more game, my Palm Beach Atlantic team will have won back to back titles with undefeated seasons, which will give us 70 straight as well. If anyone happens to know what his streak ended up at, that would be awesome if you could post it.
11/15/2011 8:04 AM
Posted by notchflaw on 11/14/2011 2:10:00 PM (view original):
Not sure if Lostmyth is still updating this, but I have a question regarding offense/defense IQ.

Is there any limit (i suppose like a 0-100 scale like the attributes) for IQ or is it more like prestige where you can have a wide range of A+ IQ's? So for example, will a red-shirt senior who is an A+ in whatever O/D set be much better than a regular senior with an A+ in that same O/D set all other things being equal (presume for the sake of argument that they had the same starting GPA and WE and playing time from the start of their freshman year)?

And if there is a difference between the different levels of "A+" IQ's, how much of a difference can there/will there be?

Also, once your player hits the A+ in an offense or defense, does he still continue to improve in that set at the same rate or is there some kind of diminishing returns? 
as mentioned, its definitely a range. i believe that a+ is actually unbounded, but that is just my theory. never did a study to confirm.

not really sure about him improving at the same rate. obviously, going from a to a+ takes longer than a- to a, b- to b, so on and so on. so maybe his rate diminishes. i also believe, as i think most do, that the difference from a to a+  or b to b+ is bigger than c to c+ or d to d+. in general, i feel like the iq grades are somewhat misleading and all and all, players get better iq wise at about a constant rate throughout their career, which would suggest that yes, players continue to grow when they hit an a+ at the same rate they did. but i am not too confident in that theory.

i think most would agree once u hit a+, you keep getting better, at least for a while. not sure if that is clear from the above :)

11/21/2011 12:57 PM (edited)
Bump for those who don't know about lostmyth. Some of the info may be outdated but there is still a lot of great insight here.
8/1/2012 4:03 PM
Thanks Weena
8/1/2012 5:13 PM
Bumping this again. Whatever happened to Lostmyth?
8/13/2013 4:20 AM
Bumping this once more, as it's one of the most useful threads I've ever come across on the boards.
2/24/2014 12:58 AM
it was a pretty fantastic thread, it was really a big deal at the time, to have such a successful coach answer anything, even the few things nobody would share (value of d1 prestige, HV:CV). he even shared arguably the biggest secret in HD at the time, that you could tell who was likely to go pro from simple coach calls. many didn't even know you could from psych evals at $1500, and those who did felt it was prohibitive and confusing - but 5-10 coach calls and you usually got the same info. i actually never did figure out which of those damn psych eval responses lined up with the coach call stuff... but am positive the coach calls were reliable.

i think i disagreed with lostmyth on the hv:cv thing at the time, i rescind that disagreement. i still cant figure out where i might have went wrong many years ago, and a couple things (like the # of home visits it takes A range prestige schools to get very tight on WOTS) have changed that could be explained by a change in the value of home visits to balance hvs and cvs more sensibly, so i wonder if it changed... or if i was always wrong. no way to know now, it seems unlikely so many of the best coaches would have agreed on HV>CV without it being true, but seble also says he didn't change it. but i also don't think you can still get HVs rejected and not get your money back, which was the case at one point, and i never have been able to get any hints from anyone when that might have changed... so i don't know. long story short, i generally agree with lm's answer there.
2/24/2014 12:19 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 2/24/2014 12:19:00 PM (view original):
it was a pretty fantastic thread, it was really a big deal at the time, to have such a successful coach answer anything, even the few things nobody would share (value of d1 prestige, HV:CV). he even shared arguably the biggest secret in HD at the time, that you could tell who was likely to go pro from simple coach calls. many didn't even know you could from psych evals at $1500, and those who did felt it was prohibitive and confusing - but 5-10 coach calls and you usually got the same info. i actually never did figure out which of those damn psych eval responses lined up with the coach call stuff... but am positive the coach calls were reliable.

i think i disagreed with lostmyth on the hv:cv thing at the time, i rescind that disagreement. i still cant figure out where i might have went wrong many years ago, and a couple things (like the # of home visits it takes A range prestige schools to get very tight on WOTS) have changed that could be explained by a change in the value of home visits to balance hvs and cvs more sensibly, so i wonder if it changed... or if i was always wrong. no way to know now, it seems unlikely so many of the best coaches would have agreed on HV>CV without it being true, but seble also says he didn't change it. but i also don't think you can still get HVs rejected and not get your money back, which was the case at one point, and i never have been able to get any hints from anyone when that might have changed... so i don't know. long story short, i generally agree with lm's answer there.
This thread, combined with your WIS interview, were basically the whole reason I was able to go from a bad-to-below-average coach (puttering along about .500 or so) to a halfway decent one.
2/24/2014 12:26 PM
Posted by lostmyth2 on 2/22/2010 7:23:00 PM (view original):
Please read the post below in its entirety before asking a question.

This thread is pretty simple in its premise. You ask a question, and I will answer it to the best of my ability.

However, I will only answer the question as asked. I am not going to spend much time going off on tangents.

The following things will significantly increase the probability that your question is answered:

• it pertains to HD
  • it pertains to Division I
  • it has general value while still being specific*
  • it has a definitive answer (whether known or unknown)
  • it is posted in this thread

* i.e., no questions about specific teams

My answers will be about DI unless otherwise specified.

I'll post the name of the user asking the question, even if you have sent me the question via sitemail.

Also, just because I haven't provided an answer to your question yet does not mean I will not eventually answer it.

Good thread. Great stuff.
2/24/2014 4:13 PM
It really is. This one and Aejones' one on D2/D3 should be required reading for new coaches.
2/24/2014 4:29 PM
I guess this was his swan song...
2/24/2014 5:03 PM
He said he wasn't going to update again until May
2/25/2014 4:41 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9 Next ▸
Lostmyth2’s FAQ for Veteran HD Coaches Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.