Mauer deal done Topic

Mauer's current contract runs through this season - he's making as much for 2010 now as he would have without this extension.

But assuming that wasn't the case, risking losing Mauer to free agency to take a shot at signing John Lackey makes all kinds of sense... I'm pretty sure all the other #1's out there moved in trades, and even if the Twins can make one of those trades, I find the odds pretty slim that a Halladay or Lee is going to re-up in Minnesota without testing free agency.

Lacke was the best out there damn! I stand corrected.

I still think 23 for 8 is too much. I know a lot of long term deals work out well, but its the ones that don't that stick out in my head.

3/21/2010 9:12 PM
I think some folks are just giving the Minnie fans a nice little poke. Clearly a great signing.

#1 pitchers - hell, 30 teams have those. No team has a catcher at the level of Joe Mauer. To not have a dud in that spot in the lineup is enormous.

Of course, the third name on this list is terrifying...

Similar Batters through 26
View Player Links in Pop-up
Compare Stats to Similars

1. Bill Dickey (897) *
2. Yogi Berra (895) *
3. Jason Kendall (889)
3/21/2010 9:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kneeneighbor on 3/21/2010And Posada only did it twice, 28 and 30 while hitting .281 and .287. Mauer did it while winning the batting title.

And Mauer has eclipsed 20 HR's how many times exactly?

Clearly a lot of people think he is worth $23m. So does that mean Pujols is worth $30m, $40m?
3/21/2010 10:16 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
3/21/2010 10:23 PM
Wow. This thread is funny.

While 1/4 base runners thrown out isn't fantastic, he's far from a liability behind the plate. Plus, I guess the fact that he is the best hitter in the American League is a nice bonus.
3/21/2010 10:36 PM
The logic that its okay to pay a player a ton of money, because he's significantly better than other players at his position, is really poor. The math just doesn't work out on that one. Joe, though, would be significantly better than most OF/1B, but just not '23mil' better. The only thing that justifies blowing that kind of dough is the idea of him moving merchandise. People come to the ballpark to see Joe Mauer. They buy his jerseys etc... I would call this deal "fair", but certainly not a steal for the Twins.
3/21/2010 11:16 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By skonley on 3/21/2010 And he threw out roughly 1 of 4 base stealers, not exactly world beater numbers for a backstop.
You can't put huge stock into thrown out % as alot of it has to do with the pitchers, and he's been catching a very young staff.
3/21/2010 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By boogerlips on 3/21/2010The logic that its okay to pay a player a ton of money, because he's significantly better than other players at his position, is really poor. The math just doesn't work out on that one. Joe, though, would be significantly better than most OF/1B, but just not '23mil' better. The only thing that justifies blowing that kind of dough is the idea of him moving merchandise. People come to the ballpark to see Joe Mauer. They buy his jerseys etc... I would call this deal "fair", but certainly not a steal for the Twins.
Steal? I wouldn't coin it that way either. He's still young, has his prime ahead of him and Minnesota isn't exactly a free agent paradise.

Unequivically a 'good' deal though...
3/22/2010 12:04 AM
How can people argue that this is a bad deal? That's just laughable.
3/22/2010 12:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by skonley on 3/21/2010
Quote: Originally posted by kneeneighbor on 3/21/2010And Posada only did it twice, 28 and 30 while hitting .281 and .287. Mauer did it while winning the batting title.
And Mauer has eclipsed 20 HR's how many times exactly?

Clearly a lot of people think he is worth $23m. So does that mean Pujols is worth $30m, $40m?

Like Mauer, Pujols is worth whatever it takes for the Cardinals to keep him, whether that's $20mil/season or $30mil, etc.

People seem to forget baseball is a BUSINESS. I love the game, but at the professional level, there are also financial concerns that have to be weighed.

If keeping Mauer brings them an all-star catcher and brings in, say, $10mil+ per season in added revenue, it's more than worth it.

And guys like Mauer and Pujols, in their markets, will bring that many more fans to the park and that much more revenue to their teams.
3/22/2010 12:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by boogerlips on 3/21/2010The logic that its okay to pay a player a ton of money, because he's significantly better than other players at his position, is really poor. The math just doesn't work out on that one. Joe, though, would be significantly better than most OF/1B, but just not '23mil' better. The only thing that justifies blowing that kind of dough is the idea of him moving merchandise. People come to the ballpark to see Joe Mauer. They buy his jerseys etc... I would call this deal "fair", but certainly not a steal for the Twins.

can you show me that math analysis please?

fangraphs.com thinks the math does work.
3/22/2010 12:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 05nomar05 on 3/22/2010How can people argue that this is a bad deal?  That's just laughable. 

The guy is getting paid more than Pujols, at least for now. I just think paying $23m per year for a guy that never drove in or even scored a 100 runs and has 72 career homers in 3000 PA's is ludicrous.

That's my opinion, and obviously you have your opinion. But mine is better! LOL
3/22/2010 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By skonley on 3/22/2010

Quote: Originally posted by 05nomar05 on 3/22/2010
How can people argue that this is a bad deal? That's just laughable.

The guy is getting paid more than Pujols, at least for now. I just think paying $23m per year for a guy that never drove in or even scored a 100 runs and has 72 career homers in 3000 PA's is ludicrous.

That's my opinion, and obviously you have your opinion. But mine is better! LOL
He's 26 years old. He has been the face of baseball in Minnesota, where no high profile out of town free agent would ever sign, he has 3 batting titles (yes, 3 before his 27th birthday), and he is quite simply the best hitter in the American League.

Foolish to argue this contract.
3/22/2010 1:06 AM
Oh yeah, he is coming off a season WHERE HE WON THE MVP.
3/22/2010 1:07 AM
You can't be serious with that MVP comment. Do you want me to list all the shmucks who have won an MVP award? Pujols has won 3 MVPs, does that mean he should get 3 times the money?
3/22/2010 1:14 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...19 Next ▸
Mauer deal done Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.