Mauer deal done Topic

Teams could not be talking about anything on the record. That sounds like something Boras would say.
3/22/2010 3:37 PM
It is in the Jayson Stark article. Names were not mentioned but the numbers were.
3/22/2010 3:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by arvidjosef on 3/22/2010..I guess I made a little too much sense for skonley...

Sorry, but I do sleep sometime.
3/22/2010 4:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by arvidjosef on 3/22/2010God you're stupid. I'll humor you however.  You keep stating winning the MVP means very little, actually in the estimation of hundreds of baseball panelists more informed than you it means that said player was the best player in his respective league for that season.  Now then, were Pendleton, or even Kirk Gibson's MVP seasons anywhere near Mauer's season statistically?  I'll answer that for you, no.  You're simply ignoring the most important and relevent points made here such as his actual numbers (not Terry Pendleton's), his age and Minnesota's lot in baseball in general and simply posting dumb things.Yes, you're a fool.  Counter

What are you, 12 years old? Wahh, my opinion differs from yours.....so that means you are stupid.
3/22/2010 4:43 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
3/22/2010 4:45 PM
And the last thing I have for you is a bet concerning Babe Ru......I mean Joe Mauer. I'll bet you a 6-pack of WIS SLB teams that in 2010 Mauer will not maintain or exceed his numbers from last year in any of the 3 main categories - HR, RBI, AVG

Let me spell it out for you, because its obvious you're mentally challenged.

Mauer hits .365 or above, you win (regardless of HR's or RBI's).

Mauer hits 28 HR's or above, you win (regardless of AVG. or RBI's).

Mauer drives in 96 or more you win.(regardless of HR's or AVG).

If he fails in all 3 categories I win. Simple bet. Now I'll wait for your excuse on why you won't accept.
3/22/2010 4:51 PM
So success is based only on the Triple Crown categories? Someone can't hit for power without hitting homeruns?
3/22/2010 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By maddog162 on 3/22/2010So success is based only on the Triple Crown categories? Someone can't hit for power without hitting homeruns
no, success is not only based on triple crown numbers.

no, someone can't hit for power without hitting homeruns.

power hitters are homerun hitters, its not likely a power hitter will get many triples due to they are the big guys and do not run fast. Also not likely to hit 2 times as many doubles to make up for lack of homeruns.
3/22/2010 5:31 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By skonley on 3/22/2010
And the last thing I have for you is a bet concerning Babe Ru......I mean Joe Mauer. I'll bet you a 6-pack of WIS SLB teams that in 2010 Mauer will not maintain or exceed his numbers from last year in any of the 3 main categories - HR, RBI, AVG

Let me spell it out for you, because its obvious you're mentally challenged.

Mauer hits .365 or above, you win (regardless of HR's or RBI's).

Mauer hits 28 HR's or above, you win (regardless of AVG. or RBI's).

Mauer drives in 96 or more you win.(regardless of HR's or AVG).

If he fails in all 3 categories I win. Simple bet. Now I'll wait for your excuse on why you won't accept.
I will double down on that. No chance he matches those numbers outdoors.
3/22/2010 5:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maddog162 on 3/22/2010So success is based only on the Triple Crown categories? Someone can't hit for power without hitting homeruns?

Putting words in my mouth now? And I agree with soxfanjohn. As a rule a power hitter hits a significant number of homeruns.

In an earlier post my buddy Arvid claimed there is no reason to believe to Mauer's production will drop off. C'mon now, the 2nd highest paid player in the majors should be able to hit 28 HR's and knock in 96, right?
3/22/2010 5:35 PM
In Mattingly's heydays, '84-'87, would you have considered him a power hitter?
3/22/2010 5:51 PM
Here's why I ask:
Slugging %
1984 AL .537 (2nd)
1985 AL .567 (2nd)
1986 AL .573 (1st)
1987 AL .559 (7th)

Home Runs
1985 AL 35 (4th)
1986 AL 31 (6th)

His SLG% and rank look like power numbers. His homer numbers, not so much.
3/22/2010 5:55 PM
Honestly never considered Mattingly a power hitter, but those 85-86 seasons.....man, top ten in HR's in a tough HR era. I'll say this, for those couple of years Mattingly was more of a power hitter than Mauer is currently.
3/22/2010 6:03 PM
And without looking it up, he hit what .350 something and had 40-50 doubles to go with a buttload of RBI, nearly 150 one year if my memory serves me.
3/22/2010 6:05 PM
Yeah, he did. My point is he was right up there in slugging percent, definitely a power stat, but not so much in homers. Only cracked top 5 once. I think his double numbers were over 50 once and upper 40s the other 3 times.
3/22/2010 6:18 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...19 Next ▸
Mauer deal done Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.