Mauer deal done Topic

Wow, nearly $25m a year for a backstop with Ichiro-type numbers? The Twinkies screwed the pooch on that deal.
3/21/2010 6:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by skonley on 3/21/2010Wow, nearly $25m a year for a backstop with Ichiro-type numbers? The Twinkies screwed the pooch on that deal.
Huh?
3/21/2010 6:11 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
3/21/2010 6:22 PM
28 HR is huge for a catcher. He outperforms every other C in the big leagues by an enormous margin. And I don't see any reason to believe he won't be catching at 34.

He's also won 3 batting titles by age 26.

Ichiro is a borderline HOF, and his OPS+ is 118 for his career. Mauer's is 136. This is a great deal for the Twins.
3/21/2010 6:45 PM
We'll agree to disagree about him remaining a C. And 28 HR's for a C is not out of the ordinary (See Jorge Posada), hell Miguel Olivo hit over 20 and didn't play every day. $23m is what, 1/3 of their payroll? I just don't see paying that kind of money for a line-drive hitter like Mauer.
3/21/2010 7:35 PM
$23 mil is no longer 1/3 of their payroll. Unlike most teams they promised to increase spending when they got thier new stadium and are backing that promise up with deals for several players this spring.

And even if he catches for 5 years and then they move him he will go to third where he was excelent when he played there before.

What you do not understand as the Twins could not let him play for another team. It would have been a PR night mare after they got their staduim to let the home town kid walk away, especialy when everyone here thinks he is the son of christ.
3/21/2010 7:49 PM
And Posada only did it twice, 28 and 30 while hitting .281 and .287. Mauer did it while winning the batting title.
3/21/2010 7:51 PM
I think knee hit it on the head. Doesn't really matter now what Mauer does, what position he plays, etc. The Twins HAD to sign him, no matter what. Homegrown kid, fan favorite, and a terrific player at a position where there aren't that many. To let him go after building the new digs would be hari-kari, even with the loyal Twinkie fans.

3/21/2010 7:53 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By skonley on 3/21/2010
We'll agree to disagree about him remaining a C. And 28 HR's for a C is not out of the ordinary (See Jorge Posada), hell Miguel Olivo hit over 20 and didn't play every day. $23m is what, 1/3 of their payroll? I just don't see paying that kind of money for a line-drive hitter like Mauer.
After the Hudson signing, the Twins payroll was at $96 million...not exactly 1/3. And in the next few years that number is expected to head in the $120-$125 range. Yes its alot to pay one player, but even if he's only a catcher for 4 of those 8 years, its well worth it purely based on his offense. He led the league in average, on base and ops....those guys just don't grow on trees.

The Pohlads are one of the richest families in all of sports, and now that the sons are in control and there is a brand new ballpark, money will no longer be that great of an issue. Mauer is the face of the franchise, a home grown kid...even if you have to pay him $30 million, its just something you have to do. Just in ticket numbers/tv ratings with him on the team compared to him being somewhere else...and then jersey sales etc...he'll pay for quite a bit of that contract himself.
3/21/2010 8:00 PM
Considering the years under contract (26-34), the hitting ability and the position he plays, this deal seems very fair. Not to mention the fact that he's a local and hero in Minnesota. Nice work Twins.
3/21/2010 8:09 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By mfahie on 3/21/201028 HR is huge for a catcher. He outperforms every other C in the big leagues by an enormous margin. And I don't see any reason to believe he won't be catching at 34.

He's also won 3 batting titles by age 26.

Ichiro is a borderline HOF, and his OPS+ is 118 for his career. Mauer's is 136. This is a great deal for the Twins
Borderline Hall Of Famer? What is that just before they took the vote for his 1st year eligible in the hall?
3/21/2010 8:10 PM
I don't think he is worth 23 million a year except to the Twins for PR. He is a great player, but this year outdoors all year will be a big test. I am thinking a drop to a great average of .300 and 15-20 homers.

If I were the Twins, I would have told Mauer that we want him to play out the season and gone afterone of the Stud Pitchers that were out there. After this season at the new park with more revenue. You offer Mauer a good contract and you have a #1 pitcher.
3/21/2010 8:13 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By soxfanjohn on 3/21/2010

I don't think he is worth 23 million a year except to the Twins for PR. He is a great player, but this year outdoors all year will be a big test. I am thinking a drop to a great average of .300 and 15-20 homers.

If I were the Twins, I would have told Mauer that we want him to play out the season and gone afterone of the Stud Pitchers that were out there. After this season at the new park with more revenue. You offer Mauer a good contract and you have a #1 pitcher.

Mauer's current contract runs through this season - he's making as much for 2010 now as he would have without this extension.

But assuming that wasn't the case, risking losing Mauer to free agency to take a shot at signing John Lackey makes all kinds of sense... I'm pretty sure all the other #1's out there moved in trades, and even if the Twins can make one of those trades, I find the odds pretty slim that a Halladay or Lee is going to re-up in Minnesota without testing free agency.
3/21/2010 8:32 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
3/21/2010 8:40 PM
1|2|3...19 Next ▸
Mauer deal done Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.