Resigning coaches...9 Discipline? Topic

I'm trying to decide whether to rehire a minor-league Hitting coach who has an excellent Hitting IQ, a solid Patience rating, but who's terrible on the fundamentals...9 Discipline rating.

Since I have no idea how to gauge his effect on the players last year, I'm asking this question to the public. In AA, is a Hitting IQ rating that's top 10-15% of the league worth a terrible Discipline rating?
3/24/2010 6:03 PM
probably yes
3/24/2010 6:06 PM
Conversely,

Do average Hitting IQ and Patience, but excellent Discipline make a good hitting coach? One guy's looking for a promotion so I have two choices...
3/24/2010 7:01 PM
I think the conventional wisdom is that discipline doesn't matter very much. Conventional wisdom is often wrong, and I don't really know what's actually true, but I have not seen anyone present a compelling case that discipline makes a big difference, so I more or less ignore it.
3/24/2010 8:34 PM
Wow. I assumed that Discipline must be important...I mean, why create such an attribute? But this is good to know--thanks.
3/24/2010 10:03 PM
maybe a coach's patience and discipline rating relate to a player's patience, temper and/or makeup to form some modifier on how well a particular IQ is taught/learned...

Who knows, but it'd be interesting in that an 80 IQ hitting coach may teach a patient hitter using a modified IQ of 82 and an inpatient hitter at say 79.
3/25/2010 2:28 AM
RTFM.

From the Help:

- This is the coach's discipline rating. The higher the rating, the more focused he'll be on the fundamentals such as bunting, throwing strikes and hitting the cutoff man. Of course, this means he'll spend less time on some of the other important aspects of his role.

Do you play small ball? If not, go ahead and ignore the discipline rating in a hitting coach like the rest of us.
3/25/2010 7:57 AM
I learned a new acronym today. Thanks. Although I'm not sure that the vagaries of the manual are as informative as what vets who've played 20+ seasons would have to offer. I think we both know that the manual sometimes enlightens...and other times obscures...
3/27/2010 12:09 AM
firesign, who runs the MLB world blog (among others) has opined that a veteran team benefits more from a high discipline rating than they do from a high patience rating.

My limited observation of coaching validates this POV; my "veteran" teams have performed better with high discipline coaching than with high patience ratings, whereas my "young" teams definitely need patience.

That said, it's a small, small factor and is really dependent on the players...so is it measurable? Not really.
3/27/2010 8:37 AM
With a coach with a discipline rating that low, you are bound to end up with girls in the players rooms, players ignoring curfew, excess drug and alcohol use, and numerous bar brawls. Y'know.. like in real life.
3/28/2010 8:12 PM
Posted by soxfan121 on 3/27/2010 8:37:00 AM (view original):
firesign, who runs the MLB world blog (among others) has opined that a veteran team benefits more from a high discipline rating than they do from a high patience rating.

My limited observation of coaching validates this POV; my "veteran" teams have performed better with high discipline coaching than with high patience ratings, whereas my "young" teams definitely need patience.

That said, it's a small, small factor and is really dependent on the players...so is it measurable? Not really.
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have a question: this implies that ML Bench coaches have an in-game affect on team performance (rather than solely on player development). Is this a widely accepted view?
5/5/2017 9:11 AM
My understanding was that coaches only affect development.
5/5/2017 10:33 AM
Put your studs, no matter their age, in AAA so they develop under the highest rated coaches. I try and avoid super low PAT/DISC in my AAA coaches but always prioritize their main rating. Then you don't have to worry about AA and under.
5/5/2017 11:57 AM
Posted by opie100 on 5/5/2017 9:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by soxfan121 on 3/27/2010 8:37:00 AM (view original):

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have a question: this implies that ML Bench coaches have an in-game affect on team performance (rather than solely on player development). Is this a widely accepted view?
I didn't think bench coaches had anything to do with development. Just what happens in game. Therefore the BL bench coach is the only one that matters and even then, most of the time the differences are small.
5/5/2017 12:47 PM
nobody knows. Having it must be greater than not having it, right? Bunting is cool I guess. Batter's eye and contact seem more important. But are Eye and Contact functions of IQ or of discipline or of both? Literally nobody knows. Seems like one of those things where because it exists, it can't be bad
5/5/2017 2:06 PM
12 Next ▸
Resigning coaches...9 Discipline? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.