The best band of all time Topic

am digging bishop allen these days
4/2/2010 6:07 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By The Taint on 4/02/2010

Quote: Originally posted by bklynborn on 3/31/2010

The true talent from that band(Nirvana) sat behind the kit for them/fronts the Foo Fighters/sits behind the kit for Them Crooked Vultures.

Yeah, Grohl is good, but don't be a tard.
Sorry, Taint.....hard to argue for someone who put a shotgun to his face because of his 'angst' and 'torment' vs. someone who plays 2 instruments(still) and can branch out into other projects(whilst managing to keep himself out of asylums or rehabs)

After they(Nirvana) got huge(and they did get bigger than the Foo's or TCV will ever get)he wanted to be martyred like Morrison was. Poor, successful me - noone understands me......boo-f*cking-hoo!

The more talented of the two still walks this earth
4/2/2010 6:17 AM
eh, i doubt we can say the guy wanted to be martyred or anything.

just a terribly unhappy guy. my guess would be drugs had alot to do with it. he wasn't exactly surrounded by mensa members either to help pull him out or notice his funk for what it was (he married courtney love??). you can never get inside the head of someone who blows himself away, leave it alone.

i have always thought the genius label for him was a bit dubious though..he made good music CLOSED
4/2/2010 6:22 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By The Taint on 4/02/2010Bell on door clangs, come on in
Floyd observes my hairy chin
Sit down chair don't be afraid
Steamed hot towel on my face

I was Shaved
I was Shaved
I was Shaved

Barney ties me to the chair
I can't see I'm really scared
Floyd breathes hard I hear a zip
Pee pee pressed against my lips

I'm ashamed
I'm ashamed
I'm ashamed

I sense others in the room
Opey, Aunt Bee, I presume
They take turns and cut me up
I died smothered in Andy's butt.

I was Shamed
I was Shamed
I was Shamed

This takes talent.

BTW, I have the entire Nirvana catalog, and agree it is crucial music to our era......but c'mon - they were an overblown, over-glorified punk band, who when they got to be global superstars & media darlings, had their leader crumble to 'the pressure'
4/2/2010 6:22 AM
i like grohl alot. i enjoy his personality waaay more than cobain's.

but the driving force of the best album between foo and nirvana, imo "unplugged", was all kurt.

c'mon now....
4/2/2010 6:23 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By arvidjosef on 4/02/2010

eh, i doubt we can say the guy wanted to be martyred or anything.

just a terribly unhappy guy. my guess would be drugs had alot to do with it. he wasn't exactly surrounded by mensa members either to help pull him out or notice his funk for what it was (he married courtney love??). you can never get inside the head of someone who blows himself away, leave it alone.

i have always thought the genius label for him was a bit dubious..he made good music CLOSED

So...what...? He had no other viable way out?? So this 'driving force' needed help. He sought after it - he was in Hazelden, etc. - obviously it was more than drugs/alcohol. He had the resources($$) to go for any psychological/psychiatric help necessary, as well. A shotgun shouldn't have been the answer.

I'm sorry if my discussion brought me a bit off topic, but when it comes to this subject(Nirvana/Cobain) I have very strong opinions.

I am not, in any way, saying that Nirvana wasn't terribly influential, or talented. But it has become quite evident, since Kurdt's death, that he wasn't the "be all, end all" in the band, as everyone seems to think.

4/2/2010 6:32 AM

but the driving force of the best album between foo and nirvana, imo "unplugged", was all kurt.

c'mon now....

...and the best, most refreshing stuff were the cover tunes. All Kurdt, huh?

4/2/2010 6:39 AM
My point was you're noone to trivialize or even have on opinion on why the guy killed himself or why should not have.

Whatever the motivation, someone in his position who kills himself, trivial humor and joking w/friends aside(not like in this thread, I made plenty Wendy O jokes w/friends), deserves empathy. Seriously, think about that for a minute- you didn't walk in that guys shoes dude. BUT if you WANT TO DIE, whatever the motivation/reason, it is sad. You gotta be pretty hard boiled to get to that point bro....forget about "viable" options or ways out...
4/2/2010 6:40 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By bklynborn on 4/02/2010

c'mon now....

...and the best, most refreshing stuff were the cover tunes.

the covers were good, no doubt. leadbelly, meat puppets (loooove lake of fire), bowie. i mean every track on that album is good
4/2/2010 6:41 AM
My point was you're noone to trivialize or even have on opinion on why the guy killed himself or why should not have.

Whatever the motivation, someone in his position who kills himself, trivial humor and joking w/friends aside(not like in this thread, I made plenty Wendy O jokes w/friends), deserves empathy. Seriously, think about that for a minute- you didn't walk in that guys shoes dude. BUT if you WANT TO DIE, whatever the motivation/reason, it is sad. You gotta be pretty hard boiled to get to that point bro....forget about "viable" options or ways out...

end of discussion, I guess....I'm not allowed to have an opinion.

Nice talkin to ya, arvid
4/2/2010 6:42 AM

c'mon now....

...and the best, most refreshing stuff were the cover tunes. All Kurdt, huh?

um

yes

kurt sang them and played the guitar

kurt ruled all over that great album.

i give a rats *** who wrote what
4/2/2010 6:42 AM

end of discussion, I guess....I'm not allowed to have an opinion.

Nice talkin to ya, arvid
cool w/me
4/2/2010 6:43 AM
it would be
4/2/2010 6:45 AM
Seriously

You're stating WHY THE DUDE BLEW HIS HEAD OFF in a post to knock him

Like you would even have an inkling as to why he did what he did? you sound ridiculous posting that is all....
4/2/2010 6:46 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By bklynborn on 4/02/2010it would b
heh

IT IS!
4/2/2010 6:47 AM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16|17...19 Next ▸
The best band of all time Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.