Hockey Dynasty Status Update Topic

Anyone who has signed up for hockey since last Thursday and didn't get a survey should get one today.

So far, GM functions is in the lead with 42%, followed by Players with 22%, so it looks like we'll be discussing those first.

Thanks guys, keep them coming!
4/5/2010 12:00 PM
The GM functions etc are likely the most complicated part of this style of game. There is just SO much to them... trades, player contracts, developing prospects, draft, budgeting, coaches, Disable Lists, waivers...... etc For those of us who do have HBD teams, we tell you being the GM never stops even during the actual season (just slows down then).

There is one part of HBD I do enjoy but not sure how you would bring it into a Hockey Dynasty. In Baseball, the draft is only for U.S & Canada college & high school players. Prospects from other countries are International Free Agents (IFAs). It's matter of your scouts finding them and then it's a bidding war. In HBD it's impossible to see them all, so not everyone sees a particular IFA. But you don't know how many other owners see him OR which of the others see him etc.

In Hockey, the draft isn't limited to just North American prospects! So if you followed the NHL there wouldn't be any of this. Maybe there could be a way to bring this kind of thing into Hockey Dynasty? Any ideas?

4/7/2010 2:37 PM
We should have 3 draft scouting department, high school, junior and international. I think free agant like Gustavsonn in Toronto will go into the FA pool.
4/7/2010 2:51 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By hockey1984 on 4/05/2010
With most of the progressive and regressive leagues I was in you were never allowed to trade draft picks more then 3 years in advance which I agree with and I don't think you should be able to have less then lets say 3 draft picks in a given year to make sure a person doesn't cause a team to tank for a shot at the cup. It would take a bit more programing (but we are worth it right mike?) that if you have purchased X number of seasons you would be able to trade away more of your draft picks. For example, lets say I have 5 seasons purchased I could trade draft picks up to 5 seasons away because I know that I'm stuck with that team regardless of what happens.

Ps - I didn't get a survey.

Pps- I really miss progressive and regressive leagues. Sadly this is the wrong time of the year to be missing them as I'm probabally heading up to Thunder bay in a month but I'll probabally join a prog or reg league come september. I'm hoping I can join this as well when it rolls around.

Plant those trees!

Really, if you want to learn a lesson from HBD about protecting owners from themselves, it's this;

Have three league levels. Rookie, friendly, and competitive.

Rookie - open leagues. put in as many "protect the owner from themselves" rules as possible - no trading of draft picks, a lower trade veto count, pop ups that say "Are you sure? Are you sure?" after every transaction.

Friendly - built in protection not as severe as rookie, but enough that if someone decides to be an ***, it will take no more than 2 seasons to undo the damage.

Competitive - let 'er rip. No restrictions. But, a vote capacity to eject an owner based on league vote.
4/7/2010 3:00 PM
I should point out..."No restrictions" means as close to NHL rules and the way NHL franchises run as possible.

Which means, after 4 seasons, the commish should be trolling the fraud courts for a new owner. Just to keep the realism alive.
4/7/2010 3:03 PM
Naturally this would mean no team would ever be allowed to be located in Hamilton, correct?
4/7/2010 3:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aginor on 4/07/2010The GM functions etc are likely the most complicated part of this style of game.  There is just SO much to them... trades, player contracts, developing prospects, draft, budgeting, coaches, Disable Lists, waivers......  etc   For those of us who do have HBD teams, we tell you being the GM never stops even during the actual season (just slows down then). There is one part of HBD I do enjoy but not sure how you would bring it into a Hockey Dynasty.  In Baseball, the draft is only for U.S and Canada college and high school players.  Prospects from other countries are International Free Agents (IFAs).  It's matter of your scouts finding them and then it's a bidding war.  In HBD it's impossible to see them all, so not everyone sees a particular IFA. But you don't know how many other owners see him OR which of the others see him etc.  In Hockey, the draft isn't limited to just North American prospects! So if you followed the NHL there wouldn't be any of this.  Maybe there could be a way to bring this kind of thing into Hockey Dynasty?  Any ideas? 

Undrafted free agents. I see it all the time at the end of the NCAA season. Kid who's a little older, was never drafted, and blossomed in college. Many graduating seniors were never drafted and sign pro contracts as soon as the college season ended (my alma mater has had 6 graduating seniors sign pro contracts in the past 3 weeks). You also get the ones who leave school after their junior year (or even sophomore or freshman).

Plus, hockey is different where you can draft a kid, and he decides to go to college. You own his rights until he graduates. I'd like to see if we can incorporate that somehow. You draft a kid, but don't actually sign him for a season or 2, or even 3 or 4. (Again, my alma mater has a kid drafted by Chicago in 2006 - he hasn't decided yet to sign with them or become a free agent this summer).
4/7/2010 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By cpetsche on 4/07/2010Naturally this would mean no team would ever be allowed to be located in Hamilton, correct
Correct, although someone would post in the league forum that he'd take the Pittsburgh team, then try to force it there.
4/7/2010 3:32 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By deathinahole on 4/07/2010
Plant those trees!

Really, if you want to learn a lesson from HBD about protecting owners from themselves, it's this;

Rookie - open leagues. put in as many "protect the owner from themselves" rules as possible - no trading of draft picks, a lower trade veto count, pop ups that say "Are you sure? Are you sure?" after every transaction.

Friendly - built in protection not as severe as rookie, but enough that if someone decides to be an ***, it will take no more than 2 seasons to undo the damage.

Competitive - let 'er rip. No restrictions. But, a vote capacity to eject an owner based on league vote.

That is an awesome idea!
4/7/2010 5:03 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By deathinahole on 4/07/2010
Quote: Originally Posted By hockey1984 on 4/05/2010

With most of the progressive and regressive leagues I was in you were never allowed to trade draft picks more then 3 years in advance which I agree with and I don't think you should be able to have less then lets say 3 draft picks in a given year to make sure a person doesn't cause a team to tank for a shot at the cup. It would take a bit more programing (but we are worth it right mike?) that if you have purchased X number of seasons you would be able to trade away more of your draft picks. For example, lets say I have 5 seasons purchased I could trade draft picks up to 5 seasons away because I know that I'm stuck with that team regardless of what happens.

Ps - I didn't get a survey.

Pps- I really miss progressive and regressive leagues. Sadly this is the wrong time of the year to be missing them as I'm probabally heading up to Thunder bay in a month but I'll probabally join a prog or reg league come september. I'm hoping I can join this as well when it rolls around.

Plant those trees!

I haven't planted trees in about 3 years now. I'm a fisheries biologist. I just accepted a job in Toronto too rather then returning to Thunder Bay. My mailbox is open for the potential addition to a prog/reg league. Nothing too confusing please.
4/11/2010 3:59 PM
Kids, they grow up so quick.
4/13/2010 12:08 PM
Any news?
4/19/2010 12:44 PM
Please?

I have a St. Patrick's Day countdown I stole from a bar, and I want to reset it for the release of this game......
4/22/2010 12:25 PM
is-it dead?
5/4/2010 8:22 AM
I hope not.. this would instantly become my favorite game on this site.
5/7/2010 2:42 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...16 Next ▸
Hockey Dynasty Status Update Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.