Hockey Dynasty Status Update Topic

damag,what about us bipolar(manic types),it's not always about ocd.
5/7/2010 9:38 AM
Baloney....$5.99 per LBS.
5/15/2010 9:50 AM
CHEAP....
5/19/2010 10:09 AM
Woo Hoo! It's about time...
5/20/2010 9:32 PM
With the recent announcement of a chance for some work to progress on HOCKEY DYNASTY, I decided to put down some ideas for consideration that I have been kicking around for awhile. The way I see it, they have the option of doing it one of two ways. They can either choose to use fake teams (ala HBD) or real teams (like GD and HD). While I understand that HBD is a more involved game and people tend to like that better, I don’t see why they can’t take the best of both. I do NOT want them to use fake teams! I play GD exclusively because I like the idea of running a real team. I like baseball much better than football. I play baseball, and the only time I watch football is during the Super Bowl, and that is mainly for the commercials anyway. I have played SIM Baseball and have never played SIM Football. But I play GD because I want to lead a REAL team, not some made up team that means nothing. That being said, my ideas are based solely on using real teams.

If you use real teams, you again have two options. You can use professional teams or you can use college teams.I will cover both ideas here.I honestly have no preference either way; I would love to try to take the Hershey Bears to a Calder Cup, but I would also love to try to take Army (my alma mater) and win the Frozen Four.

PROs:

The first decision you have for pro teams is how you want to arrange the league. Do you want an HBD style league where an owner controls multiple teams at different levels? Or do you want an owner to control one team and have to work his way up thru the levels, like GD and HD.

For the first option (HBD option), you would have to include all 30 NHL teams. This would require a small adjustment to the Hockey engine to accommodate the extra six teams. You would probably have to adjust to three divisions per Conference with five teams in each division. This would, of course, mirror the NHL. If we choose this option, then we would naturally have 30 teams with a team in each of three leagues. Below is the list of the 30 teams with their minor league affiliates. Obviously, I have had to make some adjustments, since the AHL only has 29 teams, and the ECHL only has 20 teams. Since I had to find a single team for Anaheim for their AHL affiliate, I simply added the Charlestown Chiefs. It is quite possible that by the time WIS gets this game going, Anaheim may have their own AHL team, so we can simply replace that team if that happens. For the third tier, I had to do some work, since a lot of those teams have affiliations with more than one team or no team at all. Most others are IHL or CHL (Central HL) teams (some of which have actual affiliations). The others are just natural fits due to location or team name. The only exception is Toronto’s third tier. I could not purposely choose a team like the Texas Brahmas for a Toronto affiliate. So I chose a natural fit with Brampton because of the location (and the fact that I have actually been to a Battalion game). If true Toronto fans want to argue for another team (Mississauga, etc), feel free.

Anaheim Ducks – Charlestown Chiefs - Bakersfield Condors

Atlanta Thrashers - Chicago Wolves – Gwinnett Gladiators

Boston Bruins - Providence Bruins – Reading Royals

Buffalo Sabres - Portland Pirates - Port Huron Icehawks

Calgary Flames - Abbotsford Heat - Utah Grizzlies

Carolina Hurricanes - Albany River Rats - Wichita Thunder

Chicago Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs - Toledo Walleye

Colorado Avalanche - Lake Erie Monsters - Charlotte Checkers

Columbus Blue Jackets - Syracuse Crunch - Dayton Gems

Dallas Stars - Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads

Detroit Red Wings - Grand Rapids Griffins - Muskegon Lumberjacks

Edmonton Oilers - Springfield Falcons - Stockton Thunder

Florida Panthers - Rochester Americans - Florida Everblades

Los Angeles Kings - Manchester Monarchs - Ontario Reign

Minnesota Wild - Houston Aeros - Johnstown Chiefs

Montreal Canadiens - Hamilton Bulldogs - Cincinnati Cyclones

Nashville Predators - Milwaukee Admirals - Corpus Christi IceRays

New Jersey Devils - Lowell Devils - Trenton Devils

New York Islanders - Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Odessa Jackalopes

New York Rangers - Hartford Wolf Pack - Mississippi RiverKings

Ottawa Senators - Binghamton Senators - Elmira Jackals

Philadelphia Flyers - Adirondack Phantoms - Quad City Mallards

Phoenix Coyotes - San Antonio Rampage - Las Vegas Wranglers

Pittsburgh Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins- Wheeling Nailers

San Jose Sharks - Worcester Sharks - Kalamazoo Wings

St. Louis Blues - Peoria Rivermen - Alaska Aces

Tampa Bay Lightning - Norfolk Admirals - Colorado Eagles

Toronto Maple Leafs - Toronto Marlies - Brampton Battalion

Vancouver Canucks - Manitoba Moose - Victoria Salmon Kings

Washington Capitals - Hershey Bears - South Carolina Stingrays

If you, instead, choose the option of owning one team and working your way up through the levels (ala GD and HD), then you have 30 NHL teams, 29/30 AHL teams, and 60 CHL (Canadian HL) teams. This would make more logical organization and less team affiliation decisions. However, I think it is more a matter of which type of system you decide to use. I like the idea of using CHL teams, but I think I like the idea of a HBD-like system better. What are you opinions?

Using the PRO system would require a bit of adjustment to the SIM engine organization. But the playoff format would be pretty much the same. Whether you have two or three divisions, you still take the Top 8 teams to the playoffs.
5/22/2010 8:24 PM
COLLEGE HOCKEY ---

If we base HOCKEY DYNASTY on the college system, there would also be a few small changes needed for the SIM Hockey engine. First, the 5-team-Division/30-team-Conferences also make the most sense. Second, the playoffs would have to be modified a bit to accommodate a Frozen Four tournament. WIS can decide whether they want to go to a single-game playoff format (as in real college hockey) or the more fan favorable multi-game format (as in the pros). Since the current engine uses a multi-game format, that would probably be easier, and I am sure most users would prefer that. They can reduce the number of games to 5 or 3, but I think that would be preferable to single-game playoffs. At the very least, all Final Four playoffs should be a minimum of three-game series.

Since there are really only two Divisions in college hockey, we would be limited to two tiers. GD has four tiers. I don’t know about HD. But with a total of 132 teams, I think that would be OK. You would just have to start more worlds if you had as many players as GD.

Division I:

There are 58 Division I hockey teams. I would propose to add two Div II schools to the list and create two 30-team leagues. You still take the Top 8 teams overall in each conference for the playoffs. You take the conference champions from each of the four conferences, and you have four teams for the Frozen Four tournament to determine the Div I Champion.

The divisional breakdowns are actually quite accurate. I looked up every school on Mapquest to get its location, so you know that the teams in the West division are further West than the teams in the East division, etc. In Div I, the only major conflict was taking Alaska, Clarkson, and RPI out of their Conferences. But some adjustments were necessary to create 5-team divisions. I did not deal with Elites because (besides the fact I do not care for that element in the game) too many of the schools that would be considered for Elitism are in the same conferences and divisions. No matter if they considered six Elite teams (Boston U, Denver, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin have at least five NCs) or ten Elite teams (Boston College, Lake Superior, Michigan St., Michigan Tech have at least three NCs), major reorganization to the conferences and divisions would be needed to even out recruiting and game play.

(And before someone with too much time on their hands comes on here and tells me that the CHA is disbanding after this season, and the NE-10 is a Div II conference -- I know. But until Div I creates some new conferences, we have to deal with what we have.)

I am not imaginative enough to come up with decent names for the two Div I leagues, but I am sure someone in these Forums can propose something that would work. At first, I was going to name one the Herb Brooks League. However, I thought his name should be saved for the first WORLD to be created in HOCKEY DYNASTY.

LEAGUE RED

Atlantic Hockey EastAtlantic Hockey West

Bentley, Waltham, Mass.Air Force, Colorado Springs, CO

Holy Cross, Worcester, Mass.Mercyhurst, Erie, Pa.

Sacred Heart, Fairfield, Conn.RIT, Rochester, N.Y.

Connecticut, Storrs, Conn.Canisius, Buffalo, N.Y.

American Int'l, Springfield, Mass.Army, West Point, N.Y.

Hockey East NorthHockey East South

Maine, Orono, MaineMass.-Lowell, Lowell, Mass.

New Hampshire, Durham, N.H.Massachusetts, Amherst, Mass.

Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Mass.Boston University, Boston, Mass.

Vermont, Burlington, Vt.Northeastern, Boston, MA

Merrimack, North Andover, Mass.Providence, Providence, R.I.

WCHA West WCHA East

Denver, Denver COMinnesota-Duluth, Duluth, Minn.

Colorado College, Colorado Springs, COSt. Cloud State, St. Cloud, Minn.

Minnesota State, Mankato, Minn.Wisconsin, Madison, Wis.

North Dakota, Grand Forks, N.D.Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN

Alaska-Anchorage, Anchorage, AlaskaMichigan Tech, Houghton, Mich.

LEAGUE BLUE

CCHA NorthCCHA South

Michigan State, East Lansing, Mich.Western Michigan, Kalamazoo, Mich.

Ferris State, Big Rapids, Mich.Miami, Oxford, Ohio

Lake Superior, Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.Notre Dame, South Bend, Ind.

Northern Michigan, Marquette, Mich.Bowling Green, Bowling Green, Ohio

Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.Ohio State, Columbus, Ohio

CHA NE-10

Bemidji State, Bemidji, Minn.So. New Hampshire, Manchester, N.H.

Robert Morris, Moon Township, Pa.Assumption, Worcester, Mass

Alabama-Huntsville, Huntsville, Ala.Alaska, Fairbanks, Alaska

Niagara, Niagara Falls, N.Y.RPI, Troy, N.Y.

Nebraska-Omaha, Omaha, Neb.Clarkson, Potsdam, N.Y.

ECAC Hockey WestECAC Hockey East

Cornell, Ithaca, N.Y.Quinnipiac, Hamden, Conn.

Union, Schenectady, N.Y.Yale, New Haven, Conn.

Colgate, Hamilton, N.Y.Brown, Providence, R.I.

St. Lawrence, Canton, N.Y.Harvard, Cambridge, Mass.
Princeton, Princeton, N.J.Dartmouth, Hanover, N.H.
Division III:

Division III organization can be easily done, if they want to play with the playoff format a bit. There are 72 teams in NCAA Div III hockey, so that can easily be grouped into three 24-team leagues. If you have a regular playoff in each league to come up with a league champion, you can then pick the one (of three) team that lost their league championship but had the most points in the regular season (you can create other tie breakers) to come up with four teams. These four teams would go to the Frozen Four to find the DIVISION III Champion.

Below is a proposed organization for the three leagues broken into four-team divisions. This would make the organization very suitable to the current SIM hockey engine. I obviously played around with the real organizations a little, but hey, we all know Notre Dame is not in the Big Ten. My apologies to any grads of schools like Amherst. I know I have a couple Div II schools in here (I believe its only two) at the expense of some DIII schools.

East Coast League:

ECAC NortheastECAC Mass West

Southern Maine, Portland, MEBabson, Wellesley, MA

St. Anselm, Manchester, N.H.Becker, Worcester, MA

New England College, Henniker, N.H.Nichols, Dudley, MA

Univ of New England, Biddeford, MEWestern NE College, Springfield, MA

ECAC NorthECAC West

Skidmore, Saratoga Springs, N.Y.Elmira, Elmira, NY

Norwich, Northfield, Vt.Manhattanville, Purchase, N.Y.

St. Michael's, Colchester, Vt.Hobart, Geneva, N.Y.

Castleton, Castleton,VTUtica, Utica, NY

ECAC Mass EastECAC South

Curry, Milton, MASalve Regina, Newport, R.I.

UMass-Boston, Boston, MAJohnson and Wales, Providence, R.I.

Wentworth, Boston, MANeumann, Aston, Pa

Suffolk, Boston, MALebanon Valley, Annville, Pa

Northeastern League:

MASCAC WestMASCAC East

Worcester State, Worcester, MATufts, Boston, MA

Westfield State, Westfield, MASalem State, Salem, MA

Fitchburg State, Fitchburg, MAMass-Dartmouth, North Dartmouth, MA

Williams, Williamstown, MAFramingham State, Framingham, MA

NESCAC NorthNESCAC South

Plymouth State, Plymouth, N.H.Trinity, Hartford, Conn.

Bowdoin, Brunswick, MaineHamilton, Clinton, N.Y.

Colby, Waterville, MaineConn. College, New London, Conn.

Middlebury, Middlebury, VtWesleyan, Middletown, Conn

SUNYAC WestSuNYAC East

Oswego, Oswego, NYPlattsburgh, Plattsburgh NY

Brockport, Brokport NYPotsdam, Potsdam NY

Geneseo, Geneseo NYMorrisville, Morrisville NY

Buffalo State, Buffalo NYCortland, Cortland NY

CENTRAL League:

MIAC WestMIAC East

St. John's, Collegeville, MinnBethel, St. Paul, Minn.

Concordia MN, Moorhead, Minn.Hamline, St. Paul, Minn.

Gustavus Adolphus, Saint Peter, Minn.Augsburg, Minneapolis

St. Olaf, Northfield, MinnSt. Thomas, St. Paul, Minn.

MCHA WestMCHA East

Lawrence, Appleton, Wis.Milwaukee - Engineering, WI

Marian, Fond du Lac, Wis.Adrian, Adrian, Mich.

Northland, Ashland, Wis.Lake Forest, Lake Forest, Ill.

Concordia WI, Mequon, Wis.Finlandia, Hancock, MI

NCHA WestNCHA East

St. Mary's, Winona, Minn.St. Norbert, De Pere, Wis.

Wis.-River Falls, River Falls, Wis.Wis.-Stevens Point, Stevens Point, Wis.

Wis.-Stout, Menomonie, Wis.Wis.-Eau Claire, Eau Claire, Wis.

St. Scholastica, Duluth, Minn.Wis.-Superior, Superior, Wis.

The college option would have a number of nuances that GD also has. You would have few schools like Alaska, Ala-Huntsville, Air Force, and others that would have recruiting disadvantages (or maybe advantages) depending on how they do recruitment distribution.

5/22/2010 8:25 PM
5/22/2010 8:25 PM
if it ends up being like GD or HD, i won't bother playing it. i gave up on both because you develop a player for three or four years, and then they're gone. also, the better teams get to recruit easier, which seems unfair to me, regardless of how realistic it is.

i want to be able to develop a franchise player in my minor league system and watch them play a ten or fifteen year career (or twenty-six year) with my franchise before thinking about retiring and then see them enter the HOF with my team's jersey on. HBD is the best game on the site, and the hockey simleague is the second best. put the two together and it's a recipe for a masterpiece. :>
5/24/2010 12:12 PM
I would prefer the Pro option.
5/24/2010 8:45 PM
The one idea I had was:

In baseball your Home Field plays a HUGE factor in how you put your team together (Pitcher's Park, Hitter's .... ies.....)

In Hockey, all the ice surfaces are the same size...if you use the game sim engine..all the team will end looking the same because...No different that SLH. BUT what the Coach played a big factor in how the team plays? I'm not performance but the 'style'. Not unrealistic, present NHL coaches all have a somewhat unique approach to the game.. stress Defence, Puck control style etc etc

Thing is you want there to be more than 1 way to win....
6/2/2010 5:23 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...16 Next ▸
Hockey Dynasty Status Update Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.