WHA Teams & Players Topic

i'd like to see the WHA players. the more players, the merrier.

i'd also like to be informed somehow when questions like this come up. i don't visit the forums very often, so i didn't notice this thread until two weeks later, and that was just by randomly deciding i had a minute or two to check the forums. there really should be a reference to threads like this in the league forums so everyone can get a say. or else a sitemail list that we can sign up for so that every time something like this comes up in the SLH, we get a message informing us. :>
4/20/2010 6:05 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By the_jsa on 4/20/2010

I like the idea of an "expert panel" deciding on what a player's defensive rating should be.

That may be an idealogically objectional opinion to those who believe that statistics should be the only data used in the sim engine.

You're absolutely correct, this statement actually made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

I like the rest of your analysis though, because it represents the development of a formula.

And then maybe when the formula is done the name of the rating it represents should be changed to something more accurate than "Defensive".

4/20/2010 6:22 PM
I don't think I'm comfortable with the notion of adding WHA players. I'm not old enough to have any kind of nostalgia for what was essentially a crummy minor league with a handful of stars. If we took Mike Richards and Martin St. Louis and dropped them into the ECHL, they'd score 70 goals too... but that doesn't mean we need 20 seasons from the Ferraro twins in the database. I think it would be complete gibberish.

But then again, so are the golden seasons of Malone, Dye, et al.

Funny how this thread turned into something completely different, though. I too would love to see team influence lessened and PIMs thrown out of the DEF equation entirely.
4/21/2010 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By yogsloth on 4/21/2010

I too would love to see team influence lessened and PIMs thrown out of the DEF equation entirely.

Yay!

In regards to my ideas to measure defensive ability from a few posts ago, I read today an article in the paper about the 3 Selke finalists. The article made reference to "Take-aways" as a statistic (Datsyuk led the league with 132, Kessler was second with 83, fyi). (I had never heard of this hockey stat before)

I think Take-aways would be a great stat to crunch into the Def formula.

For players with enough data (and I don't know how many FO's that would be), I think Face Off Win % is also a piece of a player' s value defensively. ( I don't know why I didn't think of this in the previous list I started.)
4/21/2010 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By the_jsa on 4/18/2010

In terms of the Salming/Turnbull example, I think it is safe to say that they were out against top opposing players.
This expert panel watched him put it on the tape of the opposing team so often that I wondered if he was colour blind.
4/22/2010 9:59 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By deathinahole on 4/22/2010
Quote: Originally Posted By the_jsa on 4/18/2010

In terms of the Salming/Turnbull example, I think it is safe to say that they were out against top opposing players.
This expert panel watched him put it on the tape of the opposing team so often that I wondered if he was colour blind.
Midway through the 1980-81 season, Joe Crozier was leading a team meeting to discuss the substandard play of the Maple Leafs. Now, Crozier was widely viewed as an Imlach stooge, and subsequently was not a beloved coach.

"Come on guys...my job is on the line here" (Or some such appeal) was made to the room.

Imagine this: feeling embarassed for a man who is losing his dignity by pleading while at the same not really caring about said man all that much. You can imagine the "uncomfortable silence" that would settle over a dressing room.

It was Ian Turnbull who finally "piped up" to break the quiet.

Not so much with words, but rather with his arse. Ol' Ian hiked his haunches to one side and ripped a long, loudfart.

Ten-thousand doctoral theses could not have expressed a more thorough analysis.

Ian Turnbull: Poet Laureate of Carleton Street.

4/22/2010 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By yogsloth on 4/21/2010
I don't think I'm comfortable with the notion of adding WHA players. I'm not old enough to have any kind of nostalgia for what was essentially a crummy minor league with a handful of stars. If we took Mike Richards and Martin St. Louis and dropped them into the ECHL, they'd score 70 goals too... but that doesn't mean we need 20 seasons from the Ferraro twins in the database. I think it would be complete gibberish.

But then again, so are the golden seasons of Malone, Dye, et al.

Funny how this thread turned into something completely different, though. I too would love to see team influence lessened and PIMs thrown out of the DEF equation entirely.

Not quite accurate.

Try this; take all the foreign talent out of the NHL, and put them behind an Iron Curtain.
Underpay the hell out of the current NHL players and tie them to contracts that have the appearance of being able to be renewed by the team at any time.
Now, start a league that proves in court that those contracts are illegal, and starts tossing around lots of money...that they don't have.

What you would get is a few stars (most on the downslope), lots of journeymen, lots of fresh junior talent looking for the immediate payday that the NHL won't give them (a lot of which became legit stars), and the odd good player that squeezed through that Iron Curtain.

That, my friend, was the WHA. And that's why the appeal continues to this day, because they shoved it up the NHL's wahoo at a time when they were at their snottiest (except maybe now).
4/23/2010 1:33 PM
So what was the final verdict? Are they being put in, some time in the near future OR was the idea completely dropped?
4/27/2010 5:11 PM
Ya, I'd like to see it.

Hurry up before my progressive league guys all go AWOL for a few seasons in the WHA...
4/29/2010 2:35 PM
I have it from a very reliable source that we'll see the WHA players very shortly.
5/1/2010 3:56 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By SAKABAKBRG on 5/01/2010I have it from a very reliable source that we'll see the WHA players very shortly
Yay!!!!!
5/1/2010 7:18 AM
excellent!
5/1/2010 3:12 PM
So where are the WHA players?
5/14/2010 2:40 AM
I noticed that the WHA arenas have been loaded in. Although they may have been included all along?
5/15/2010 5:11 PM
mwelch, any updates how the WHA additions and hockey dynasty are progressing?
5/19/2010 7:44 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
WHA Teams & Players Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.