Cooperstown World Chat Topic

13 more to go before its just Mike and Smoel.....Looking forward to it. Hopefully ADMIN will receive the message.
4/9/2010 8:53 AM
That'd be kind of ironic if we never got to vote on Hall of Famers for world "Cooperstown."
4/9/2010 8:53 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By badhame7 on 4/09/201013 more to go before its just Mike and Smoel.....Looking forward to it. Hopefully ADMIN will receive the message

if it gets down to those 2 it would be amazing to see
4/9/2010 8:54 AM
Cooperstown was a good revenue source, always quick rollovers, a waiting list for owners to join. But it has been reduced to this.
4/9/2010 9:01 AM
Unless I receive a surprising answer to my support ticket filed this morning, I will be removing my team and asking for a refund (which I won't likely get, but still).
4/9/2010 9:10 AM
18 Openings....
4/9/2010 9:11 AM
Just to make everything perfectly clear, I'll recap the events.

Coop was what was considered an "elite" world. Experience and success was required to gain entry. There was a time when 65 wins would get you 2nd pick. Over the last few seasons, more and more teams starting dipping into the world of 100 losses. Not outright taking just more failing to compete. This was a slow burn for me. At the beginning of this season, several teams came out of the gate slowly(4-15 or so). Rather than contact each individually, as I had done in the past, I made a simple post that stated(paraphrased) "Regardless of your playoff chances, you are expected to compete for wins." All but one responded by actually winning some games. Not sure if they made changes or if it was just a co-incidence. Either way, I don't tell people how to run their teams, I just want to see results.

The one team that didn't respond was 28-63 at the All-Star break. During the break, he posted "Anyone making more than 1 million on my team is available." That was too much for me. Throughout about 40 TC, my point was "I don't care what you do but you need to compete for wins. Trading what little BL talent you have will not help." His point was "There's not much I can do at this point in the season." That is not good enough. I felt he built a team designed to lose or he was just in over his head competition-wise. He took a 77 win team and turned it into a 64 win team while cutting payroll. In a competitive world, I'd expect some improvement in Year 2. He cut more payroll and made his BL team worse. That's straight from the Tanker Handbook. Painting yourself in the corner with a bad team just isn't good enough.

So, while I was deciding how to handle this situation, another owner fell out of contention and dropped 17 straight while using fatigued pitching. I decided that he would not be invited back for "failure to compete." He and I share several worlds and he would be considered an HBD friend. But he had to go. At this point, I decided the other owner also had to go under the "failure to compete" umbrella.

One owner didn't exactly go quietly but he accepted the decision eventually and . The other owner decided to test WifS' policy of removal during rollover.

We rolled on 4/3 and I sent a ticket. After being told it was forwarded to ADMIN that afternoon, no more responses came despite numerous ticket updates.

I felt something was amiss and told the world that I'd transfer commish to the longest tenured Coop owner with the most experience and remove my team if the offending owner was allowed to stay. The owners in the world had a different idea when we found out what was happening.

And here we are.

4/9/2010 9:11 AM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
4/9/2010 9:15 AM
This has now become a fight about letting strong Commissioners of Private Worlds actually have power and permitting Private Worlds to have custom rules. ADMIN has effectively neutered them. Its no longer about one owner vs. a Coop commish. Its now become a HBD-wide issue. Coop owners are protesting the ruling by effectively shutting down the league.
4/9/2010 9:16 AM
and to add on to that, this has gone from an isolated incident to a giant crapstorm because of wis new policy of basically treating private and public worlds the same with ineffective tanking guidelines.

it's not just coop who is affected. it's anyone in, or anyone who commishes a private league. basically once you get in, only admin will kick an owner out and you have to be extremely horrible to meet wis new 'fair gameplay' shortcomings.

4/9/2010 9:17 AM
jinx, hame
4/9/2010 9:17 AM
and with dmurphy's proposed hbd boycott, it's not just going to be 25 or so cooperstown owners will withdraw their teams and go play in other worlds.

people who are outraged by wis new policy will not play hbd anymore, in any worlds

enjoy that loss of revenue, wis
4/9/2010 9:20 AM
19 openings in Coop.
4/9/2010 9:25 AM
I noticed smol is the commish in Mordecai. I thought I'd stop by and see if there was any relevent chat:

litigator01Progressives4/9/2010 9:13 AMThe fact that the other owners are pouting doesn't really impress me much. What if we had an "Augusta World" that flipped out when it realized there was a female owner in their midst?
litigator01Progressives4/9/2010 9:13 AMI'd expect that owner to stand her ground, and wouldn't really care if everyone else was melting down because of it. You say "selfish," I say "principled." I'm kind of glad we have a principled commish.
dwhit34Esucarys4/9/2010 9:11 AMI think there are some clear efforts to tanking. There is one owner who shall remain nameless who loves to post (not in this world) about how he doesn't understand the game.
dwhit34Esucarys4/9/2010 9:11 AMYet, he has guys out of position (regularly leading the league in errors) and finishes in the bottom 5 or so for about 4-5 seasons and says, "I really don't know what I am doing." He totally understands other WIS games,
dwhit34Esucarys4/9/2010 9:11 AMand he is slowly building up a power, and in my opinion, it looks like he has done this in many worlds. I have never seen him called out but that is tanking. Personally, I am in Camp which is a huge tanker world,
dwhit34Esucarys4/9/2010 9:11 AMbut I just try to win by my own rules. If someone wants to tank, well **** them, they waste their own money, but I would think that smoelheim is well aware of the rules and how to handle a team, so screw the boycott.
Oli35Eagles4/9/2010 9:06 AMI am completely familiar with the cooperstown situation as my wife was an original owner and I monitor her teams from time to time.
Oli35Eagles4/9/2010 9:06 AMSmoelheim speaks the truth but leaves out some important facts. He had a stretch last season of about 20 games of which he lost almost all of them.
Oli35Eagles4/9/2010 9:06 AMDuring the stretch he used starting pitchers with 0/0 rest. This was done either by neglect or deliberate tanking. Only Smoelheim knows for sure. This is why he was asked to leave. He refused and received absolutely no support fronm any other owners.
Oli35Eagles4/9/2010 9:06 AMThe commissioner, MikeT23 is an arrogant blowhard, but he is irrelevant here. Smoelheim has refused to leave. As a result the legue is falling apart. The rest of the league has no interest in playing with him after his stunt last season.
Oli35Eagles4/9/2010 9:06 AMSmoelheim can leave and let the world continue or he can stay and take down an entire world. There is no 3rd option. He has chosen to to stay. This is a selfish act. This is our commisioner.
smoelheimRadiation4/9/2010 7:20 AMLike I said, I generally agree with most of his points, although I disagree with his methods of getting them across. But thats his prerogative I guess.
smoelheimRadiation4/9/2010 7:20 AMI still maintain that I broke no league rules and there is no justification for expulsion. My method of building a franchise has worked n two other worlds, so I was executing the same plan there. I was never told I had to win now.
smoelheimRadiation4/9/2010 7:20 AMThey did institute a new rule forcing owners to win 55/125/195/280 games over 1/2/3/4 seasons now, and I tried to convince him that I was happy to play by those rules, but it fell on deaf ears. Decisions had already been made.
4/9/2010 9:34 AM
I really wish I was able to comment in Mordecai's world chat...
4/9/2010 9:36 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...10 Next ▸
Cooperstown World Chat Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.