Green’s World Rankings 4-20-10 Topic

Quote: Originally Posted By yoker70 on 4/20/2010#154 Cobbfather is pretty fun and competitive
normally when I see this (the competitve part, I don't opine on "fun"), I can usually come back with a pretty clear case to challenge the assertion

but Cobbfather is an odd world (especially the AL) ... at any point in time, the standings look like a list of haves and have-nots (lots of 100 win and 100 loss teams) ... so it ranks low by my arbitrary calculation ... but if you look at franchise history, it isn't the same 4 teams dominating every season ... sure, there are a few franchises that have been good all 7 seasons, and a couple of doormats ... but some of today's 100-win teams were 100-loss teams early in the world

it looks to me like the world might be a little less strict on discouraging "tanking," so franchises go through a more extreme boom-bust cycle than other worlds

I'll stick with my calcs that say the world isn't competitive at any one time (i.e. in any season there are haves and have-nots), but if you looked over multiple seasons, you see more franchises making the palyoffs than some of the other worlds so far down in these rankings
4/21/2010 9:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crickett13 on 4/21/2010Thanks green alway appreciate the time and effort you put in on this. I also find it friggin hilarious when someone whines and then says "And before you whine, grow some thick skin," You just can't buy that kind of entertainment.

Are you not bright? I gave a single opinion. Opinions can be positive, opinions can be negative. A negative one - mine - is not whining. It's just one opinion. Big difference.

Green seemed to handle my opinion better than you did, so I'll sitemail you a big hug and hopefully that will smooth things over.
4/21/2010 9:28 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By sergei91 on 4/21/2010
Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 4/21/2010
And who is interested in me ranking 3 worlds?

*raises hand a little*

MG
Coop
Hamilton

4/21/2010 9:58 AM
yay MLB world!
4/21/2010 10:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 98greenc5 on 4/21/2010I'll stick with my calcs that say the world isn't competitive at any one time (i.e. in any season there are haves and have-nots), but if you looked over multiple seasons, you see more franchises making the palyoffs than some of the other worlds so far down in these rankings

It'd require more digging than I'm sure you want to do, but that would be a great number to include in the formula - the number of playoff teams who were in the playoffs the season before.
4/21/2010 11:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leebubba on 4/21/2010
Quote: Originally posted by crickett13 on 4/21/2010Thanks green alway appreciate the time and effort you put in on this. I also find it friggin hilarious when someone whines and then says "And before you whine, grow some thick skin," You just can't buy that kind of entertainment.
Are you not bright? I gave a single opinion. Opinions can be positive, opinions can be negative. A negative one - mine - is not whining.

Your pre-emptive "don't whine back!" defense says otherwise.
4/21/2010 11:25 AM
I find this list highly niformative...further proof that moneyball is indeed the preeminant HBD world.
4/21/2010 11:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leebubba on 4/21/2010
Are you not bright? I gave a single opinion. Opinions can be positive, opinions can be negative. A negative one - mine - is not whining. It's just one opinion. Big difference.

Green seemed to handle my opinion better than you did, so I'll sitemail you a big hug and hopefully that will smooth things over.

Quit yer whinin' whiner.
4/21/2010 1:12 PM
Glad to see LEG is still up there. Nice job, green.
4/21/2010 1:41 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By bigal888 on 4/20/2010Ott and Joey Belle dropped like rocks..
Belle is better than ever - not sure what happened there.
4/21/2010 2:23 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By EasyE7273 on 4/21/2010Belle is better than ever - not sure what happened there
Season 14 had 7 100+ win teams and 5 100+ loss teams

Cleveland has won 100+ games for 11 straight seasons

Syracure has won 100+ games for 5 straight seasons

Jackson has won 100+ games for 6 straight seasons

Toledo has lost 100+ games 9 times in 14 seasons and never less than 85

I'll stand by the numbers that the world looks to be quite imbalanced right now
4/21/2010 2:53 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By leebubba on 4/21/2010

Quote: Originally posted by crickett13 on 4/21/2010

Thanks green alway appreciate the time and effort you put in on this.

I also find it friggin hilarious when someone whines and then says "And before you whine, grow some thick skin," You just can't buy that kind of entertainment.

I'm bright enough to see you don't have a very thick skin

And where is my hug damnit!!!
4/21/2010 4:16 PM
when you have 5 minutes to spare, it'd be interesting to see how team payrolls factor in.. i'll bet there are quite a few .500 teams with $113M payrolls tucked away in those more competitive worlds...

otherwise, thanks..
4/23/2010 3:35 AM
I may not have a complete understanding of HBD but I don't thnk you get extra credit for low payroll. You either win games or you don't.
4/23/2010 6:33 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By tropicana on 4/20/2010I don't know...Foxx was ok this season. Maybe not fun, but tolerable, right
It won't be 2nd last after this season clears.

But, it won't be top 100 either.
4/23/2010 12:55 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Green’s World Rankings 4-20-10 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.