You don’t know Bo Topic

But you will. Bo Jackson has a history. Of a lot of owner turnover. No real reason that I can see. No n00b-raping, no alias issues(with one notable exception), no super teams, no super sucky teams(with one notable exception), just lots and lots of turnover. So a couple of owners sought out a commish. A unique strategy, I believe. I made some demands, laid out the ground rules and took the job. The 21 returning owners agreed and we filled in a day as we had the good fortune of several very good owners coming on(and we added a few inexperienced owners that I would have turned away from Coop/MG).

The goal is to elevate the competition level of the world and retain owners. So far, so good.

I'm going to use this thread to track some stuff so read on at your own discretion.

In S13, we will give out 3 $10 GC(generously donated by the returning owners).
1. New owner showing the most improvement by percentage.
2. New owner making the playoffs or best record.
3. Returnee who missed playoffs showing the most improvement by percentage.

1 prize per family to be paid after S14 schedule is generated.
5/6/2010 4:10 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
5/6/2010 4:11 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
5/6/2010 4:11 PM
My demands(plus $60 in GC):

Rules:
1. Season win minimums. 55/125/195/280 in consecutive seasons. Failure to reach these simple goals in any grouped season will result in removal.
2. No buying/selling of players. Trades can never have more cash than salary exchanging hands.
3. No releasing big league salaried players making more than the minimum. There is no point in this. If you do it, you'll need to explain it or you won't be invited back.
4. Extended losing streaks, especially from out of contention teams, will not be tolerated. They happen but, when they do, you need to be doing everything "right" to stop it. Because I will check your team to make sure.

Admission requirements:
I'm willing to take on two brand spanking new owners and two owners with less than three season's experience. You will be subject to rule #1 but I will be willing to help you with any questions you may have(as long as they don't pertain to players on other teams or if you want me to set your line-up). I will strongly suggest that inexperienced owners avoid hitter's parks in their early seasons and am considering a trade moratorium until a set # of games are played. Inexperienced owners will also need to explain, in world chat, the logic behind any deal they want to make prior to the A/S break.
5/6/2010 4:14 PM
My theory is you have to get owners thru the third season to retain them. They need to see the possible future of that IFA or draft pick. They need to feel the team is "their team" instead of what was given to them.

My goal, in additon to stabilizing owner turnover, is to be a little less picky on experience requirements and introduce(and help) some newer owners learn the ropes of HBD. So we're hoping to be n00b-friendly. I guess the n00bs will be the ultimate judge of that.
5/6/2010 4:29 PM
I also believe good HBD owners aren't interested in playing in worlds where 30 win teams are tolerated. Or where super teams win 125 with a 33m payroll every season. Hence the win rules.
5/6/2010 4:38 PM
I also think the world chat is good when the debate turns to me racing Usain Bolt for 50 feet where I get a free first step and he has to take one false step in the wrong direction. leppy says I win. I agree.

By the way, it started as a debate of speed/range.
5/6/2010 4:41 PM
Can you do 50 feet in 11 seconds? You got it then.

Personally, the only way I think you can get your tub of goo 50 feet in 11 seconds is if there's a plate of hot wings at the other end of the finish line.
5/6/2010 4:46 PM
MikeT23 is an ***-sucking bastard who could never outrun Usain Bolt no matter how much of a head start he got.
5/6/2010 4:48 PM
My self-restraint has limits.
5/6/2010 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 5/06/2010
I also think the world chat is good when the debate turns to me racing Usain Bolt for 50 feet where I get a free first step and he has to take one false step in the wrong direction. leppy says I win. I agree.

By the way, it started as a debate of speed/range.

i told you mike...let's do this....
5/6/2010 5:33 PM
50 feet in 11 seconds? Hell, yeah. Leppy broke it down in the Bo Jackson blog. I was a 274 lb defensive tackle. While I'd have to gain 50 lbs to be that heavy, I'd also have to age -25 years and develop pro prospect talent. But, he based it on a 5 second 40. I think, from starting blocks and with a little training, a 5ish 40 would be possible. I'm pretty active for an old dude.

Anyway, the debate started about range/speed. My contention that speed certainly helps but, if you reacted poorly at the crack of the bat, you're screwed. Your momentum is going the wrong way so you have to shift that and regain the lost step. I used 50 feet because I don't know how many catches are made after running 50+ feet but I'm guessing not many. So that lost step is huge in determining range.
5/6/2010 5:34 PM
Leppytime!!

MikeT vs. bad outfield instincts Usain Bolt

This analysis is not perfect, since all of the splits required are not contained. I erred on Bolt's side in every bit I could where a discrepancy arose.

Usain Bolt - 6'5" elite sprinter, but poor outfielder instincts, takes a wrong step.
MikeT - 270 lb Defensive lineman prospect, who assumedly has good outfielder instincts.

Who gets to the ball first?

Considering you have 6'5" Bolt assumedly taking an entire wrong step before changing direction, we can compare the reaction time/change of direction speed between a 20 yard split (on a 40 yard dash) and a 20 yard shuttle, which features 2 changes of direction.

For the sake of easy conversion, I've decided they will be running 55 feet instead of 50 (as the original problem suggests).

Assumed,
MikeT - 55 foot sprint.
Bolt - 2.5 feet wrong direction, 180 degree turn, 57.5 feet sprint.

The best (20 yd or 5/10/5) shuttle took 4.00 at this season's combine (http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#tp-tab-set-1:tp-grid-container-twenty-yard-shuttle). If you aren't familiar with the 20 yard shuffle, it takes place on grass. The player must sprint 5 yards, touch a line, turn 180 degrees, sprint 10 more yards, touch the other line, change direction again, and go back to their original position (5 more yards). It's called the 5/10/5 shuttle, and it's used to measure agility and change of direction/acceleration for NFL prospects.

Chris Johnson has the fastest 10 yard split in combine history at 1.4 (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_fastest_10_yard_split_in_the_40_yard_dash).

Assuming the best 10 yard split 4.0 total time - (1.4 (CJ 10 yd Dash) x 2 (20 yards not 10)) = 1.2. 1.2 / 2 change of directions = 0.6 to change direction comparing top athletes at the NFL combine with the best speed.

Bolt's 20 meter (21.87 yd) splits - 2.89. (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ua8ycqfc4ok/Sok0X9U62uI/AAAAAAAABq8/HJwymrWaDn4/s1600-h/Table.gif) Assuming he is not still accelerating, and taking his 20 meter time, adjusting it to 50 feet, is (which is in Bolt's favor), that he takes 2.64 seconds to run 60 feet. Add in an elite change of direction, estimated at (0.6), and neglecting both the acceleration for those 5 feet twice, and basing his total time on a higher average speed than attainable (at 55 ft), we've got a 3.24 second extremely optimistic estimate to complete the above for Bolt.

The combine is hand-timed, while Olympic sprints are timed from the gun electronically. Since the athlete determines when to start (the 40) in the combine, an average error of a human is 0.25 seconds, so I'll be adding that into MikeT's combine times.

MikeT will be 274 lb unsigned DT prospect (MIKE bennetT) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bennett_(defensive_tackle) ) running a 5.00 40 yard sprint, with a 2.84 20 yard sprint. (Adjusting for combine hand timing, average error of 0.25) = 3.09 20 yard sprint. Adjusting this to 55 feet (similar conversion as Bolt's) would be 2.83.

Assuming Bolt is the "best" at these other drills (which is a stretch considering Bolt doesn't even reach his top speed during his first 40 meters, much less his first 20). Also, we are assuming that Bolt is elite in agility, which probably isn't the case, since reaction time/change of direction have nothing to do with sprinting, it's just acceleration/top speed... and taking every liberty in Bolt's favor.

Usain Bolt - 3.24
MikeT - 2.83

MikeT wins by a couple of steps. Even if Usain had "best ever" reaction times to the ball being hit, this doesn't make up for the bad step or the 0.41 second that the huge/slow player takes to get there. (average reaction time somewhere around a quarter of a second).
5/6/2010 5:37 PM
Damn. Nobody found leppy's analysis interesting? Might be the first time for me but, of course, he backed up my contention that first step is more important to range than speed but still.
5/7/2010 7:24 AM
I did when i read it on the blog, im still looking for the flaw but i cant find one...
5/7/2010 7:53 AM
1|2|3...16 Next ▸
You don’t know Bo Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.