You don’t know Bo Topic

I think the disconnect here is that people are counting flyballs that are in the air 6-7 seconds. Even the slowest OF in MLB is going to catch that ball even if he hesitates or takes a wrong step.

The players who are considered to have good range are the ones who catch the ball in the gaps before the runner ever reaches first base. So those balls are in the air 4 seconds(or less). As has been noted, the average MLB player can cover 80 feet, more or less, in those 4 seconds. The fastest player ever, Deion, could probably cover an additional 15 feet in the same time period. I don't recall, during his career, anyone gushing about what a great OF he was. In fact, the RF9s for his career in LF, CF, RF are below the league averages.
5/15/2010 7:56 AM
Straw Man, who said anything about 6-7 second fly balls?
5/15/2010 12:32 PM
Can we all agree that whatever the interplay between instincts and speed (a bit like the nature vs. nurture argument, in that both factors have a big impact) that to be a CF with great, elite range in MLB you need to have speed AND instincts?

I think people see players like this and scratch their heads

Humberto Julio

Range of 90 and speed of 43? Doesn't jive, I don't think players like these exist in real life. Especially in the outfield.

The problem with the HBD ratings is they are transferable between positions, so while I can see a SS have great range and subpar speed, I can't see it in the outfield, particularly CF. But a guy like this can play IF or OF and see no difference in his range, despite the fact that he has subpar speed.
5/15/2010 12:41 PM
Well, you've noted that the average MLB player can only cover 90 feet is 4.3 seconds. If he's making a catch after a 100 ft run, one can only assume the ball is in the air 5+ seconds. Which also assumes the perfect break on the ball. Baserunners know exactly where they're going before they walk to the plate. An OF needs to wait until the ball is struck to figure out which way to go. So, if you're going to talk about the great catch you made after a 100 ft run, I assume the ball was in the air 5+ seconds. Unless, of course, you're faster than Bo Jackson.

I said, in our world chat, that fast guys who can't judge fly balls are infielders in MLB. I do agree that a range of 90 with a speed of 43 doesn't work in the OF. However, I have no issue with a speed of 90 and a range of 43.

5/15/2010 1:37 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By leppykahn on 5/14/2010http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmSZwj4q3Lc&feature=related

wow
5/15/2010 8:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pirateswin2 on 5/15/2010
Quote: Originally Posted By leppykahn on 5/14/2010http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmSZwj4q3Lc&feature=related wow

Gatorade viral commercial ftw
5/15/2010 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jtrinsey on 5/15/2010
Quote: Originally posted by pirateswin2 on 5/15/2010
Quote: Originally Posted By leppykahn on 5/14/2010http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmSZwj4q3Lc&feature=related wow
Gatorade viral commercial ftw

funny, the catcher is either handed or they inverted the image for some reason...
5/17/2010 8:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MikeT23 on 5/15/2010Well, you've noted that the average MLB player can only cover 90 feet is 4.3 seconds.  If he's making a catch after a 100 ft run, one can only assume the ball is in the air 5+ seconds.  Which also assumes the perfect break on the ball.  Baserunners know exactly where they're going before they walk to the plate.  An OF needs to wait until the ball is struck to figure out which way to go.  So, if you're going to talk about the great catch you made after a 100 ft run, I assume the ball was in the air 5+ seconds.  Unless, of course, you're faster than Bo Jackson.I said, in our world chat, that fast guys who can't judge fly balls are infielders in MLB.  I do agree that a range of 90 with a speed of 43 doesn't work in the OF.  However, I have no issue with a speed of 90 and a range of 43. 

i have no issues with a speed of 90 and a range of 43 as well...

it's the inverse i have issues with...
5/17/2010 8:19 AM
Not sure why. The slowest ML player has to be one of the Molinas. How long do you think it takes him to cover 90 feet? I doubt it's 6 seconds.

So, again, we're talking about flyballs that are in the air 3-4 seconds. His lack of speed could be covered by an outstanding jump on the ball.
5/17/2010 9:13 AM
Uh, one of the Molinas is on the Jays, and I believe he rides a motorized scooter around the bases.
5/18/2010 9:43 AM
11 MPH is faster than any of the Molinas in a sprint.
5/18/2010 9:50 AM
Oxymoron alert!
5/18/2010 9:54 AM
Seems about the right time to bump this thread...
6/11/2010 6:47 PM
How are the new rules working out?
6/14/2010 11:26 AM
hehehe
6/14/2010 11:32 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...16 Next ▸
You don’t know Bo Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.