1888 Elton Chamberlain: 2 inning closer Topic

He's the best guy in my bullpen. Do you think if I set Chamberlain to 40-50 pitches, to enter the game in 8th, Sparky will use him as a 2 inning closer?
5/7/2010 12:19 AM
Yes. I've had guys used that way in the past. In general it seems like they come in for the 8th about 1/2-2/3 of the time when it's a save opp. If it goes to the ninth he'll come in every time still, but you can get a decent number of 8th innings out of him. He could go 3 if you set him to be available in the 7th...
5/7/2010 12:27 AM
he's more likely to be used in the 8th inning if you have nobody at Setup.

He may be called in any close game and then come up to bat. either he gets pulled for a PH or you waste a good PH opportunity. Sparky doesn't always do what you want.
5/7/2010 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rbow923 on 5/07/2010he's more likely to be used in the 8th inning if you have nobody at Setup.He may be called in any close game and then come up to bat. either he gets pulled for a PH or you waste a good PH opportunity. Sparky doesn't always do what you want.
Interesting insight. Wondering if I I set my Double Switch to 5, it would help that? If I have no one at Set-Up, what should I set them at? I still have usable relievers, I just want to Maximize Elton when the game is on the line.
5/7/2010 12:46 AM
if he's not getting enough innings at Closer you can also use him as a Spot Starter in important games.
5/7/2010 1:48 AM
I've had Setup A along with a Closer A available a lot, and I see the Closer coming in in the 8th a lot, which is usually fine with me. Use only in save situations = OFF. Available in the 8th.
5/7/2010 8:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rbow923 on 5/07/2010if he's not getting enough innings at Closer you can also use him as a Spot Starter in important games.
Yes, I have used him tons of times and he is money. I am most interested in advice about settings to max out the Saves. Thanks.
5/7/2010 12:35 PM
Am I not getting this ? I looked him up and he has 370 IP and cost $12 million.

And you want to use him as a closer???

You are either an innovative thinker, far ahead of the curve or a dumbass.
5/7/2010 5:30 PM
You're looking at his full season.

Look up his partial season with the Browns...one of the very best pitchers in all of WIS.
5/7/2010 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By truemen on 5/07/2010
Am I not getting this ? I looked him up and he has 370 IP and cost $12 million.

And you want to use him as a closer???

You are either an innovative thinker, far ahead of the curve or a dumbass.

I doubt Bilfert is a dumbass, prob one of the top 10 guys on this site as far as building teams and winning with them...
5/7/2010 6:52 PM
I stand corrected. Chamberlain is a guy I will have to take a look at.
5/7/2010 7:34 PM
So in closing truemen which is it?

I appreciate it Bastan, I used to be pretty good at this when I played Live. I could Micro-manage and make all my moves. Now I just play Sim, and I have lost my WiS Mojo. I enjoy running leagues and making teams but I don't take the time to manage them properly. The biggest thing that I think I lack is the knowledge of the settings and how to get Sparky to do what you want him to do. This was the purpose of the thread. I was obviously playing a bit coy so that I could get genuine answers. I do have an idea of how to do it, but I am looking for some real evidence or experience from a guy who has done this.

I think that the both the pitch setting and the double switch setting will be important in this endeavor. If anyone else has some advice, I would love to hear it. The draft in this league ends tomorrow and the league will begin midweek, I will let you know what I find out.
5/8/2010 1:11 PM
I set Elton at Closer A (with no Closer B) Inning Available 8 with all my other RP set to either 6th or 7th Inning. His pitch count is 40-50 pitches and Call to the bullpen set to 1.

I set Double switch to 4 (Aggressive)** and pinch hitting to 3 (Normal). I am thinking I should lower pinch hitting to 2 (Infrequent).

I have not checked the "User closer only in save situations" hoping that he will enter a close game or tie game. I think he has plenty of innings just incase Sparky wastes an inning or two.

My Batting Order:
1911 Cobb
1896 Jennings
1930 Lindstrom
2000 Erstad
1949 J. Robinson
1920 Sisler
1906 George Stone
1971 Sanguillen

Bench:
1979 Champ Summers
2006 Freddy Sanchez
1998 Mike Redmond
1931 Taylor Douthit
1982 Mike Davis
1984 Daryl Boston (for late stolen base)

*these notes are for me to have noted, as well I thought I would share with the group just incase someone else wants to try him.
** Later changed to 5 (very aggressive)
5/13/2010 6:30 PM
Game 3 (AWAY: Shea Stadium)

With the score 4-2 Elton enters the game in the 8th inning. Sparky does NOT double switch with Elton due up 2nd in the top of the 9th. After giving up a single in the 8th he gets out of the inning. My lead-off hitter singles in the 9th. Elton stays in to hit and successfully sac bunts. He gives up two hits in the bottom of the ninth and gets the save throwing 29 pitches.

APPEARANCES: 1
SAVES: 1
BLOWN SAVES: 0
WINS: 0
LOSSES: 0
IP: 2.0
ERA: 0.00
WHIP: 1.50
OAV: .333

BOXSCORE
5/13/2010 6:36 PM
As far as pinch-hitting goes...if you've got a narrow lead in the 8th, to the point where you want your "money" closer in to preserve it, does it matter if he brings his crappy bat to the plate in the ninth?

To me, that's a chance worth taking if he's so good you want him going those last two innings for you.
5/13/2010 7:27 PM
123456 Next ▸
1888 Elton Chamberlain: 2 inning closer Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.