1888 Elton Chamberlain: 2 inning closer Topic

GAME 16 (AWAY: Rogers Centre)

After my team scores 2 in the top of the 9th to tie the score Elton enters the game in the bottom of the 9th with the score tied 3-3. Sparky does NOT double switch with Elton even though Elton is due up 1st in the following inning. He gives up 1 hit in the bottom of the 9th before he gets out of the inning. Elton bats for himself and proceeds to throw 5 shutout innings. He throws 48 pitches (setting are 45 pitches with max 60). He bats again to lead of the 13th inning. Although he makes an out, my team scores two in the inning. Elton gives up a hit in the bottom of the 13th and shuts the door to earn the win. Although he pitches 5 innings, he is still 100% heading into the next game.

APPEARANCES: 8
SAVES: 5
BLOWN SAVES: 0
WINS: 2
LOSSES: 0
IP: 13.2
ERA: 0.00
WHIP: .73
OAV: .152

BOXSCORE
5/18/2010 1:34 AM
I have to say, if I were playing Live, I would have ridden Elton for 5 innings and let him finish off the game. Again, I would have expected a Double switch in the 9th. I am pretty surprised that Sparky did not bring someone else in to close the game. I guess this proves that once the closer is in, the SIM does not recognize a save situation if there is no one else set as Closer B.
5/18/2010 1:36 AM
Very interesting. I'm paying close attention to what you learn, especially with the pinch hitting and double switch situations. I'm trying a team where no pitcher on my roster should go over 4 innings, and I've got a bench full of pinch hitters, so a pitcher should never bat in a scoring situation...we'll see.
5/18/2010 9:46 AM
Are all of your bench players D- fielders? that's the only logical reason I can think of as to why the sim may not double switch.
5/18/2010 2:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thats_nice on 5/18/2010Are all of your bench players D- fielders? that's the only logical reason I can think of as to why the sim may not double switch.
Mike Redmond: B/A/A+ RL BA: .331
Freddy Sanchez: 2B: A+/D- 3B: A/A- SS: B/A- RL BA: .344
Taylor Douthit: B/A RL BA: .331
Mike Davis: C/A+ RL BA: .400
Champ Summers: B-/D- RL BA: .313
Daryl Boston: D-/D+ RL BA: .169(he is last resort PH, only for SB)

I would say that is 4 good options to double switch. Especially since Manny Sanguillen is currently hitting .183 in the 8 slot. I have all my Position/PH Hierarchies set and I have defensive subs set to come in.
5/18/2010 2:23 PM
I can't wait to see what admin says. Redmond douthit and davis could all enter the game late.
5/18/2010 4:42 PM
redmond sanchez and douthit are probably better than your starters
5/18/2010 4:43 PM
Do you have the "Def Rep" and "Allow Rest" boxes checked for the players you want removed from the game (in Advanced Hitting Settings)?

Based on the last couple of games, it seems like Sparky's logic tree might be truncated at the 9th inning concerning the DS, meaning that he might not even consider the would-be 10th-inning lineup. Which, obviously, is retarded.

Also, is Elton coming in to start the inning, or mid-inning? Maybe the sim will only do a double-switch mid-inning?
5/18/2010 6:54 PM
GAME 18 (AWAY: Chase Field)

Pedro goes 4 innings and Long A Orel Hershiser enters the game up 3-2. both teams score 1 in the 5th and have a scoreless 6th. Elton does not enter the game in the bottom of the 7th (as requested) up 4-3. As a matter of fact, Orel (up first in the 7th) hits for himself in a close game and Elton does not enter the game in the 8th up 4-3 either. My team scores twice in the top of the 9th and Elton finally enters to close the game inthe 9th inning. Sparky does NOT double switch with Elton even though Elton is due up 3rd in 10th if the game extends. As a matter of fact no defensive subs are brought in again. He gives up 1 hit and 1 walk in the bottom of the 9th before he gets out of the inning. Elton picks up the save.

APPEARANCES: 9
SAVES: 6
IP: 14.2
WHIP: .82
OAV: .167

BOXSCORE
5/19/2010 12:35 AM
Redmond and Douthit are short PA's and my IF has higher BA/OBP than Sanchez. I have both Def Rep and Allow Rest checked.

Although I won, Game 16 is frustrating. Sparky seems to be ignoring all my settings.

Elton does not come in in the 7th or the 8th with a Save opportunity. The is no double switch with Elton coming up 3rd.

I am thinking I might change my defensive replacement to 2 run lead. Maybe that will make a difference. Although, I hate to lose my hitters in a close game.

5/19/2010 12:39 AM
GAME 19 (AWAY: Chase Field)

Charlie Ferguson goes 6 innings and talkes a 3-1 lead. Elton does not enter the game in the bottom of the 7th (as requested) up 3-1. Doug Henry gets one out and gives up a double. Instead of bringing Elton in to kill the rally and finish the inning Sparky beings in Set Up A Johnny Niggeling. Niggeling pitches well walking one in 1.2 innings. For some reason Elton does not come in in the 7th or the 8th. Sparky does NOT double switch with Elton as Elton is due up 7th in the 10th. Elton throws 7 pitches for a perfect 9th. Elton picks up the save.

APPEARANCES: 10
SAVES: 7
IP: 15.2
WHIP: .77
OAV: .151

BOXSCORE
5/19/2010 1:56 AM
For what it is worth, my team is 11-8 and in 2nd place. Elton is currently in first place for both the Cy Young and the Fireman Awards.
5/19/2010 1:58 AM
GAME 18 (AWAY: Chase Field)

Elton enters the game with 2 outs and one on in the bottom of the 8th leading 11-5. Although not what I would want, I take responsibility as I has no Mop-Up and he was the last available RP in the pen with rest. After an error from Jackie Robinson in the 8th Elton gets out of the inning. He gives up 1 hit in the 9th (to PH Silver King of all people) and then gets out of the inning.

APPEARANCES: 11
SAVES: 7
IP: 17
WHIP: .76
OAV: .153

BOXSCORE
5/19/2010 2:21 PM
Although it is not with Elton, Sparky double switches for the first time this season. In the 8th inning Champ Summers enters to PH for Rob Dibble. Vida Blue enters in the bottom of the inning and is inserted 6th in the Line-Up to Replace George Sisler (Summers replaces him defensively). Considering Ty Cobb ended the 8th inning and was lifted for a Defensive Sub as well. I am unsure why Blue does not take the lead off spot replacing Cobb making him the 9th batter due up instead of being swapped with Sisler in the 6th spot. It seems that the logic only switches in connection with defense. Sparky seems to not be able to use intelligence to carefully select the positions in the reshuffled line-up.

I may be on to the fact that Double Switches are tied to the Defensive Replacement setting (since I just adjusted those settings). This is not how it should be. Considering that they are two separate settings, they should not be tied together. Double Switching with a Relief Pitcher is an every day occurrence in the NL. Double switches are not meant to occur to sacrifice the entire line-up but be a singular chess move late in the game to maximize the pieces on the bench.
5/19/2010 2:31 PM
There's no way Sparky should take a guy out of the game if it violates your Defensive Replacement settings... they should match whatever criteria you're using to let Chamberlain into the game. I think that's part of the problem - a 7th-inning 'save opportunity' is pretty vaguely defined.

I would think you'd have more luck if you had 'Defensive Replacements if winning by 1 or more, 8th inning,' put DS on 5, and set Elton to enter in the eighth. Of course, you'd get less innings out of him.
5/19/2010 2:48 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
1888 Elton Chamberlain: 2 inning closer Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.